The Student Room Group

Which university is best - Nottingham, Bristol or Bath.

Hi everyone, I am having difficulties deciding on which universities for my 1st/2nd choice, I am still waiting for LSE to reply, if I am fortunate to get an offer ofc I will make that my first, however in case I do not, i am struggling to decide on my choices, so far I am thinking the best option is 1st-nottingham and 2nd-bristol however i am not 100%, they are all top 10 or maybe 15 uk universities but bath is not a russell group would this matter? what are everyones thoughts on which university would be best for a career in investment banking

Scroll to see replies

Notts > Bristol > Bath

Russel Group brand doesn't mean **** all, there are targets/semi-targets which should be the main focus. Regardless, between the 3, the uni name wouldn't make a noticeable difference on applications to Investment Banks, your extra-curriculars and work experience will.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Notts > Bristol > Bath

Russel Group brand doesn't mean **** all, there are targets/semi-targets which should be the main focus. Regardless, between the 3, the uni name wouldn't make a noticeable difference on applications to Investment Banks, your extra-curriculars and work experience will.

Thank you! I think I will go for notts, the campus looks great too. Ohh I see, that is good to hear, a couple of the BB banks offer summer insight programs for sixth form/college year students, I've applied to them so hopefully if I am successful that will help me stand out when applying to internships at uni!
Yeah that is a good point, I think bath is the only one that does, nottingham doesn't and I don't think Bristol does but I'm not sure.
Reply 4
Hardly any difference between these three to be honest. Pick the one which is most symphatic to you.
Original post by toppapi
I did eco at nottingham and I struggled with internships/grad jobs. I wish I had gone to bath and done the placement year. My brother did and he found it easier to get into work after graduation.

What course are you going to be studying? I imagine economics given the uni's you've mentioned?

Oh really! Did you manage to get any internships, and secure a grad role in the end? and where did your bro manage to work at?

Yep! But with Bristol: Economics and finance
Original post by toppapi
I did eco at nottingham and I struggled with internships/grad jobs. I wish I had gone to bath and done the placement year. My brother did and he found it easier to get into work after graduation.

What course are you going to be studying? I imagine economics given the uni's you've mentioned?

SW > Summer inernship > Grad role... pretty much the path most grads follow these days. No real need for a year in industry, although it's helpful.
Reply 7
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Notts > Bristol > Bath

No, Bristol is the best uni of the 3.

Between Notts & bath, would just for whichever one you like more.
Oh really, I thought notts had the best rep/ranking especially being the top targeted uni for employers? http://nott.ac.uk/1tz
Original post by toppapi

One of my friends did Economics at Notts, he is now Vice President of a top UK investment bank. He got a first though.
Original post by harry218
Oh really, I thought notts had the best rep/ranking especially being the top targeted uni for employers? http://nott.ac.uk/1tz

Notts students tend to be rowdy, outgoing and high energy. Is that you?
Reply 11
Bristol is higher ranked than Notts.
Reply 12
Original post by MAINE.

Not on the Linkedin rankings: https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking?trk=edu-rankings-ctg-card
Original post by MAINE.

For Economics specifically, Nottingham graduates are more sought for by Investment Banks than that of Bristol. If you want more chance still, go to LSE, then Warwick. Nottingham is your next best bet.
Reply 14
Bristol will give you the best internal network

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Bristol probably edges it slightly on network and brand, but it's really pretty equal here.
Original post by djacks
Bristol probably edges it slightly on network and brand, but it's really pretty equal here.

Not for Economics, it is LSE > Warwick > Nottingham > Bristol > Bath

Either way, as long as you get a 1st and an intern from a top firm, you will get into a career in the City from any of the above.
Reply 17
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Not for Economics, it is LSE > Warwick > Nottingham > Bristol > Bath

Either way, as long as you get a 1st and an intern from a top firm, you will get into a career in the City from any of the above.

Dont know how good Notts Econ dept is, but Bris is def the stronger overall uni.
Original post by MAINE.
Dont know how good Notts Econ dept is, but Bris is def the stronger overall uni.

Not by much, you just have been fooled by the UK rankings. Economics is one of Nottingham's traditional strengths.
Original post by harry218
Hi everyone, I am having difficulties deciding on which universities for my 1st/2nd choice, I am still waiting for LSE to reply, if I am fortunate to get an offer ofc I will make that my first, however in case I do not, i am struggling to decide on my choices, so far I am thinking the best option is 1st-nottingham and 2nd-bristol however i am not 100%, they are all top 10 or maybe 15 uk universities but bath is not a russell group would this matter? what are everyones thoughts on which university would be best for a career in investment banking

For Economics, Nottingham is better than Bristol and Bath and according to the complete university guide, they rank 6th, 7th and 8th respectively. In terms of general ranking, Bath is better than the other two. A placement year would be extremely beneficial seeing that investment banking is really competitive. Go where you feel you would be happy considering you're going to be there for 3 years/4 if you take a placement and it happens to be in the area the university is located. Do they differ much in terms of course structure/modules?

Latest

Trending

Trending