The Student Room Group

How do I deal with my on and off step dad?

He's not on and off like relationship wise. he and my mom are happily married. Hes on and off as in behavior wise. So I just came back home from my grandma's house. and we were just laughing about something my sister did, and 5 minutes later he says.
"We're gonna be having a talk"
that's bad in case you didn't know...
It is really annoying and I can't do anything about it.
He can really hurt my feelings sometimes.
So my real dad is in florida and I can't see him. My mom thinks he dangerous but I love him very much. My step father really hates him.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Nicki vs Cardi
He's not on and off like relationship wise. he and my mom are happily married. Hes on and off as in behavior wise. So I just came back home from my grandma's house. and we were just laughing about something my sister did, and 5 minutes later he says.
"We're gonna be having a talk"
that's bad in case you didn't know...
It is really annoying and I can't do anything about it.
He can really hurt my feelings sometimes.
So my real dad is in florida and I can't see him. My mom thinks he dangerous but I love him very much. My step father really hates him.

You should try talking with your mother about your feelings and ask her to communicate this with your father. You should go to services such as childline if it gets worse.
All the best
Original post by Nicki vs Cardi

It's extremely common for mothers to bad mouth the fathers to the children after they spilt up.
It's very common for the new man in the mother's life to do the same.

That's very much human nature.

It sounds like your dad is a lot better man than they are claiming.
Would you rather live with your dad now? If so, what can you do to increase the chances of that happening?
Could you secretly record any of the bad behaviour of your mum or step dad? And use that as leverage to get your move.
Could you tell everyone that you'd rather live with your dad? BTW would your dad be happy to have you living with him?
Could you start rebelling against the regime of your mum and step-dad?

Some discipline in some things from your mum and step dad are fine. As long as it's appropriate discipline. And not abusive discipline.
Excessive discipline or inconsistent discipline is bad parenting.
Reply 3
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
It's extremely common for mothers to bad mouth the fathers to the children after they spilt up.
It's very common for the new man in the mother's life to do the same.

That's very much human nature.

It sounds like your dad is a lot better man than they are claiming.
Would you rather live with your dad now? If so, what can you do to increase the chances of that happening?
Could you secretly record any of the bad behaviour of your mum or step dad? And use that as leverage to get your move.
Could you tell everyone that you'd rather live with your dad? BTW would your dad be happy to have you living with him?
Could you start rebelling against the regime of your mum and step-dad?

Some discipline in some things from your mum and step dad are fine. As long as it's appropriate discipline. And not abusive discipline.
Excessive discipline or inconsistent discipline is bad parenting.

He's a better man now, I really don't know who I want to live with. I don't think recording could work. My dad would be thrilled if I lived with him but my parents would get really, really, next level bad. Heck no, I could definitely not rebel. I would be dead. Thanks for the advice tho
Reply 4
In these situations, communication is the best policy. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your stepfather directly about it. Perhaps, talking to your mother about how you feel would be the best option. She can talk with your stepfather about it or even sit you both down and be a bit of a mediator lol.
Good luck! <3
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
In these situations, communication is the best policy. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your stepfather directly about it. Perhaps, talking to your mother about how you feel would be the best option. She can talk with your stepfather about it or even sit you both down and be a bit of a mediator lol.
Good luck! <3

thanks so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending