The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sherbet_lemons7

But yeah. :tongue: Doing pancake day with ~20 under 7's in about an hours time. :redface:

Sweet Jesus! :headfire: You're braver than I am :eek:

:tongue:

Original post by RebekaT
I'm writing a documentary on mental illness for my film studies coursework and I was wondering if people would mind sharing why they sometimes don't/find it hard to admit that they have a mental illness? I completely understand if you don't want to :smile:

Part of my condition (schizoaffective disorder, depressive type) is occasional delusional behaviour/thinking, a prime example being refusing to believe that I'm ill and thinking it's fine to stop medication :facepalm:

Another huge reason that I don't admit to being mentally ill in family circles is because I'm Asian, and there's a huge stigma about mental health in Asian communities. Notions of mental health either don't exist, aren't understood properly, or at the very least are known about but never talked about :erm: It would harm my marital prospects (and also both my sisters' marital prospects) if the wider Sinhalese community knew that I was mentally ill :bhangra:

Original post by Spock's Socks
Thanks. He ended up getting put to sleep :frown: I know its for the best since he's no longer suffering but damn it still hurts so much :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm very sorry for your loss :frown: Huge hugs to you :jumphug:
Original post by Spock's Socks
Thanks. He ended up getting put to sleep :frown: I know its for the best since he's no longer suffering but damn it still hurts so much :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console:
Original post by sherbet_lemons7
Why thank you. :h: I feel I'll need it. :tongue: :hugs:

:hmmm: You and your stereotypes... :hand:

Spoiler

Youre very welcome! I know that stress all too much :P but all be it painting or just general class work. but then again most of them were 4-5 :P
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
: It would harm my marital prospects (and also both my sisters' marital prospects) if the wider Sinhalese community knew that I was mentally ill :bhangra:

Seriously? That is absurd. :/
Original post by Sabertooth
Seriously? That is absurd. :/

:sadnod:

My life is a bit like Pride and Prejudice in that one sibling's future/decisions has the potential to affect all the other siblings too :eek:
today was a productive day for once. :biggrin:
:sadnod:

My life is a bit like Pride and Prejudice in that one sibling's future/decisions has the potential to affect all the other siblings too :eek:

That really sucks. :console:
What a day.

Went to bed feeling deeply depressed and refusing my antipsychotic/mood stabiliser, woke up manic, had a visit from the acute MH team and compromised on half my meds, meds brought me down, and now I just feel exhausted.

And my diagnosis has changed from depression with psychosis to schizoaffective disorder (with bipolar / mixed type)

Feel like i've been hit by a truck but kinda feel like I could do anything, if that even makes sense. My brain is so bombarded with artificial stuff it doesn't know whether it's coming or going.
That really sucks. :console:

Tiz OK, I don't mind too much. In any case, I'm not sure any of us will end up having arranged marriages, so maybe it won't matter in the end anyway! :biggrin:

Original post by Cinnie
What a day.

Went to bed feeling deeply depressed and refusing my antipsychotic/mood stabiliser, woke up manic, had a visit from the acute MH team and compromised on half my meds, meds brought me down, and now I just feel exhausted.

And my diagnosis has changed from depression with psychosis to schizoaffective disorder (with bipolar / mixed type)

Feel like i've been hit by a truck but kinda feel like I could do anything, if that even makes sense. My brain is so bombarded with artificial stuff it doesn't know whether it's coming or going.

All the cool kids have schizoaffective disorder :ninja:

Seriously though, huge hugs to you and do try and take your meds if at all possible (I know what a hypocrite I am, but it's important!
The voices were a jumbled mess this morning, and now he is clearly talking to me as if we were just friends. I have been lying to my mum about the fact that they are still here because I want her to think I am getting better, I am in the sense that I know that they are not real people / only real to me and they are not usually instructing me to do dangerous things to myself but they are still there - especially him. abuse TW

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Tiz OK, I don't mind too much. In any case, I'm not sure any of us will end up having arranged marriages, so maybe it won't matter in the end anyway! :biggrin:

I didn't know Sri Lankans had arranged marriages. :beard: Learn something new everyday. But yeah I can see why that might be problematic.
My sleeps ****ed
My eatings ****ed
My brains ****ed
My lifes ****ed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cinnie
The voices were a jumbled mess this morning, and now he is clearly talking to me as if we were just friends. I have been lying to my mum about the fact that they are still here because I want her to think I am getting better, I am in the sense that I know that they are not real people / only real to me and they are not usually instructing me to do dangerous things to myself but they are still there - especially him. abuse TW

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by ScaryScience

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by superwolf

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

TLG Update: This is very minor compared to what's happening with other people in the thread atm :erm: But here goes...

Am going to Oxford tomorrow and basically need people to send good vibes so that E doesn't appear anywhere where I am planning to be. It shouldn't happen but the voices are trying to convince me that it will and I'm scared :frown:

Original post by Cinnie

Spoiler

:jumphug: :frown: :jumphug:

I didn't know Sri Lankans had arranged marriages. :beard: Learn something new everyday. But yeah I can see why that might be problematic.

Yeah, they're not really like most other South Asian arranged marriages. Basically the parents of the prospective partners facilitate some kinda introduction and then if the two young people like each other, they meet again, then again, keep meeting for a while, then get engaged, then get married after a year or two. It's quite civilised - basically like your friends setting you up on a blind date, but your parents doing it instead! There are pros and cons to it, as one might imagine...

Spoiler

Hugs for you too

:jumphug: :frown: :jumphug:
TLG Update: This is very minor compared to what's happening with other people in the thread atm :erm: But here goes...

Am going to Oxford tomorrow and basically need people to send good vibes so that E doesn't appear anywhere where I am planning to be. It shouldn't happen but the voices are trying to convince me that it will and I'm scared :frown:

Sending all the good vibes! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest