The Student Room Group

Philosophy 2015 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

I will be studying Philosophy & Hispanic Studies at Sheffield University this coming September. I recieved my offer last year, and I am currently living abroad in the meantime.

Any other Sheffield candidates/firmers hit me up! Would be great to hear from you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 121
Original post by lolen
Why do you prefer UCL over LSE?

Because UCL has a diversity of traditional philosophy themes available for study ranging from Greek philosophy to aesthetics, while LSE almost exclusively specializes in philosophy of natural and social sciences. Do you like philosophy modules at LSE?
Original post by Beidniz
I will be studying Philosophy & Hispanic Studies at Sheffield University this coming September. I recieved my offer last year, and I am currently living abroad in the meantime.

Any other Sheffield candidates/firmers hit me up! Would be great to hear from you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Offer from Sheffield as well but unsure whether to firm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Original post by benq
Because UCL has a diversity of traditional philosophy themes available for study ranging from Greek philosophy to aesthetics, while LSE almost exclusively specializes in philosophy of natural and social sciences. Do you like philosophy modules at LSE?

Not really!:tongue: I love the variety of modules at UCL too. I recently got an offer and it is definitely going to be my firm choice. I applied to LSE because of its graduate prospects..
Reply 124
Original post by lolen
Not really!:tongue: I love the variety of modules at UCL too. I recently got an offer and it is definitely going to be my firm choice. I applied to LSE because of its graduate prospects..

How recently?
Reply 125
Original post by benq
How recently?

24 Feb
Recently received an offer for philosophy at York :smile: I can't wait to visit!!
Original post by ladywolf
Recently received an offer for philosophy at York :smile: I can't wait to visit!!

Well done! Where else have you applied? Any other offers? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FreshGarbage
Well done! Where else have you applied? Any other offers? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester met, Hertfordshire & kent! Thank you!!!
Reply 129
Recently received an offer to read BSc Philosophy Logic and Scientific Method at LSE. Anybody is planning to firm it over here?
Hey guys, just a quick question.
I was wondering if anyone has heard back from UCL for BA Philosophy yet? I'm beginning to feel quite concerned as it's two weeks into March and I still haven't received a reply. UCL is my first choice so I'm pretty eager to hear back. Anybody here in the same situation?
Original post by claudia.r
I was wondering if anyone has heard back from UCL for BA Philosophy yet? I'm beginning to feel quite concerned as it's two weeks into March and I still haven't received a reply. UCL is my first choice so I'm pretty eager to hear back. Anybody here in the same situation?

Exactly in the same boat as you.
Reply 132
Original post by claudia.r

Me
Hi guys, do any of you have offers for straight philosophy from either Nottingham or Newcastle? I've got offers from both for the same grades and I'm struggling to choose which to firm!
Original post by oliviawest
Hi guys, do any of you have offers for straight philosophy from either Nottingham or Newcastle? I've got offers from both for the same grades and I'm struggling to choose which to firm!

I have an unconditional from Nottingham and AAB from Newcastle, I've chosen Notts for this reason haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Leeds uni or Newcastle for philosophy???
Original post by ThePrimeMover
Leeds uni or Newcastle for philosophy???

I got offers from both as well :smile: personally I'd go with Newcastle over Leeds but I've heard Leeds has an awesome students union. I think they are quite similar standards and nightlife wise. Either would be amazing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got an offer from UCL! I've also firmed it!

I've also got an offer from NCH with a possibility of a full scholarship. This is a massive dilemma, as I don't think I want to risk my entire university education on an experimental institution :s-smilie:

What do you guys think?
Original post by Albion103
I've got an offer from UCL! I've also firmed it!

I've also got an offer from NCH with a possibility of a full scholarship. This is a massive dilemma, as I don't think I want to risk my entire university education on an experimental institution :s-smilie:

What do you guys think?

Personally I loved NCH, and if I hadn't got my Oxford offer would have been likely to go. But you're right that it's a risk, although you would get a city of London degree just like you would at UCL :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomi12
Personally I loved NCH, and if I hadn't got my Oxford offer would have been likely to go. But you're right that it's a risk, although you would get a city of London degree just like you would at UCL :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

At NCH you get a Birkbeck international degree, which is still good but not really equivalent to a UCL degree.

This isn't that important I realise :tongue:. I might end up going to the NCH after all, seems like a good opportunity esp. after a full remission of fees!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending