The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio

their manager is good but bolton won't defend like that for another full game, no way.
plus, they're actually gonna have to come out and attack this time so they can't park the bus all match.

They've made a hell of a decent stride since Lennon took over. A win yesterday would have seen them break into the top-half after a few months of languishing just outside the relegation zone.

We haven't always had the best luck at the Macron/the Reebok.
Original post by Mackay
They've made a hell of a decent stride since Lennon took over. A win yesterday would have seen them break into the top-half after a few months of languishing just outside the relegation zone.

We haven't always had the best luck at the Macron/the Reebok.

keep positive man!
you've been a little negative recently but it's irrefutable that we've been getting better and better.
it'll be fine, have faith :smile:
Original post by Lúcio
keep positive man!
you've been a little negative recently but it's irrefutable that we've been getting better and better.
it'll be fine, have faith :smile:

Oh, don't get me wrong, we'll have enough to go through.

Just having flashbacks of Speed's free-kick, Garcia's disallowed equaliser, Bellamy and Reo-Coker's fight in the tunnel...
'a little negative'
Your next 5 fixtures are very very tricky. If you get through that patch then i'll be worried as a United fan. If you dont then top 4 is gone. February will define your season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
Oh, don't get me wrong, we'll have enough to go through.

Just having flashbacks of Speed's free-kick, Garcia's disallowed equaliser, Bellamy and Reo-Coker's fight in the tunnel...

yeah i get you.
this is the FA cup; cupsets are all too common.
but we'll see.

all they did last game was defend - they tried pitiful counter attempts but our defence was fine.
they defended valiantly but they won't last a full match again.
if they want to score, they'll need to come out to play, thus giving us more space to get in behind.

Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Your next 5 fixtures are very very tricky. If you get through that patch then i'll be worried as a United fan. If you dont then top 4 is gone. February will define your season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

everton will be tough but (regardless of it being a derby) they really are poor and we're on great form.
spurs is the biggest one; we normally destroy them although we need to be wary of kane and eriksen.
soton will depend where they are - if they've started to crumble, we'll roll them over.
man city will again depend where they are in terms of the title race.

there's no reason why we can't pick up 9 points there with the form we've in, especially with sturridge back.
as long as we don't lose to spurs or soton, it's essential they don't overcome us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup we have a very tough fixture list in Feb, but now that Sturridge is back and the team is playing very well I expect the team to grind out more wins since our inability to finish chances have cost us many points this season.
Original post by Lúcio
yeah i get you.
but we'll see.

all they did last game was defend - they tried pitiful counter attempts but our defence was fine.
if they want to score, they'll need to come out to play, thus giving us more space to get in behind.

everton will be tough but (regardless of it being a derby) they really are poor and we're on great form.
spurs is the biggest one; we normally destroy them although we need to be wary of kane and eriksen.
soton will depend where they are - if they've started to crumble, we'll roll them over.
man city will again depend where they are in terms of the title race.

there's no reason why we can't pick up 9 points there with the form we've in, especially with sturridge back.
as long as we don't lose to spurs or soton, it's essential they don't overcome us.

I just realised its Everton away so you are pretty much guaranteed a win there. Spurs at home shouldnt be too tough but it depends on which Spurs come to Anfield, that and they are the luckiest team in the bloody league. Southampton and City are the two really hard games.
Pleased to see Southampton lose today even if Arsenal battered Aston Villa.

Maybe it's unfair to rule out West Ham and Swansea from finishing top4 but there's only 5 points between Man Utd, Southampton, Arsenal, Spurs and us in 7th.
Original post by Lúcio
yeah i get you.
but we'll see.

I don't expect Lennon to start Gudjohnsen and Heskey again this time around. They offered little goal threat last time despite their intelligence/experience, and young Zach Clough bagged a brace for them yesterday and will be confident.
I just realised its Everton away so you are pretty much guaranteed a win there. Spurs at home shouldnt be too tough but it depends on which Spurs come to Anfield, that and they are the luckiest team in the bloody league. Southampton and City are the two really hard games.

it's a derby, you never know.
although we are a MUCH stronger team right now.
spurs have been the luckiest team this season but in fairness, kane and eriksen are on fire - they could shock us.
soton will be tough, although if we win our next few games i can see us overcoming them.

things are gonna get really tight, especially with the london and merseyside derby games next week.

Original post by Mackay
I don't expect Lennon to start Gudjohnsen and Heskey again this time around. They offered little goal threat last time despite their intelligence/experience, and young Zach Clough bagged a brace for them yesterday and will be confident.

with sakho at the back you're gonna have a tough time if you keep it in the air.
all they need is pace to cause us problems; can is by no means fast and he's also inexperienced.
the issue they have is holding the ball up and keeping possession in general.

maybe if they set-up similar to last game and played on the counter with fast attackers?
the issue they have is that there's no way they're keeping a clean sheet this time around.

Original post by Zerforax
Pleased to see Southampton lose today even if Arsenal battered Aston Villa.

Maybe it's unfair to rule out West Ham and Swansea from finishing top4 but there's only 5 points between Man Utd, Southampton, Arsenal, Spurs and us in 7th.

soton losing is massive; they've been on such good form recently (best in the league), so for them to slip down is big.

west ham and swansea are getting nowhere near top 4; it isn't unfair to rule them out at all.
things will get interesting in the next few weeks.
if spurs beat arsenal and then we beat spurs, we're right in the mix.

people writing us off for top 4 were stupid, and yes i'm talking about some of our own fans too here.
Original post by Lúcio

soton losing is massive; they've been on such good form recently (best in the league), so for them to slip down is big.

west ham and swansea are getting nowhere near top 4; it isn't unfair to rule them out at all.
things will get interesting in the next few weeks.
if spurs beat arsenal and then we beat spurs, we're right in the mix.

people writing us off for top 4 were stupid, and yes i'm talking about some of our own fans too here.

Dreadful result for Southampton really.

In other news, how on Earth did we concede - let alone lose! - to Aston Villa?
Original post by Mackay

Same reason why United conceded 5 goals and lost to Leicester, we were **** at the time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lallana is unlikely to start against Everton I imagine. He offered very little yesterday and actually broke down a few of our attacks rather than injecting them with his usual creativity, trickery and pace.

With that in mind, maybe he'll get a start against Bolton.
Original post by Mackay

very poor indeed - is it just a blip or are they going down?
i guess we'll find that out when we play them.

villa had an excellent start to the season, that's precisely why they're still above the relegation even though they are as bad (if not worse) than QPR.

Original post by Mackay
Lallana is unlikely to start against Everton I imagine. He offered very little yesterday and actually broke down a few of our attacks rather than injecting them with his usual creativity, trickery and pace.

With that in mind, maybe he'll get a start against Bolton.

yeah, lallana was bloody awful for us from what i saw.

personally i'd rest a few players against bolton (sub them on if we're struggling), then go all out for everton and spurs.
the two premier league games are 3 days apart, however we have over a week rest before the besiktas game so if we can get past these few games, we'll have time to regain fitness.
Original post by Lúcio
very poor indeed - is it just a blip or are they going down?

yeah, lallana was bloody awful for us from what i saw.

personally i'd rest a few players against bolton (sub them on if we're struggling), then go all out for everton and spurs.
the two premier league games are 3 days apart, however we have over a week rest before the besiktas game so if we can get past these few games, we'll have time to regain fitness.

Any three from Villa, Hull, QPR, Burnley and Leicester will imo.

I think the back three and Mignolet are shoe-ins for Bolton, and Manquillo will be drafted in to wing-back the right hand side with Moreno opposite. Allen was so poor in the original tie, but he needs game time and it's difficult to see where else he will get that.
Original post by Mackay

I think the back three and Mignolet are shoe-ins for Bolton, and Manquillo will be drafted in to wing-back the right hand side with Moreno opposite. Allen was so poor in the original tie, but he needs game time and it's difficult to see where else he will get that.

Sakho might get rested since he's carrying an injury? We might see Enrique and Manquillo on the wings? Allen and Borini might come back in?
Sakho might get rested since he's carrying an injury? We might see Enrique and Manquillo on the wings? Allen and Borini might come back in?

Enrique will be lucky to ever get into the starting XI ever again.

I'm guessing we'll see: Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho/Lovren, Manquillo, A. Moreno, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Borini.

Probably Rossiter, Lambert and/or Balotelli off the bench.
Original post by Mackay

villa have been embarrassing and don't deserve this level right now.
hull have been disappointing although i feel like they have the quality to stay up.
QPR are just awful; they have a decent manager (always liked harry) but they simply don't have the players.
Burnley have one of two stars, but overall i doubt they can keep up with the rest of the league.
Leicester have potential to win matches; they have enough quality and chemistry to stay up but need to show it.

i feel like villa will pull their finger out though; i'm gonna go with Leicester (18th), Burnley (19th), QPR (20th).

do you think rodgers will be that careless?
bolton held us at anfield - they weren't pretty in doing so but they have belief that they can snatcvh it at home.
they will be properly going for this; resting too many players (especially vital ones) could be a fatal error.

if this was the first game fair enough, but this being a replay definitely changes things.
Original post by Mackay
Enrique will be lucky to ever get into the starting XI ever again.

I'm guessing we'll see: Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho/Lovren, Manquillo, A. Moreno, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana, Sterling, Borini.

Probably Rossiter, Lambert and/or Balotelli off the bench.

As long as we win I don't mind who's playing. Won't be easy. Rather Gerrard played in this game than against Everton tbh..

Quick Reply

Latest