The Student Room Group

I'm a British Pakistani, AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Incubator
Pakistani. I'm happy with being Pakistani, but honestly we've got such a bad reputation. I don't want to say anything bad about a particular set of people but I believe that we have a bad image because of them...
I'll give you a clue, *cough* some people from Bradford :rolleyes:

Glad to hear that you are happy being a Pakistani. Omg lol. Do Mirpuris live in Bradford? You know what? We as Pakistanis do have a bad reputation. But seriously I couldn't care less no more. People who really get to know us do find out that we are one of the most generous, welcoming and funny people!
Reply 81
Original post by demx9
Why do you think there are so many Paki grooming gangs ?

I have no idea!

Maybe they see young white girls as "easy" and feel less guilty abusing them, a racist reason?

either way these gangs are disgusting (should be hanged!) and ruin the reputation of us law abiding British Pakistanis. But these gangs are normally up north so I have no idea what the community up there is like, so can't say the reasons why.
Reply 82
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Its so true. I must say Indian batsmen are good! Hate the fact that Virat Kholi exists! Haha not good for my Green shirts you know. But yepp! A team with Pakistani bowlers and Indian batsmen will do wonders! Omg, don't even talk about Wahab Riaz and oh Saeed Ajmal!

I quite like Sohail Khan too. We have some awesome bowlers! Just need to teach our batsmen how to play -_-
Glad to hear that you are happy being a Pakistani. Omg lol. Do Mirpuris live in Bradford? You know what? We as Pakistanis do have a bad reputation. But seriously I couldn't care less no more. People who really get to know us do find out that we are one of the most generous, welcoming and funny people!

Haha, yep, we are :smile:. And indeed they do :colone:
Original post by cake_lover
Urdu, but my parent speak in Punjabi with each other and most guests. I started speaking Punjabi a few months back to make sure my Punjabi is as good as my Urdu. Still needs improving though a bit :/

I love Punjabi, such an awesome language!

Lol you're in the same position as me. I speak in Urdu but my parents, uncles etc in Punjabi. I don't think my Punjabi is bad. But I remember visiting my cousins in Pakistan and realising that my Punjabi accent is just :|

So when I returned home, I started speaking Punjabi with my siblings. But that didn't work cos we use to end up talking in English, German or Urdu :/
Reply 85
Original post by h4mza
Would you call someone from back home "freshie"? Would you marry from there?

maybe if taking about them to my siblings, not to their face.

I don't think so. I refuse to have an arranged marriage (my dad respects that). but if I meet a girl in Pakistan and we hit it off why not? (Unlikely though)
Original post by h4mza
Would you call someone from back home "freshie"? Would you marry from there?

The term 'freshy' is very offensive and rude. Do you consider your parents as 'freshy'?
Would you call a well educated Pakistani from back home a freshy? C'mon man... the sooner we get rid of these derogatory terms for our own people, the better.
(edited 9 years ago)
I quite like Sohail Khan too. We have some awesome bowlers! Just need to teach our batsmen how to play -_-

I've heard of Sohail Khan. Well, I think we do have good batsmen. For example, Mohammed Hafeez, the Akmal brothers, Shehzaad. However, I agree with you cos I think they can all come under pressure so quickly. They do not play with confidence. I missed Mohammed Hafeez's batting this world cup. :'(
Reply 88
Lol you're in the same position as me. I speak in Urdu but my parents, uncles etc in Punjabi. I don't think my Punjabi is bad. But I remember visiting my cousins in Pakistan and realising that my Punjabi accent is just :|

So when I returned home, I started speaking Punjabi with my siblings. But that didn't work cos we use to end up talking in English, German or Urdu :/

German? Sounds cool

I've started watching Punjabi movies recently, trying to purify my accent haha :biggrin:
I do still switch back to Urdu, which is frustrating. I'd feel strange talking to my siblings in something other than English tbh :/

Lol tbh I don't even know what's the banter with Mirpuris. I've never really had connections with them.

Lol tbh I don't even know what's the banter about Mipuris. I've never had connections with them :/
Lol tbh I don't even know what's the banter with Mirpuris. I've never really had connections with them.

Lol, me neither. Thank God for that.
Reply 92
The term 'freshy' is very offensive and rude. Do you consider your parents as 'freshy'?
Would you call a well educated Pakistani from back home a freshy? C'mon man... the sooner we get rid of these derogatory terms for our own people, the better.

It is rude. I don't consider my parents freshies.

No tbh, and I agree. I think as I've got older I've become more welcoming to "freshies" and actually am becoming attached to my culture :smile: Also kids needs to stop referring to each other as "Paki's" it annoys me :mad:
Reply 93
I've heard of Sohail Khan. Well, I think we do have good batsmen. For example, Mohammed Hafeez, the Akmal brothers, Shehzaad. However, I agree with you cos I think they can all come under pressure so quickly. They do not play with confidence. I missed Mohammed Hafeez's batting this world cup. :'(

I reckon if they get some good exprience such as in the IPL is would do wonders!

Mohammed Hafeez is a cool guy, met him a couple years ago with he Pakistan team in Multan, he was on my flight :tongue:
German? Sounds cool

I've started watching Punjabi movies recently, trying to purify my accent haha :biggrin:
I do still switch back to Urdu, which is frustrating. I'd feel strange talking to my siblings in something other than English tbh :/

Yeah I can speak German as I was born there. Lol I used to watch Punjabi movies and learnt quite a good amount of Punjabi from it too. Lol that's the same issue with me and my siblings, hence we keep switching back to Urdu/English/German. The convo between me and my siblings is so mixed tbh. :biggrin:
Lol, me neither. Thank God for that.

Lol seems like you haven't heard good of Mirpuris :/
Reply 96

Yes I know, I was asking what OP thinks as most British Pakistanis enjoy too much freedom here and forget about their own country.
Lol seems like you haven't heard good of Mirpuris :/

I honestly haven't. Every single one I meet aspires to be a drug dealer or some sort of 'road man'. Most of them are backward, and usually don't live in reality.
Reply 98
Yeah I can speak German as I was born there. Lol I used to watch Punjabi movies and learnt quite a good amount of Punjabi from it too. Lol that's the same issue with me and my siblings, hence we keep switching back to Urdu/English/German. The convo between me and my siblings is so mixed tbh. :biggrin:

that's awesome, I wish my siblings switched languages more often too!

You should check out "Jatt and Juliet 2" and "Mr Mrs 420" they're pretty good movies haha.
Because we can't bat to save our lives :mad:

Inzi shoulve come out of retirement :/

Quick Reply

Latest