The Student Room Group

Do you feel bad about using AdBlock?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Very occasionally I will visit a website on which I would turn my adblock off, and that would be to support them because I think they do a great job and they would benefit from the extra revenue. But for most websites I go on (particularly youtube, 4od) I turn it on and do not feel the slightest bit of guilt.
Reply 21
Original post by DiddyDec
Because I don't feel the need to use it all the time. And I quite like some adverts, especially the ones of youtube.

First time I've heard someone say that.
Reply 22
I only use it when using torrent websites. When my family are in the room, I wouldn't want them seeing those explict ads in the sides
Original post by Exon
First time I've heard someone say that.

Some one them are really quite good, the new Just Cause one is particularly brilliant.
LOVE IT.
Original post by Pride
Very occasionally I will visit a website on which I would turn my adblock off, and that would be to support them because I think they do a great job and they would benefit from the extra revenue. But for most websites I go on (particularly youtube, 4od) I turn it on and do not feel the slightest bit of guilt.

How you get AdBlock to work on 4OD? Won't let me watch videos until I turn it off. :frown: Same for itv player.

I use AdBlock wherever possible. I use it on Spotify so I can get the streams ad-free and not have to pay. ^.^' Then use the money I save to buy CDs for artists I want to support.
Reply 26
Original post by TroyAndAbed
How you get AdBlock to work on 4OD? Won't let me watch videos until I turn it off. :frown: Same for itv player.

I use AdBlock wherever possible. I use it on Spotify so I can get the streams ad-free and not have to pay. ^.^' Then use the money I save to buy CDs for artists I want to support.

At the moment with 4od, I right-click pause adblock before I press play, and then turn it back on when the first ad begins. After enduring that one ad, it blocks the rest. I'm sure adblock will get ahead eventually though as it always does, and become undetectable.

With itv player, I don't remember if this same method works because I haven't been on there for a long time, but it may do. I remember the itv1 live stream played ad-free when the football was on the other day...
Original post by TheGuyReturns
I don't. I figure that even if the website makes no money and dies as a result, the market will ensure a similar website will emerge. Also, it's okay for me to use AdBlock because not everyone else is going to use it. So I can use it as long as not everybody does.

no. i feel better:biggrin:
Reply 28
It depends on the settings. Personally I think it's fine to use it, provided it's being used to block adverts that are intrusive. Use of the software exerts a pressure for advertisers to be reasonable and fair to their visitors.

Using it to block all adverts indiscriminately however means you're depriving people of this means of revenue, which can have the effect of making good websites financially unviable, purely because of their popularity.
Nope. I don't feel bad one bit about using it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope. I donate to sites I use a lot and like.
Sometimes but not very. I wouldn't use it if the adverts weren't so intrusive and obvious, like the youtube videos. I've also set it up for my mum because she kept clicking them and buying things from obscure websites and she'd get scammed :facepalm2:
~Only one I feel bad about is Tickld, as they say on their page "hey we see you're using adblock, that's cool we don't mind please consider supporting us in other ways" then I feel guilty :tongue:
The way I see it (especially with youtubers) is that it was THEIR choice to try and make money from the internet, and its MY choice not to be plagued by ads all the time.
Original post by Pride
At the moment with 4od, I right-click pause adblock before I press play, and then turn it back on when the first ad begins. After enduring that one ad, it blocks the rest. I'm sure adblock will get ahead eventually though as it always does, and become undetectable.

With itv player, I don't remember if this same method works because I haven't been on there for a long time, but it may do. I remember the itv1 live stream played ad-free when the football was on the other day...

Can't wait to test this, 4OD ads are getting longer and I can't handle it haha
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Can't wait to test this, 4OD ads are getting longer and I can't handle it haha

I know; it's ridiculous! I swear they're longer than the TV adverts.
Original post by TroyAndAbed
I know; it's ridiculous! I swear they're longer than the TV adverts.

Sometimes they feel like that!! Was watching something on 4OD a few days ago and the adverts were like 3-4 minutes long :eek: I've definitely seen some TV adverts way shorter than that
I don't feel bad at all to be honest.
No.
Original post by CrapDunGoofed

Hahahaha best :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: , no reps tho :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest