The Student Room Group

Sharp rise in halal abattoirs slaughtering animals without stunning them first.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ICF
agreed. halal tho has become the accepted term for permissable meat - referring to its slaughter ( zabihah) my point was there is no quranic restriction on useing antibiotics etc, only how you slit its throat etc. the other debates are i suppose some muslims trying to push an animal welfare angle - but then its impossible to argue the way say tribal arabs kill goats in the desert is the most humane way possible

Its being confused with the term halal meat, and media are pushing it without bothering to research.

Actually no, there are restrictions which animals are allowed to be slaughtered e.g. if their sick they can't. However, there are also guidelines to how animals should be raised/treated....this is the issue which is slowly becoming a bigger topic in the Muslim community, with some only considering organic halal as acceptable. It'll get a bigger movement going with more abattoirs trying to hustle in on the halal meat market.
ASDASD
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by R Dragon
Hi,

I was vegetarian too for a while. So I deeply respect your ideals.

Yes, I understand your point, and I assure you I'm very well versed with what halal means. What I'm trying to accentuate is that the method of halal slaughter isn't barbaric. It's an incredibly humane process and I think if a chicken was given a choice between death by a halal butcher or a lioness, it'd be a pretty easy decision to make :P

If you think slitting an animals throat with a knife and letting the blood drain out while in its death throws is "incredibly humane", you must be desensitized. Also, I don't see how your "lesser of two evils" example serves any justification.
(edited 9 years ago)
ADFADS
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 164
Original post by R Dragon
Hi,

Indeed it's incredibly humane, especially when contrasted to how the animal might die in the wild (slow suffocation by a cobra, ripped apart by a canidae or by the excruciating poison at the hand of a scorpion etc.- take your pick.) It's tough, life in the wild isn't easy.

As a dentistry student, I spend a lot of my time dissecting cadavers (humans), you'd be surprised at how fragile the neck is. A properly performed halal slaughter would be swift and provide instantaneous death.

"Incredibly humane"? Cutting a throat. I don't think so. I wouldn't like it one bit.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2937206/Halal-abattoir-staff-hacked-taunted-sheep-One-worker-sacked-three-suspended-caught-camera-carrying-horrifying-routine-abuse.html

'A worker at a halal abattoir has been sacked and three others suspended after being filmed breaking strict rules on slaughtering sheep.

The men could face prosecution for the ‘horrifying yet routine abuse’ captured by animal rights campaigners using hidden cameras.

Slaughtermen at the Bowood Lamb abattoir in Thirsk, North Yorkshire, are seen ‘hacking and sawing’ at animals’ throats in apparent contravention of Islamic practice.'

So much for Halal
Reply 166
I don't particularly like Halal slaughter either but it would be hypocritical of me to complain for two reasons.

1). I'm not a vegetarian.
2). I eat halal meat when I got out to restaurants or takeaways.

Now don't get me wrong, I ADORE animals but they taste good too...
Ive said it before and I'll continue to say it.

Most religion is just hypocritical of itself.

E.g. dont kill anyone, kill someone if they object this or that.

Treat animals a certain way, take the p*** when you kill them

Jesus and God can heal everything, Christians live equally as normal lives as everyone else.

Blah blah blah. such a waste of time and interest
OK here's something

I would be willing to accept halal and Kosher are OK if the research was finally able to prove it was just as good as pre stunning and people like the RSPCA and veterinary and farming groups etc.. lifted their objections.

Would muslims and Jews be able to say the same should Halal and Kosher be proved to be worse than pre stunning and accept that is should be removed from it's current exemption for the ethical treatment of animals and agree all animals should be pre stunned?
At the end of the day you'll all pop down to your nearest muslim asian take away and probably order something with meat in it. Pointless complaining my dayss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by radicalboujie
At the end of the day you'll all pop down to your nearest muslim asian take away and probably order something with meat in it. Pointless complaining my dayss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Except some of of don't as we don't buy halal meat regardless of how it comes and actively campaign against it so are unwilling to roll over for a bit of curry:rolleyes:

Just because you may have no principles doesn't mean we all don't.
Original post by PopaPork
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2937206/Halal-abattoir-staff-hacked-taunted-sheep-One-worker-sacked-three-suspended-caught-camera-carrying-horrifying-routine-abuse.html

'A worker at a halal abattoir has been sacked and three others suspended after being filmed breaking strict rules on slaughtering sheep.

The men could face prosecution for the ‘horrifying yet routine abuse’ captured by animal rights campaigners using hidden cameras.

Slaughtermen at the Bowood Lamb abattoir in Thirsk, North Yorkshire, are seen ‘hacking and sawing’ at animals’ throats in apparent contravention of Islamic practice.'

So much for Halal

IM GLAD THESE MEN ARE SACKED THAT IS PURE EVIL!!

BUT lets make sure we are aware that HALAL and whatever these psychos are doing ARE COMPLETELY OPPOSITE! In Islam, Halal meat has set criteria as we know to minimise all pain by:
-using a sharp blade so you dont need to 'hack thro'
-not showing the animal their friends dying
-not showing the animal the blade
-cut directly the main vein to quicken the death procedure and purify the animal by removing blood (stunning animal leaves blood in animal which causes many health problems)
-treating the animal well, with food, shelter, warmth etc during its life

I AGREE THAT MUCH OF THE MEAT CLAIMING TO BE HALAL IS NOT ACTUALLY SO I ADVISE CO-OPERATIONS TO BE MORE STRICT IN THEIR ASSESSMENT OF SLAUGHTERHOUSES.

NEVERTHELESS DON'T LISTEN TO THE DAILY FAIL AS THEY TWIST AND LIE EVERY DAY!
OK here's something

I would be willing to accept halal and Kosher are OK if the research was finally able to prove it was just as good as pre stunning and people like the RSPCA and veterinary and farming groups etc.. lifted their objections.

Would muslims and Jews be able to say the same should Halal and Kosher be proved to be worse than pre stunning and accept that is should be removed from it's current exemption for the ethical treatment of animals and agree all animals should be pre stunned?

I'm afraid not, this is our religion, we believe God's law come before any man-made regulation. We have submitted to the beautiful timeless religion of Islam and would never compromise it for scientific claims that are constantly changing....at the end of the day I'm sure you'll find stunning is worse than proper slaughtering techniques any day so you shouldn't have a problem.

Peace.
Original post by safar.sagheer
IM GLAD THESE MEN ARE SACKED THAT IS PURE EVIL!!

BUT lets make sure we are aware that HALAL and whatever these psychos are doing ARE COMPLETELY OPPOSITE! In Islam, Halal meat has set criteria as we know to minimise all pain by:
-using a sharp blade so you dont need to 'hack thro'
-not showing the animal their friends dying
-not showing the animal the blade
-cut directly the main vein to quicken the death procedure and purify the animal by removing blood (stunning animal leaves blood in animal which causes many health problems)
-treating the animal well, with food, shelter, warmth etc during its life

I AGREE THAT MUCH OF THE MEAT CLAIMING TO BE HALAL IS NOT ACTUALLY SO I ADVISE CO-OPERATIONS TO BE MORE STRICT IN THEIR ASSESSMENT OF SLAUGHTERHOUSES.

NEVERTHELESS DON'T LISTEN TO THE DAILY FAIL AS THEY TWIST AND LIE EVERY DAY!

A bit shouty

But the fact is muslims and Jews are exempted from the laws on ethical treatment of animals this exemption need to be removed.

But google EID slaughter to see how halal is really done

Just don't do it on a full stomach

Oh and it's being reported in the telegraph, the Guardian and the BBC so daily fail argument wont wash
I'm afraid not,

Yet we are the closed minded ones

At least I can change my opinion on this given the FACTS

So much for Halal

Following the logic of many in this thread, this is absolutely fine because worse stuff happens in the meat industry. I'm guessing these people will be pretty quiet on this issue.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Following the logic of many in this thread, this is absolutely fine because worse stuff happens in the meat industry. I'm guessing these people will be pretty quiet on this issue.

Not so sure 'halal' meat that isn't halal!!

I expect a explosion of outrage:biggrin:

That or it won't even register and it'll be the usual 'no true Scotsman' fallacy
Yet we are the closed minded ones

At least I can change my opinion on this given the FACTS

I am open to all discussion, but to change my mind on this matter you will have to change my religion as I follow God's laws not man-made laws, ygm.
A bit shouty

But the fact is muslims and Jews are exempted from the laws on ethical treatment of animals this exemption need to be removed.

But google EID slaughter to see how halal is really done

Just don't do it on a full stomach

Oh and it's being reported in the telegraph, the Guardian and the BBC so daily fail argument wont wash

Sorry I was just passionate to spread the truth...I have the feeling you are dodging my arguments...and NO dont google eid slaughter as it wont be a pleasant watch trust me...the same way no one would want to watch animals excreting but its a part of the circle of life :smile:
I am open to all discussion, but to change my mind on this matter you will have to change my religion as I follow God's laws not man-made laws, ygm.

Really

I ask again

If research was able to prove that the un stunned halal and kosher method of slaughter caused an animal unnecessary suffering would you support the banning of it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending