The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

(edited 9 years ago)
OCR A! wow Im so late
Help!

When chlorine is added to a solution containing bromide or iodide ions, a colour change occurs. What solvent would you add to the mixture to confirm the identity of the halogen produced?

Is it not AgNO3...? and the result a cream ppt? (next question asked the result for if bromine was produced)
Original post by Nautic4l
Help!

When chlorine is added to a solution containing bromide or iodide ions, a colour change occurs. What solvent would you add to the mixture to confirm the identity of the halogen produced?

Is it not AgNO3...? and the result a cream ppt? (next question asked the result for if bromine was produced)

you add acidified silver nitrate (acidified to get rid of any unwanted ions i.e CO32-) the result would be cream ppt of silver bromide.
Original post by ThatMadClown
you add acidified silver nitrate (acidified to get rid of any unwanted ions i.e CO32-) the result would be cream ppt of silver bromide.

The mark scheme says 'A hydrocarbon (solvent) / volasil /named hydrocarbon solvent /tetrachloromethane' and 'Red / brown /orange / amber / yellowOr any combinationNo TE on incorrect / no reagent' for the result Q :frown:
Help!

Yeah AgNO3 is the common standard; will produce Ag+ ions in the mixture and it's the precipitate that forms with the halide ions you react it with that will give you the different colours.

AgBr is cream coloured if I remember correctly
AgI is yellow.
Original post by James A
Yeah AgNO3 is the common standard; will produce Ag+ ions in the mixture and it's the precipitate that forms with the halide ions you react it with that will give you the different colours.

AgBr is cream coloured if I remember correctly
AgI is yellow.

Read my other reply too please! I'm confused haha
Read my other reply too please! I'm confused haha

You add silver nitrate as a standard method to getting a ppt

Let's say you've got a solution of bromoethane, you add sodium hydroxide to it, these react releasing the Br- ion, I'm going to assume that you know the mechanism behind this? But now youve got bromide ions in the solution, after the addition of silver nitrate you should be getting a ppt of the silver bromide.
You add silver nitrate as a standard method to getting a ppt

Let's say you've got a solution of bromoethane, you add sodium hydroxide to it, these react releasing the Br- ion, I'm going to assume that you know the mechanism behind this? But now youve got bromide ions in the solution, after the addition of silver nitrate you should be getting a ppt of the silver bromide.

That's not what it says on the mark scheme. I quoted you previously
That's not what it says on the mark scheme. I quoted you previously

Can you post a pic of the question ?
Can you post a pic of the question ?

I'll link you both the paper and the mark scheme in just a second

the best thing to do would be writing that answer in your notes. Im on AQA and we do the silver nitrate test.
the best thing to do would be writing that answer in your notes. Im on AQA and we do the silver nitrate test.

Cheers! It's an old paper so maybe it's not on the papers anymore but I might as well I think!
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Chemistry/2013/Exam%20materials/6CH01_01_que_20110113.pdf

May someone explain to me why in Q6a) why Answer A can be completely ruled out?
and I don't get Q11)

thankyou
Out of curiosity to those of you doing the Empa on AQA, when are you doing this?
I am going over Hess' law cycles and I can't seem to remember why standard enthalpy change of formation always needs 1 mole of product on the right hand side and why combustion always has 1 mole of elements and compounds on the left side of the equation.

All I know is that it does! But whyyy?

Thanks
Original post by Super199
Out of curiosity to those of you doing the Empa on AQA, when are you doing this?

The week after easter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I am going over Hess' law cycles and I can't seem to remember why standard enthalpy change of formation always needs 1 mole of product on the right hand side and why combustion always has 1 mole of elements and compounds on the left side of the equation.

All I know is that it does! But whyyy?

Thanks

Because that's the definition:
" Energy change of formation is the energy change when 1 mole of a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states under standard conditions(298K 1atm)

Energy change of combustion is the energy when 1 mole of a substance is completely burned in an excess of oxygen under standard conditions " "

May you look at my post and help me please? I forgot about those things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frozo123
Because that's the definition:
" Energy change of formation is the energy change when 1 mole of a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states under standard conditions(298K 1atm)

Energy change of combustion is the energy when 1 mole of a substance is completely burned in an excess of oxygen under standard conditions " "

May you look at my post and help me please? I forgot about those things

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right thank you, thats be not bothering to look at my definitions lol and yeah sure one sec!

Quick Reply

Latest