The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham firmers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mattie_hope
Awh awesome we could be room mates!! Ooh that sounds exciting :smile: I'm not sure as I've already seen the Vale and Shakleton and know I definitely want to be on the Vale with self catered and ensuit so Mason seems like the only option?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same!! I'm going on 25 April to go to check the order I have put my other accommodation choices in! :smile: xx
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Elise1997
Yeah same!! I'm going on 25 April to go to check the order I have put my other accommodation choices in! :smile: xx

That's a good idea! I might go im not 100% sure yet :smile: xx you excited?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's a good idea! I might go im not 100% sure yet :smile: xx you excited?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah!!! Are you ? Xx
Yeah!!! Are you ? Xx

Yeah I'm so excited! Nervous I won't get on with my room mates though! You gonna join any societies? Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I'm so excited! Nervous I won't get on with my room mates though! You gonna join any societies? Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bit nervous too! Yep! Not sure which ones yet!! What about you? Xx
Wish there was more self catered ensuite options

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a bit nervous too! Yep! Not sure which ones yet!! What about you? Xx

Me neither! Not sure what's on offer yet :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me neither! Not sure what's on offer yet :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a list on the uni website I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmEchelon
There's a list on the uni website I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Anyone studying education? :smile: I have firmed Birmingham with the only condition being that I get a DBS check!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by Leanne1455
Firming for modern languages! Anybody else really worried about financing due to the price of accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really worried about the finances. Maple Bank is the only accommodation I can afford! Other than that really happy :smile:
I've firmed my place at Birmingham, luckily got an unconditional offer to do Archaeology and Ancient History :smile: Hello all!
Reply 92
I got an offer for Psychology at UoB and I am VERY tempted to firm it. However I also got an offer from UCL and...I don't really know what to do.
I mean, UCL is far better ranked that Bham but other than that I really love the course structure at bham and the fact that it covers forensic psych aswell (which is something I would love to study) and there is that possibility of transfering to MSc. So, does anyone have an opinion on this?
Reply 93
Original post by allievy
I got an offer for Psychology at UoB and I am VERY tempted to firm it. However I also got an offer from UCL and...I don't really know what to do.
I mean, UCL is far better ranked that Bham but other than that I really love the course structure at bham and the fact that it covers forensic psych aswell (which is something I would love to study) and there is that possibility of transfering to MSc. So, does anyone have an opinion on this?

Hi allievy :smile:
Personally, I think that it's most important to pick the course that you like the best over which one is ranked more highly, especially considering that Birmingham is a great uni and very well respected. Your course is what you'll spend a lot of your time doing for the next three or four years, and most people don't know about rankings anyway. Besides, hear that birmingham has a really good psychology dept :smile:
In terms of the actual uni itself, which one do you prefer?
Reply 94
Original post by Zeldork
Hi allievy :smile:
Personally, I think that it's most important to pick the course that you like the best over which one is ranked more highly, especially considering that Birmingham is a great uni and very well respected. Your course is what you'll spend a lot of your time doing for the next three or four years, and most people don't know about rankings anyway. Besides, hear that birmingham has a really good psychology dept :smile:
In terms of the actual uni itself, which one do you prefer?

Hello and thanks for replying :smile:

Well, to be honest, I don't know that much about UCL, it might be an amazing experience going there, but I just don't feel that much of a...connection? to it. Maybe it's a silly way to look at things but other than it's ranking and the fact that it's in London (!!) UCL just doesn't appeal to me that much...

I did hear that the Psych dept at Birmingham is really good and as far as I could tell from their website it sure looks like it. I just feel a little bit uneasy having a uni such as UCL as my insurance :smile:)

I guess what worries me is that I could be making the wrong decision here and end up sincerely regretting my initial take on this situation...but then again, how could I possibly know for sure before I'm actually there?
Reply 95
Original post by allievy
Hello and thanks for replying :smile:

Well, to be honest, I don't know that much about UCL, it might be an amazing experience going there, but I just don't feel that much of a...connection? to it. Maybe it's a silly way to look at things but other than it's ranking and the fact that it's in London (!!) UCL just doesn't appeal to me that much...

I did hear that the Psych dept at Birmingham is really good and as far as I could tell from their website it sure looks like it. I just feel a little bit uneasy having a uni such as UCL as my insurance :smile:)

I guess what worries me is that I could be making the wrong decision here and end up sincerely regretting my initial take on this situation...but then again, how could I possibly know for sure before I'm actually there?

They're both good unis, obviously UCL is more renowned and internationally known so if you have any strong desire to work abroad I would go to UCL for that reason. Personally, I feel that out of all the top London unis, UCL isn't as good as say, Kings or Imperial. What I'm trying to say is that if you're going to be choosing based on prestige, Birmingham in my opinion doesn't have as much a gap from UCL within the UK. I know quite a few people who go to UCL, doing either language or law and I know that the reasons they chose UCL is because a) they desperately wanted to live in London b) they wanted to work abroad c) they couldn't get into Oxbridge and wanted the prestige.

I suppose you need to think about where you think you'd be happiest living and which one you wouldn't have any or not as much regrets about choosing. Birmingham and London are completely different cities, which one do you feel you'd be most comfortable living in? Not everyone is suited to the fast pace of living in London whereas some people prefer the hustle and bustle. Also, take into account finances because London is a lot more expensive. I think when it comes down to these sort of decisions you sort of have to go with your gut. If you've been to the applicant visit days, which department did you feel would be the best learning environment for you? Some departments have more conducive environments for learning in your course regardless of ranking and that's something you can tell from a visit and interacting with the tutors.

Either way, you've done well for yourself getting offers from those two unis and good luck with your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Thank you so much for the advice!

I don't plan on working abroad (actually UK is pretty "abroad" for me, I'm an EU student) and as far as my instincts go, my gut says Birmingham. Unfortunately I couldn't go to any open days which is what makes my decision so much harder. And finances really would be a problem for me since I'm from a pretty low income family compared to UK prices, especially in London.
Again, thank you for your help, I am now closer to making a decision :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by jasmine1234567
I thought the rooms were a really good size at Jarratt (I saw the standard sized room as well as the large ones). The kitchen was also really nice and a good size. Also the kitchens in the process of being refurbished, but I didn't see the refurbished ones and I still thought it was nice.

I see that in the website for the accommodation there are only the virtual tours for the standard and annex size (Jarratt), yet in the 2015/16 pdf file with all the prices and stuff it says standard and large. do you know the difference of the standard to the large or maybe do you have some photos?
thanks
Reply 98
I'm firming Birmingham for Psychology~~ >u<
Reply 99
Original post by Abbie .
Anyone studying education? :smile: I have firmed Birmingham with the only condition being that I get a DBS check!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am! :smile: Have you received your DBS form yet? Still waiting on mine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending