The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurboCretin
What's your point?

Physicists do the math, engineers put it into practice. I don't see how the academics' work is more 'real' than what the engineers do.

I really think you're taking my point a bit too literally. The person I was originally talking to was saying that academia has nothing to do with the real world. I said that given that academia is the study of the real world, I don't see how that point makes sense. This really wasn't supposed to be some kind of important philosophical statement!
Original post by Dalek1099
My mam quit work to become a mother then became mentally ill and then got took off Disability Living Allowance by the ATOS tests and then she went on JSA and then she was a carer for her mam and got Carer's Allowance but she died over two years ago and she went back on JSA and in one interview she was asked when she last worked and she said August 1986 and they wanted her to have worked recently.

My dad stopped working in 1984 I think due to mental illness and since then he divorced my mam and married another woman who gets money through her solicitor(something her rich parents set up I think) and through shares and stuff they don't really get that much each year and usually spend it too quickly but he still gets some disability payments and is applying for some sort of pension credits he is 64 now.

I am not sure about my career aspiration but I am interested in Meteorology/ doing pure maths research I want to solve some juicy maths equations.I have always been very talented at academia since I was a child and I am motivated by my obsession with academia, my love of Maths and the fact that I really want to get better grades than everyone else.

Your story doesn't give you an excuse to be arrogant and ignorant of others, also stop talking like your higher than others, my cousin had a worser upbringing than you and has still remained humble, her parents have a mental illness and her siblings, they poor, dad only works in a take away, she went to worst state school in the area but still got into Cambridge, so for your own sake get a reality check before dissing people with B's just because in your mind they haven't worked as hard, I dont care about your struggles in life, because iv experienced worse and seen worse, its no wonder you got lot of red gems
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
I really think you're taking my point a bit too literally. The person I was originally talking to was saying that academia has nothing to do with the real world. I said that given that academia is the study of the real world, I don't see how that point makes sense. This really wasn't supposed to be some kind of important philosophical statement!

I don't think the guy you quoted meant what he said so literally, either!
Reply 83
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Even though it is pretty much universal? :rolleyes:

The closest thing I remember to that was the "go to work with your parent" thing. It is obviously not as universal as your bubble world says it is.
Reply 84
Or maybe times have changed or you just went to a particularly terrible school?

Neither A nor B. Any more excuses for being wrong?
Reply 85
Most people I've have spoken to have work experience from year 10.

And most people I've spoken to haven't. Anecdotal evidence is not sufficient to make the claim you made.

That's funny, I believe you took my point too literally too:

Original post by CJKay
not that useful for the majority of jobs in the real world.

nothing to do with the real world.
(edited 9 years ago)
You do realise that he probably did this because he felt insecure about his achievements and the other person probably struck a nerve? Some people feel the need to justify their worth to themselves and others because deep down, underneath that thin layer of arrogance, lies a feeling of utter despair and worthlessness...

That's deep...
Reply 87
Original post by Audiology-Med
Your story doesn't give you an excuse to be arrogant and ignorant of others, also stop talking like your higher than others, my cousin had a worser upbringing than you and has still remained humble, her parents have a mental illness and her siblings, they poor, dad only works in a take away, she went to worst state school in the area but still got into Cambridge, so for your own sake get a reality check before dissing people with B's just because in your mind they haven't worked as hard, I dont care about your struggles in life, because iv experienced worse and seen worse, its no wonder you got lot of red gems

I don't really get how their story is much worse, my parents have never worked for decades nevermind takeaways.I have witnessed my mam have a mental breakdown and my dad threaten my brother with a lighter(due to mental illness I think) and I went to mental hospitals regularly when I was a child to visit them my parents have both been in multiple times.
Reply 88
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Bro, do you even lift?

I don't work out as I couldn't really be bothered and it costs money, which I am not prepared to pay.
Reply 89
Original post by Plastic Face
Do you have a girlfriend?

What's your opinion on this?

No and my opinion on this is that its upsetting like most guys I haven't been able to find one, the bad thing is I have had opportunities and not took them, they occurred though when I was too young and wasn't really ready I suppose.
Reply 90
Original post by Yellow636
What other universities did you apply too?

I also applied to Warwick,Durham,Newcastle and Northumbria Warwick will probably be my insurance although I am contemplating Durham since its in the local area.
Reply 91
Original post by Classical Liberal
Which college?

I applied to Emmanuel College as I enjoyed staying there during my Summer School and plus it has a free laundry service and is joint top of the average Tompkins table over the time it has been used, the college is only 5th now though.
Reply 92
Original post by Iamyourfather
Seems you had a tough upbringing. The attention was hardly focused on you and so you turned to working hard in academia to get some. Your obsession with academia and the success of your achievements has made you arrogant, unafraid to say things that are charged with irrationality. Try to stop viewing yourself as a mortal god because you have a couple of A*s. After a while, your academic achievements will not be as admired and you'll have nothing else to make you feel good.

I have got an offer from Cambridge if I meet the offer then I will have got into what is pretty much the hardest course in all academia in the world(or at least in my opinion it is definitely on of the best) and thus in the premier league of academia and then I will be competing to be the best in the world of academia.
Reply 93
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
How do you plan to use your degree? Congrats on the offer. :smile:

I am interested in going into Meteorology/Pure Mathematics but I am not sure about Meteorology now as I have seen there are limited opportunities and I would have to move to Exeter.It is more about getting a good grade in such a good qualification it doesn't matter too much what job I get as long as its a decent job with about a 20K salary and interesting.The way the job market is you don't really get to choose what job you get, you really just get the best you can.
Reply 94
Original post by CescaD96
Curious: I got a B in GCSE Maths, and a C in GCSE Additional Maths. In your book, does that make me an idiot?

A B grade is just about above average so these are not good grades but you are not an idiot as you still passed, if you don't get Cs in both English and Maths then you are an idiot.
Reply 95
Original post by Dalek1099

I am not sure about my career aspiration but I am interested in Meteorology/ doing pure maths research I want to solve some juicy maths equations.I have always been very talented at academia since I was a child and I am motivated by my obsession with academia, my love of Maths and the fact that I really want to get better grades than everyone else.

Loved that paragraph, you seem like a really passionate guy, good luck man!
Reply 96
You do realise that he probably did this because he felt insecure about his achievements and the other person probably struck a nerve? Some people feel the need to justify their worth to themselves and others because deep down, underneath that thin layer of arrogance, lies a feeling of utter despair and worthlessness...

I sometimes feel like I will admit I often feel the need to be worth something and better than other people to be useful to society otherwise there isn't much point to living when I'm down my success in academia keeps me going and how much my teachers believe in me(they think I am really really talented and expect so much from me) ,without it I would be much more depressed than I am now.
Reply 97
Original post by G8D
Are you a quota? You look like a quota.

I don't get this something with a limited quantity?
Reply 98
Original post by Iamyourfather
Well, I'm sorry if it came off that way but unfortunate circumstances doesn't permit the dehumaisation of people who haven't achieved the same grades (OP compared less academically successful people to animals). Same rule applies to those who are insecure about themselves as it cancels out any common sense.

If that's the case I feel deeply sorry for them. It's been said to death but there really is more to life than just A-grades and the OP will find that out soon enough. I wish him well at Cambridge nonetheless.

I have always went through life defining myself by grades eg.I've progressed from GCSE to A Level any time outside study is relaxing from studying/maybe being a bit lazy, life is like levels in a game really and you have to try and get through each level and the current level is A Level.
Reply 99
Original post by Comeback
Hi Dalek, congratulations on your Cambridge offer!

You did Geography AS AQA according to your profile:

Geography 1-118(A)

Geography 2-54(A)

I finished the full A-Level last year (got a B
:colondollar:)

I am a few marks away from an A, so will be resitting Geography Unit 2.

My Geography Unit 1 was actually slightly higher than yours, but my Unit 2 is on the C/B boundary. I need a high B to get the A. For some reason I really struggle with this paper (only Geography paper I got a C in).
:s-smilie:

Do you have any advice in particular? Did you just just make lots of fieldwork notes and look at different graphs/statistical tests?

I know you've probably forgotten most of it as it was a while ago, but any tips/advice you can remember will help! :smile:

Its probably best to look on my thread it has loads of tips and notes on a lot of the topics of that unit, close to the exam I was just answering any question people posed and this helped me remember key details for questions but the whole unit is pretty simple and some people learned set answers for each topic it was that repetitive make decent notes on your fieldwork and look over past papers and you should do fine.I'm not sure whether I can give any better advice than that as I thought I had done much worse in the exam and didn't do that well in my mock I was lucky really.My notes weren't too large they only took about an hour to go over but that meant I could go over them more and learn the key facts.

Quick Reply

Latest