The Student Room Group

English A level??

Hello!

At A level i'm planning on studying either English literature or English literature / language (combined) would you be able to tell me which is possibly harder and what they involve?

Any help would be incredible!!!

Thankyou,

Beth x
Reply 1
Original post by BethCowley
Hello!

At A level i'm planning on studying either English literature or English literature / language (combined) would you be able to tell me which is possibly harder and what they involve?

Thankyou,

Beth x

English literature is usually harder but is also more respected by many universities. There's no point in taking lit though if you loathe reading because there is a lot of stuff you'll need to read thoroughly.
For the lang/lit combined one,i dont know what your exam board is but mine (CIE) is only available at the AS level. in the lit portion you'll have to answer 2 questions about 2 different books, in the lang. portion you'll have to write 2 imaginary/descriptive/narrative essays. I guess if you want a sort of balance then the combined one is a good choice. i hope i helped!
Hi does anyone here do English language and literature because im sort of struggling with the coursework and would really appreciate if anyone (who is currently doing it or already has done it) to help me. My teacher is confusing me big time.
Reply 3
Original post by idkange
English literature is usually harder but is also more respected by many universities. There's no point in taking lit though if you loathe reading because there is a lot of stuff you'll need to read thoroughly.
For the lang/lit combined one,i dont know what your exam board is but mine (CIE) is only available at the AS level. in the lit portion you'll have to answer 2 questions about 2 different books, in the lang. portion you'll have to write 2 imaginary/descriptive/narrative essays. I guess if you want a sort of balance then the combined one is a good choice. i hope i helped!

Thank you very much!! its nice to hear from someone doing combined :biggrin: so would you say that literature is preferred by unis?
Reply 4
Thank you very much!! its nice to hear from someone doing combined :biggrin: so would you say that literature is preferred by unis?

Yes, literature is regarded as more prestigious. It's one of those subjects that you really have to enjoy in order to obtain a high grade
English language is writing more descriptively and imaginatively whereas English literature is more about exploring text and analysing. Both English literature and English language involves quite a lot of writing.
Just go for the one you are most confident with, if you cant decide just do both and try both out. :smile:
Reply 6
I'm currently studying English Literature and it does require a lot of reading and analysing texts. We were given 2 set texts which our course work is based on, an analytical piece and a creative writing piece. You would also need to do a lot of wider reading for the actual exam, as well as research (I'm doing Victorian Lit at the moment so we have to know a lot about the Victorian era!) It's interesting though,just requires a lot of getting used to writing in certain ways etc, but I do have friends who study English language too and they really enjoy it :smile:
Original post by desperate4help
Hi does anyone here do English language and literature because im sort of struggling with the coursework and would really appreciate if anyone (who is currently doing it or already has done it) to help me. My teacher is confusing me big time.

I am in my second year doing English lang and lit, I don't mind helping if I can :smile:
Original post by valkyrie-grey
I am in my second year doing English lang and lit, I don't mind helping if I can :smile:

I would soooooo grateful if you could
Lol
I'm in my second year too. Our coursework is on a streetcarnamed desire and the second one I based on my last duchess.
Hello!

Thankyou,

Beth x

Hi, I'm currently in my second year of studying English lang/lit and I enjoy it. There is quite a bit of writing and you do still need to read and analyse the texts and also the language in it etc but it's still fun and I enjoy it. If you need any questions let me know?
Btw my exam board is edexcel so at AS I was studying the Bloody Chamber as my set text as we were looking at Gothic literature but also entrapment for our coursework. Now at A2 I'm studying Stuff Happens and Translations as the set texts and for the coursework it's freer but we're looking at themes of conflict.
Also make sure you choose the one that's more exciting for you. I was also stuck between Literature and Lang/Lit but I was advised to do the combined English and I really enjoy it.
Good Luck!
Reply 10
Original post by tessimoghaddam
Hi, I'm currently in my second year of studying English lang/lit and I enjoy it. There is quite a bit of writing and you do still need to read and analyse the texts and also the language in it etc but it's still fun and I enjoy it. If you need any questions let me know?
Btw my exam board is edexcel so at AS I was studying the Bloody Chamber as my set text as we were looking at Gothic literature but also entrapment for our coursework. Now at A2 I'm studying Stuff Happens and Translations as the set texts and for the coursework it's freer but we're looking at themes of conflict.
Also make sure you choose the one that's more exciting for you. I was also stuck between Literature and Lang/Lit but I was advised to do the combined English and I really enjoy it.
Good Luck!

Thankyou so much!! Are there more exams in combined? x i heard there were 3?
Thankyou so much!! Are there more exams in combined? x i heard there were 3?

Hi, you're welcome and I think it may depend on what exam board you have but in my college and my exam board (edexcel) we had 1 exam but 1 paper divided into two sections - language and literature. Also because you have coursework in the subject you may just have one exam. Hope this helps!
Reply 12
Original post by tessimoghaddam
Hi, you're welcome and I think it may depend on what exam board you have but in my college and my exam board (edexcel) we had 1 exam but 1 paper divided into two sections - language and literature. Also because you have coursework in the subject you may just have one exam. Hope this helps!

Thankyou so much!! you've been a hugeeeeeee help!! :biggrin:
No problem :smile: glad I could help.
Reply 14
Hi

I have to disagree that universities prefer English Lit to Lang/Lit combined. The ultimate view of the university is that a student has the capability to interpret, analyse in detail and think independently. Your exam result will show this.

Although Language may not have as much reading, the content is quite technical as you are really getting an introduction into Linguistics and language development. You will look at speech, non-fiction texts and be analysing language and speech techniques as well as exploring research into language development. You would have covered some of these at GCSE.

Literature, as expected, will have a lot more reading of poetry, prose and drama. Depending on the exam board you may have specific themes as well e.g. struggle for identity or Literature from the Victorian period. You will be building on the literature techniques you acquired at GCSE.

The combination of the two can give a balanced insight into both areas. You will have fiction and non-fiction texts as well as poetry and drama. All I can say is that I don't think the university will be worried about whether it's combined or not. I've known people who have successfully made Oxbridge applications (even to study English) using either. Your choice of which to do is more about your GCSE grade, personal preference and commitment. Either one will not be easy.

Hope this helps.
L

Quick Reply

Latest