The Student Room Group

What's your idea of a Mickey Mouse degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
A degree that is taken by someone who is only studying because they don't want to go to work yet. I don't really care what the subject is.
Reply 81
Original post by sherlockfan
can I ask what it is that you do?

Of course :smile: Without going into too many specifics (as I prefer to stay reasonably anonymous), I'm an assistant psychologist. It's very varied, but a sample day might involve helping people regain skills, assessing and managing behavioural risk, providing emotional support and conducting psychological assessments. I'm only an assistant (doctoral course still to come) but even at this level my job is busy, useful to others and fulfilling. Does that answer your question? Feel free to ask more if not :smile:

I think I read further back that you're not the biggest fan of psychology :tongue: can I ask what caused that?
Original post by TorpidPhil
First link:

You're not getting graded on your skill at the game. You're being rated at your understanding of macro-management within video game metas as well as your ability to predict the behaviour of participants in the game. It's basically economic's game theory combined with sports psychology. I've studied this all informally myself. It's very interesting and it has applications in all other sports and even business with calculating risk and the actions of other firms in markets.

I "studied" this informally too, for 11,000 hours or so... Would i have paid 27 grand to be taught the same information? All you're paying for is their official terminology and prose. I'm still holding it's mickey-mousiness. There is a lot of theory behind PvP in games, but does that mean we should have legit gaming courses?
Original post by HigherMinion
I "studied" this informally too, for 11,000 hours or so... Would i have paid 27 grand to be taught the same information? All you're paying for is their official terminology and prose. I'm still holding it's mickey-mousiness. There is a lot of theory behind PvP in games, but does that mean we should have legit gaming courses?

Since it has clear employment benefits, yes.

Problem of course would be demonstrating that to employers as it tends to be rather esoteric knowledge. And again, you are only paying for a class not a course itself. The class is only a fragment of that 27k that you're paying. There are many other classes, all the university facilities, the ability to speak to people with more knowledge about the subjects than you and so on.
Original post by PangXie
Of course :smile: Without going into too many specifics (as I prefer to stay reasonably anonymous), I'm an assistant psychologist. It's very varied, but a sample day might involve helping people regain skills, assessing and managing behavioural risk, providing emotional support and conducting psychological assessments. I'm only an assistant (doctoral course still to come) but even at this level my job is busy, useful to others and fulfilling. Does that answer your question? Feel free to ask more if not :smile:

I think I read further back that you're not the biggest fan of psychology :tongue: can I ask what caused that?

i just think psychology is the biggest quack science in human history. i studied it at A level and then went to university for two years. ive also been with several psychologists for many years so i have experience of it from both sides. as far as i can tell no effective remedy for depression and other mental illnesses has been found since the 50s (prozac).
Reply 85
i just think psychology is the biggest quack science in human history. i studied it at A level and then went to university for two years. ive also been with several psychologists for many years so i have experience of it from both sides. as far as i can tell no effective remedy for depression and other mental illnesses has been found since the 50s (prozac).

Ok, I'm not saying your experience isn't valid, but I will say that degree Psych (and definitely A level) bears no relation to actual practice. It's a course of preparation in the scientist-practitioner model and a grounding in basic concepts - very valuable, but there's a reason you have to do a doctorate course before you're able to call yourself a clinical psychologist.

As for advances in working with mental illness, there have been huge leaps forward in both medication (although this is not so much our area) and talking therapies which have hugely improved symptoms and reduced relapse rates in depression and anxiety, for example. These don't work for everyone and I'm sorry they haven't worked for you, but many people have benefited and their lives are better for psychological input.

As someone who went through a period of doubting everything about what I do, and consequently found rational reasons to justify it, I understand why you have those questions. :smile:
Original post by PangXie
Ok, I'm not saying your experience isn't valid, but I will say that degree Psych (and definitely A level) bears no relation to actual practice. It's a course of preparation in the scientist-practitioner model and a grounding in basic concepts - very valuable, but there's a reason you have to do a doctorate course before you're able to call yourself a clinical psychologist.

As for advances in working with mental illness, there have been huge leaps forward in both medication (although this is not so much our area) and talking therapies which have hugely improved symptoms and reduced relapse rates in depression and anxiety, for example. These don't work for everyone and I'm sorry they haven't worked for you, but many people have benefited and their lives are better for psychological input.

As someone who went through a period of doubting everything about what I do, and consequently found rational reasons to justify it, I understand why you have those questions. :smile:

that's my problem with it also, the fact that you need a doctorate to be able to work in a psychology related field. i never could have done that. a psychology degree in itself is worthless unless accompanied by a phd.
studies still show that half of people who suffer from depression don't recover.

Agree about the remedy for depression.

Its more about the person and then getting through it in my opinion some people can cope and some cannot. Psychologists haven't done anything to change that except anti depressants

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
that's my problem with it also, the fact that you need a doctorate to be able to work in a psychology related field. i never could have done that. a psychology degree in itself is worthless unless accompanied by a phd.
studies still show that half of people who suffer from depression don't recover.

Well, I'd disagree that the degree is pointless and there are plenty of options as with many degrees, but I think it speaks to the skill level required for a psychologist that you can't do it without 7 years' training and a good chunk of relevant experience. It's a highly skilled profession.

I'm also a glass half full person. If half the people with depression recover, that's a good start. And there are many psychologists researching ways to improve that statistic. Just because it can't cure everyone doesn't mean it has no value. :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by reallydontknow
Agree about the remedy for depression.

Its more about the person and then getting through it in my opinion some people can cope and some cannot. Psychologists haven't done anything to change that except anti depressants

Cognitive behavioural therapy is as effective as medication for depression and confers long lasting benefits which reduce relapse rates. The best outcomes are from combined therapy and medication. Psychology has made a massive difference to treatment of depression, it's a shame people aren't made more aware of it.
Isn't the real problem, we have a national and global overpopulation problem.

There are not enough degrees and not enough jobs for people in society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending