The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Postgrads for 2015 entry?

Haven't found a thread on the Warwick forum for 2015 postgraduate study, and was just wondering if there were any fellow applicants/offer holders out there.

I've got an offer for English and comparative lit PhD, and recently found out that I have received funding, so it would be cool to make some contacts and find out more about accommodation and the like :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, I am starting my PGCE in Warwick in September, and wanted to see if there was anyone else doing a post grad. Are you moving to Warwick? I need to find someone to live with, do you know how I would go about finding someone? I need someone who will be under the same amount of pressure as me, so we are both on the same page when living together.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by sarahbutler890
Hi there, I am starting my PGCE in Warwick in September, and wanted to see if there was anyone else doing a post grad. Are you moving to Warwick? I need to find someone to live with, do you know how I would go about finding someone? I need someone who will be under the same amount of pressure as me, so we are both on the same page when living together.

I'm an international student so I'm considering spending the first year in on-campus accommodation rather than rushing into a house in the nearby area. I know what you mean about wanting housemates with a similar work ethic - although I guess that most postgrads will be looking for the same things.
I'm not sure whether moving into campus accommodation or share-house living will be best for the first year of study.

Where are you thinking of living?
Hi mate,

I've got a funded offer for Politics and International Studies PhD at Warwick. I've also got an offer for a funded PhD at another uni as well though, so I'm finding it difficult deciding where to choose.

Joe
Reply 4
Original post by JJBB123
Hi mate,

I've got a funded offer for Politics and International Studies PhD at Warwick. I've also got an offer for a funded PhD at another uni as well though, so I'm finding it difficult deciding where to choose.

Joe

Congrats! What uni is the other offer from? I guess a lot will depend on how highly you rate the Warwick politics department, and your correspondence with supervisors. If you have enthusiastic and highly-regarded supervisors I think that makes a world of difference when it comes to PhD.
The other offer is from SOAS. Yeah, I've been advised to base the decision on the supervisor. The problem is, though, that both would be great!
Hey JJBB123 may i ask what source of funding are you receiving for your SOAS phd? thanks
I have an offer for MA English Literature :smile:. I'm already doing my undergraduate degree at Warwick so I'm well versed with the university. I lived on campus in my first year and really enjoyed it! I'm living in Leamington at the moment and love it too. If I can go to Warwick next year, I will be looking at living within walking distance of the university (partly for another change of scene and for the convenience). However, I won't be looking at the on campus halls as they are a bit too pricey for my budget.
Reply 8
Original post by RadioGnome
I have an offer for MA English Literature :smile:. I'm already doing my undergraduate degree at Warwick so I'm well versed with the university. I lived on campus in my first year and really enjoyed it! I'm living in Leamington at the moment and love it too. If I can go to Warwick next year, I will be looking at living within walking distance of the university (partly for another change of scene and for the convenience). However, I won't be looking at the on campus halls as they are a bit too pricey for my budget.

Congrats! What modules are you looking to take for the MA? How pricey are the on-campus halls compared to accommodation nearby? As an international student I'm thinking of doing on-campus for the first year mainly for convenience and to meet more people. What's Leamington like to live in? I hear the commute by bus can be a little unreliable...
Original post by Theridamas
Congrats! What modules are you looking to take for the MA? How pricey are the on-campus halls compared to accommodation nearby? As an international student I'm thinking of doing on-campus for the first year mainly for convenience and to meet more people. What's Leamington like to live in? I hear the commute by bus can be a little unreliable...

Thank you! You too! I'm interested in literary and critical theory, so anything to do with that. I have a keen interest in psychoanalysis too. However, the only MA module available on it at the moment has pretty much the same structure and reading list as the undergrad module I took on psychoanalysis. I don't want to repeat myself, so I shall have to check it properly. I'm also considering looking at modules in the Philosophy department as there is a Philosophy/Literature crossover with some tutors.

If you can, I would recommend living on campus. It's convenient, you don't need to deal with any bus issues and the Warwick bubble has a nice community feel. The PG on-campus prices are higher than I'm used to partly because they are for 51 weeks, not 39 weeks. However, the PG accommodation is around 6 - 7 thousand pounds a year. You can get accommodation for 3 and a half - 4 thousand off-campus (it depends on where you go/how many people you share with/if you're paying for bills). Leamington tends to be a little bit more expensive (sometimes a few pounds more a week) than Coventry but this isn't always the case. South Leamington is cheaper than North Leamington and can work out fairly cheap if you are sharing a house with a lot of people.

Leamington is good because it always has a lot going on. It has a good amount of shops, cafes, social things and such. The campus, by contrast, can get a bit quiet over the weekend and is quite undergrad centric (i.e. everything is busier during the 30 weeks that undergrads have lessons and such) so it's nice to be somewhere that is always quite lively. However, as you will be with other postgraduates and have work to do over the year, the campus being quiet when the undergrads aren't there isn't necessarily always a bad thing! However, bus timetables are reduced and there are not as many social events going on when it's out of "term time" (a.k.a when undergrads aren't there).

Don't get me wrong, the buses have been hellish this year. However, they weren't as bad in my second year (I've lived in Leam for 2 years). Not wonderful by any means, but not as bad because this year we have had "ALLLL THE ROADWORKS!". It should be improved by the next academic year (I hope). But yes, even without the roadworks the buses in general can be unreliable (this is in part because of the location of the campus and the fact that there are only really one or 2 possible bus services to get to the campus - if the campus was in the middle of a city you'd probably have more travel options and there would be more routes). You need to make sure you leave your house in good time to allow for any diversions or delays. This isn't ideal for everyone. There are elements of having to get a bus that I think have helped me; it's helped me establish more of a routine/get out of bed as the lecture theatres aren't just a 5 minute walk away. However, there are certain academic and social opportunities on campus that I would take advantage of more if I lived on campus (or at least within walking distance). It may be worth looking at Coventry. A lot of postgraduates live in Canley (walking distance)/Earlsdon (short bus ride) etc.
Reply 10
Thanks heaps! That's massively useful. I think that as a postgrad living as close to campus as possible will be the best seeing as I'll most likely be spending a lot of time researching. But there's plenty of time to figure it all out :smile:
Hi, I've applied for the MSc in Behavioural and Economic Science about 10 days ago and I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

May I know if you all received a separate link in an email to upload supporting documents after submitting the application (especially for taught Masters applicants)? Based on this website (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/onceapplied/), it says I should get a link to upload my transcript. I've received emails confirming my application payment and the references, but none about supporting documents. :/ Should I email them or this is normal..? Thanks in advance!
I'm an offer holder for the MA in World Literature course :smile:. I am currently in my final undergraduate year at Warwick, and definitely all for living on campus or in nearby Canley!
I have got an offer from Warwick Business School for the MSc Marketing and Strategy course :smile: Is there anyone else here who is doing a MSc in the business school?

Thanks
Original post by hennamohnani
I have got an offer from Warwick Business School for the MSc Marketing and Strategy course :smile: Is there anyone else here who is doing a MSc in the business school?

Thanks

Hi! I have got a conditional offer for the same course! :smile:
Hi! Have have got a conditional offer for the same course! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by paperstars123
Hi, I've applied for the MSc in Behavioural and Economic Science about 10 days ago and I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

May I know if you all received a separate link in an email to upload supporting documents after submitting the application (especially for taught Masters applicants)? Based on this website (http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/onceapplied/), it says I should get a link to upload my transcript. I've received emails confirming my application payment and the references, but none about supporting documents. :/ Should I email them or this is normal..? Thanks in advance!

My application was for PhD in English, so it might be completely different, but most of my supporting documents were all done via the online application process. I'm sure you can email them and they'll help you sort it out though - Warwick gradschool service seems really quite good and efficient.
Sweet :smile: Congratulations! Hope to see you around at Warwick in a few months.

Original post by Mscstudies
Hi! I have got a conditional offer for the same course! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by partickler
I'm an offer holder for the MA in World Literature course :smile:. I am currently in my final undergraduate year at Warwick, and definitely all for living on campus or in nearby Canley!

Nice! What halls do you think will be best as postgrad?
Original post by Theridamas
Nice! What halls do you think will be best as postgrad?

I would go for Tocil or Claycroft. Claycroft is the best in terms of distance to the Humanities building and Tesco, but Tocil is right behind the Sports Centre and a short walk away from most things too.

Heronbank and Lakeside has nicer rooms, but it's further away from everything and incredibly far from Tesco... though of course you can always get delivery. There is however, the geese population.

Quick Reply

Latest