The Student Room Group

The hitchhiker's guide to A-Levels

Hello,

My name is Katie (katniss15) and this is my blog for The Grow your Grades competition. I'm in year 12 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, in the hope of going on to study Physics and Astronomy at University. To do this I need A*AA grades, so there is a lot of pressure on me to do well. So far I have really struggled, and I really need this to work.

please enjoy my hitchhikers guide to A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I've got a similar situation to you. well exactly the same i guess. I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry too! :tongue: i want to get into cambridge so i have to get at least A*A*A at A2. How have you been struggling so far?
Reply 2
Hi, I'm really bad at Chemistry. I haven't got above a D yet and I have no confidence in it at all. So that's the big challenge for me. Maths and physics are going ok but somethings (statistics) take a lot of time for me to understand. You?
Original post by Katniss15
Hello,

My name is Katie (katniss15) and this is my blog for The Grow your Grades competition. I'm in year 12 and studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry, in the hope of going on to study Physics and Astronomy at University. To do this I need A*AA grades, so there is a lot of pressure on me to do well. So far I have really struggled, and I really need this to work.

please enjoy my hitchhikers guide to A-Levels

Hey Katie!

I do really similar subjects to you and have similar aims!
I am studying all of your subjects, and economics! I am aiming for A* (Maths in one year) aaa(physics, chemistry and economics AS) this year and As in all of my subjects (atleast) next year.

What exam boards are you doing, if they are the same we could help each other if you would like (:
Reply 4
Original post by BryonyG98
Hey Katie!

I do really similar subjects to you and have similar aims!
I am studying all of your subjects, and economics! I am aiming for A* (Maths in one year) aaa(physics, chemistry and economics AS) this year and As in all of my subjects (atleast) next year.

What exam boards are you doing, if they are the same we could help each other if you would like (:

I do OCR and MEI, you?
I do OCR and MEI, you?

Unfortunately the only exam I do OCR with is Economics, however I doubt the course content it dissimilar for the different boards...

Maths/Further Maths: Edexcel
Chemistry: Edexcel (I know this isnt too different as my teacher used to teach OCR and uses the same worksheets for us!)
Physics: AQA
Reply 6
If you want we could work together, I could look over the specifications for the exam boards and work out the similarities.
Reply 7
How are you finding further maths? Have you finished the A Level yet? OCR and AQA are pretty much the same apart from each board missing out a few little sub headings.
Reply 8
I'm in year 12 so I'm half way through AS. I think some units are really nice like core one, mechanics and decisions. I was really struggling with stats but I'm starting to get it (with a bit of help). How are you guys doing, any subjects that your struggling with?
Reply 9
yeah same, I'm in AS too, but i spoke to A2 further maths students and the advice they gave was to read ahead as much as you can because there are no January exams and teachers are struggling to finish courses. id say waves would probably be one of the hardest topics in all of the subjects (so far). but feel free to ask for help with C1-4 and M1 :smile:
I'm in year 13, doing maths, further maths and ict. I didn't do very well in s2 last year as we only just finished the course in time so barley had any time for revision. So do loads of revision for stuff you have already learnt about so you can just revise the new stuff your teachers are trying to teach you in the last few weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thanks for the advice, I think I spend some time over the summer to read ahead. I think we do an extra module this year so we can do one less next year.

I would also be happy to offer any help in further maths and physics. I haven't finished the whole of waves yet, but I might be able to help?
Reply 12
Thanks for the advice, I think I spend some time over the summer to read ahead. I think we do an extra module this year so we can do one less next year.

I would also be happy to offer any help in further maths and physics. I haven't finished the whole of waves yet, but I might be able to help?

we've finished waves and stuff and I've almost finished the rest of physics at home, just that waves was probably the most challenging to understand, for me. S1 is the worst, mechanics is so much more intuitive
Reply 13
I did struggle a bit with waves, but I get it now. S1 was hell for me a the start, but we go through past papers every week and I think I'm starting to get understand it. Which bits are you struggling with in S1?
Reply 14
I did struggle a bit with waves, but I get it now. S1 was hell for me a the start, but we go through past papers every week and I think I'm starting to get understand it. Which bits are you struggling with in S1?

its the a union b and a intersection b stuff on venn diagrams which i don't get. I've completed c4 but i still can't manage to do s1 -____-
Reply 15
I'm starting to understand Venn diagrams now, if you would like tomorrow I could try and help you. I'm not promising anything but I think things can be easier to understand when people on the same level as you explain it.
Reply 16
yeah sure that'd be great if you don't mind, if you need help with chemistry, let me know, i can help with that; i got 65/70 on the mock :smile:
Reply 17
Wow, that's really good. I'll probably take you up on that offer because I need a lot of help
Reply 18
tomorrow? what time? I've got frees pretty much all day if you need help, pm me or email me, whichever is fine :smile:
Reply 19
Tomorrows good, I get back from school for 4.30 so Ill PM you after that. Ok?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending