The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PandaWho
Im tempted to learn automatic. I get a carers personal budget that i can use for driving lessons so tempted to spend it on that if i get it again this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a really good idea :smile: Even if you don't decide to buy a car at the end of it you keep your license for when you want one, it's a really handy thing to have. And yeah, even if you suck at learning new things, driving an automatic is pretty easy so it probably wouldn't even take you all that long to learn.

I guess I don't know if it'd be weird or not :s-smilie:

---

feeling so listless tonight, nothing is holding my attention or interesting me. im lying zombified watching TV I don't even care about because it means not putting any effort in :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
I say go for it! (although I do not understand the British obsession with manual cars). You're probably right that you should be able to pass quicker in an automatic as it's, imo, easy as hell. I had two 40 minute lessons with an instructor then borrowed a friend's car for a combined maybe 3 hours just to get that bit more comfortable. Passed first time! :biggrin:

Thanks! I agree. So many people say it's the easy way out (though actually my friends who say that can't drive either so I guess they won't be wanting lifts when I pass haha). Well done on passing so quickly. I doubt I'll need many lessons. Just sort out the manoeuvres (turn in the road is easy) and get used to the size of the car and I'll be fine. I know what to do in situations etc, literally the only thing wrong is me panicking about gears.. but I'll be getting rid of them! Also need to learn when to use handbrake but can't imagine that's too difficult.
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
:frown: :hugs:
Is there anything I can do? :loveduck:

not really but thanks. completely given up on myself and life. not doing anything anymore, want to rot away
Didn't make it to a fancy dinner thing that the college was throwing tonight since we're half way through our degrees (well a quarter but that's not really the point). I was planning to go until around midday when I just couldn't deal with the whole thing and decided not to go. I get to hand in my essay a few hours later and I feel guilty for not going, not sure why since it impacts nobody but myself but today wasn't really a rational kind of day. So I talk myself into going. Have a bit of a panic attack while I'm trying to get ready at the whole thing and don't go. So now I have twelve hours before I have to hand in my next essay and it all just feels like it's never going to end, I can't keep having days like today every time I have to hand in a piece of work, for a start it takes far too long to get anything done.
The plan (because aparently I'm still bothering with those) is to head to the shops in a little bit to get some fresh air and pick up a bit of food since I've run out. Then I'm going to come back and plan my essay by midnight. Hopefully if I do that on the computer I can type the thing up and get some sleep. Brain is being horrible and making a worrying amount of sense which isn't good, still essay isn't going to write itself.
Only so much I can take :frown:
Original post by Sabertooth
Sounds like a really good idea :smile: Even if you don't decide to buy a car at the end of it you keep your license for when you want one, it's a really handy thing to have. And yeah, even if you suck at learning new things, driving an automatic is pretty easy so it probably wouldn't even take you all that long to learn.

We always got told if we passed our driving tests my mum and step dad would buy us a car as they couldnt afford to put 3 of us through our tests! But as my step dads a mechanic he can do the car side!
But if that falls through rorys mum drives an automatic so could go on her insurance i guess. But its deffinately something that would be useful! I had 2 lessons in a manual and all though i got hang of the gear changing, i hate hill starts (like paranoia takes over) and i figure its quicker in an auto!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
I guess I don't know if it'd be weird or not :s-smilie:

---

feeling so listless tonight, nothing is holding my attention or interesting me. im lying zombified watching TV I don't even care about because it means not putting any effort in :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If she doesnt want you to post i guess shed delete you :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone remember me?
Original post by keromedic
Anyone remember me?

Of course, silly :hi:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Of course, silly :hi:

U ok?
U ok?

I'm doing alright, thanks, how are you?
I'm doing alright, thanks, how are you?

Same. What's been going on?
Same. What's been going on?

Been chugging along with therapy and doing really well with it. Also planning a uni fieldtrip to Stockholm :colone:
wtf.. this just doesn't feel right at all. just enough of this and everything
Original post by PandaWho
But its deffinately something that would be useful! I had 2 lessons in a manual and all though i got hang of the gear changing, i hate hill starts (like paranoia takes over) and i figure its quicker in an auto!

Paranoia is a HUGE thing for me, too. With stalling at roundabouts specifically. I'm okay moving off from lights and starting off in general, but at roundabouts when you really have to be away quickly I just get paranoid and panicky. And obviously you can't (or at least you'd have a job) stall an automatic so that fear would be over.

I think that actually has a lot to do with what I suspect is a kind of underlying social anxiety - the fear of being judged (or in this case fear of being beeped). I just feel as though at the moment, driving is something I cannot cope with independently. And after a grand total of probably about 60 hours or more of lessons, I should definitely be able to do it. I can pin point my problems, and know that there's a way to get rid of them, meaning that I am only left with the aspects of driving that I can cope with. I'm just trying to convince myself.

Although I would then need to buy a car. I have £10k in my ISA but that's supposedly for a house deposit, and a good car plus insurance/breakdown cover etc would no doubt get rid of that. Plus the money to pay for my theory test, few lessons and practical test. It would take me a while to build that much up again so it's a hard decision. But the independence that I could gain from it just seems far too huge to ignore, and considering living in this village with few transport links is becoming such a problem for my isolation, it seems like it might be a good choice.
Original post by Anonymous
Paranoia is a HUGE thing for me, too. With stalling at roundabouts specifically. I'm okay moving off from lights and starting off in general, but at roundabouts when you really have to be away quickly I just get paranoid and panicky. And obviously you can't (or at least you'd have a job) stall an automatic so that fear would be over.

I think that actually has a lot to do with what I suspect is a kind of underlying social anxiety - the fear of being judged (or in this case fear of being beeped). I just feel as though at the moment, driving is something I cannot cope with independently. And after a grand total of probably about 60 hours or more of lessons, I should definitely be able to do it. I can pin point my problems, and know that there's a way to get rid of them, meaning that I am only left with the aspects of driving that I can cope with. I'm just trying to convince myself.

Although I would then need to buy a car. I have £10k in my ISA but that's supposedly for a house deposit, and a good car plus insurance/breakdown cover etc would no doubt get rid of that. Plus the money to pay for my theory test, few lessons and practical test. It would take me a while to build that much up again so it's a hard decision. But the independence that I could gain from it just seems far too huge to ignore, and considering living in this village with few transport links is becoming such a problem for my isolation, it seems like it might be a good choice.

Mine is so bad i choose not to in in the car when its going in or out of my parents drive. I would genuinely rather walk than be in the car on a hill start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been chugging along with therapy and doing really well with it. Also planning a uni fieldtrip to Stockholm :colone:

Doing well, that's great. I suspect I may have had a therapy session this week will have to enquire.

What will you be doign in Stockholm?
Can't sleep, great.
Original post by Anonymous

I did this a lot when I was having driving lessons. It reached the point where the only reason I wasn't taking my test was that I couldn't handle roundabouts. Or hills if my anxiety was acting up. It helped me to balance the clutch at roundabouts even if I had time to use the brake? That way it's not so much to do since you have already found the bite point. I basically stopped stalling it when my driving instructor made me do that.

Need to hope I remember how to do it when I start lessons again. At least the fear that I'm driving a death trap should have worn down a bit.

Latest