The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fredhovis
But it's Industrial Economics there, not straight Economics... Will that not change graduate job prospects etc?

Nope, you don't even need to do Econ to get into banking or even most grad schemes.

It's ranked 8th most targeted on the LinkedIn rankings for IB - just below Durham and Manchester but above Bath, Bristol and King's.
Anyone go to the Bristol open day today? If so, what did you think?
Original post by sr234
Anyone go to the Bristol open day today? If so, what did you think?

Love it, but probably will firm Ucl (or LSE if I get the offer)
Just got my Oxford feedback and for anyone that's interested this year they had 1129 applicants and a ratio of 13.1:1!
Original post by Aso816
Love it, but probably will firm Ucl (or LSE if I get the offer)

Really? I thought the lecture in the morning was too long, my dad fell asleep :rolleyes: Didn't like the city as much as I thought I would, but tbf didn't get to see much of it! Have you applied for straight econ? GL with LSE!:smile:
What else did they say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
Really? I thought the lecture in the morning was too long, my dad fell asleep :rolleyes: Didn't like the city as much as I thought I would, but tbf didn't get to see much of it! Have you applied for straight econ? GL with LSE!:smile:

I love the really positive and friendly environment apart from the fact that the morning lecture is dead boring,,,, nah It is my insurance choice I got an AAA offer for the study abroad option
Original post by Djangoo
What else did they say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It read as follows:

I am sorry that I had to write with disappointing news. I have now spoken to the Tutors who evaluated your application.

This year, Oxford had a very high number of applicants for Economics and Management (1129). The approximate ratio of applicants to places was 13.1 to 1. So the application process was extremely competitive. The selection criteria for the subject can be found at http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/selection-criteria.

All candidates are very carefully assessed, taking into account all the information available, including personal statement, references, predicted examination results (when applicable) and academic track record. Consideration is also given to the educational context of this information, and any other relevant factors.

The tutors were impressed by your UCAS form and your academic record to date, and by the support for your application expressed in your reference. Your mark of 65.6 in the TSA was fairly good, but the tutors felt that your essay was less strong than those of some other candidates. Your interview performance was good, and the tutors felt you were articulate and clear. They did feel that you were a worthy candidate for admission to Oxford, and so secured you a further interview at another college, but, given the extreme competition for places, we were unable to make you an offer.

I hope this information is useful to you. We wish you all success with your studies and future applications.

Thought they were pretty nice! Always knew essays weren't ma thang 😉
Reply 3328
Original post by tomixox
It read as follows:

I am sorry that I had to write with disappointing news. I have now spoken to the Tutors who evaluated your application.

This year, Oxford had a very high number of applicants for Economics and Management (1129). The approximate ratio of applicants to places was 13.1 to 1. So the application process was extremely competitive. The selection criteria for the subject can be found at http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/selection-criteria.

All candidates are very carefully assessed, taking into account all the information available, including personal statement, references, predicted examination results (when applicable) and academic track record. Consideration is also given to the educational context of this information, and any other relevant factors.

The tutors were impressed by your UCAS form and your academic record to date, and by the support for your application expressed in your reference. Your mark of 65.6 in the TSA was fairly good, but the tutors felt that your essay was less strong than those of some other candidates. Your interview performance was good, and the tutors felt you were articulate and clear. They did feel that you were a worthy candidate for admission to Oxford, and so secured you a further interview at another college, but, given the extreme competition for places, we were unable to make you an offer.

I hope this information is useful to you. We wish you all success with your studies and future applications.

Thought they were pretty nice! Always knew essays weren't ma thang ������

That is really positive feedback:smile: Looks like you just missed out!
Original post by sr234

I pretty much fell asleep during that talk today
Original post by pat.bateman
I pretty much fell asleep during that talk today

It was so boring, felt like I was sitting for 5 hours!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
It was so boring, felt like I was sitting for 5 hours!
Posted from TSR Mobile

The jokes couldn't get any drier
The jokes couldn't get any drier

I found the jokes quite funny but tbh I laugh at anything haha:tongue: Did you go to the talks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
I found the jokes quite funny but tbh I laugh at anything haha:tongue: Did you go to the talks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I kinda just laughed out of pity. Which talks?
I kinda just laughed out of pity. Which talks?

Lol.. The maths and econ/econ presentations in the lecture theatre

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr234
Lol.. The maths and econ/econ presentations in the lecture theatre

Posted from TSR Mobile

I listened to the lecturer and the current students, after that we went on a tour and then I left
I listened to the lecturer and the current students, after that we went on a tour and then I left

Lol same I left after the tour otherwise I would have got home at stupid o' clock

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr234
Lol same I left after the tour otherwise I would have got home at stupid o' clock

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have u decided on who you're going to firm/insure now?
I'm thinking of firming LSE and insuring Bath :smile:, any LSE firmers on this thread?
Have u decided on who you're going to firm/insure now?

Firmimg LSE and I think I'll insure Warwick should I get an offer, if not I can't see myself putting Bristol as my insurance anymore:/ wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending