The Student Room Group

Middlesex Uni, Uni of Birmingham, or Kingston Uni?

I'm currently a college student in California and I'm looking to study abroad at one of the 3 universities. I have never been to the UK before so I have no clue which one to pick. I enjoy a place with lots of ethnic diversity (particularly Black, as I am Black myself), student life, and nightlife. I would be studying psychology here and would love if anyone has any advice!
Original post by anchanswrld
I'm currently a college student in California and I'm looking to study abroad at one of the 3 universities. I have never been to the UK before so I have no clue which one to pick. I enjoy a place with lots of ethnic diversity (particularly Black, as I am Black myself), student life, and nightlife. I would be studying psychology here and would love if anyone has any advice!

Do you have offers from all three? Are those offers conditional on you meeting certain grade requirements, or are they unconditional offers?

If we don't need to worry about entry requirements (either because the offers are unconditional, or because you're comfortable meeting the conditions), then I'd say Birmingham meets your stated requirements better than the other two.

Quick question. Is it University of Birmingham, or Birmingham City University? Those are different universities with very similar names. (I know you say "Uni of Birmingham" in the thread title, but it's easy to get the two confused.)
Reply 2
London and Birmingham are both very ethnically diverse cities and the universities are too. London has multiple unis in one city so there's more opportunity to meet people from other ones but Birmingham also has a great student life. It depends where you want to be really and what you want or mean by good student life, does staying in London matter to you because Birmingham is a bit further up? Also look at league tables, for psychology Uni of Birmingham is ranked higher than Kingston and Middlesex (unless you meant Birmingham City University)
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Do you have offers from all three? Are those offers conditional on you meeting certain grade requirements, or are they unconditional offers?

If we don't need to worry about entry requirements (either because the offers are unconditional, or because you're comfortable meeting the conditions), then I'd say Birmingham meets your stated requirements better than the other two.

Quick question. Is it University of Birmingham, or Birmingham City University? Those are different universities with very similar names. (I know you say "Uni of Birmingham" in the thread title, but it's easy to get the two confused.)

I currently don't have any offers yet because it wouldn't be until next school year, I just wanted to get ideas going haha. And it was regarding University of Birmingham! I have been doing more research and see a lot of people from the UK talk down on the city of Birmingham and have no clue why LOL; could you fill me in on why?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
London and Birmingham are both very ethnically diverse cities and the universities are too. London has multiple unis in one city so there's more opportunity to meet people from other ones but Birmingham also has a great student life. It depends where you want to be really and what you want or mean by good student life, does staying in London matter to you because Birmingham is a bit further up? Also look at league tables, for psychology Uni of Birmingham is ranked higher than Kingston and Middlesex (unless you meant Birmingham City University)

Thank you! And by a good student life I just mostly mean if the school tends to be more social or have more social activities occurring so it's easy to make friends! I have seen a lot of people from the UK talk down on the city of Birmingham on social media, is there any particular reason why?
Reply 5
Birmingham hands down. A great campus in a bustling city with a multi-racial population. Birmingham is also more highly ranked than the other two.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mike23mike
Birmingham hands down. A great campus in a bustling city with a multi-racial population. Birmingham is also more highly ranked than the other two.

Noted, thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest