The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

What UMS scores would get you the interview stage for mathematics provided you had good GCSEs?

And do they consider the irrelevant subjects/subjects you've dropped when you put in your application and in your offer?
(edited 9 years ago)
It's hard to predict exact UMS scores, but seeing as they'll be wanting A*A*A next year I would say at least 90%, preferably 95%. I believe the average applicant UMS is around the 95% mark.
I know that its best to have >95% in all maths modules, but what about other subjects? One of my other subjects is history and 95% seems very optimistic as the boundary for an A is far lower.
Original post by polymath98
I know that its best to have >95% in all maths modules, but what about other subjects? One of my other subjects is history and 95% seems very optimistic as the boundary for an A is far lower.

For maths applicants they are only interested in Maths, and Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mitymiget
It's hard to predict exact UMS scores, but seeing as they'll be wanting A*A*A next year I would say at least 90%, preferably 95%. I believe the average applicant UMS is around the 95% mark.

Offer holder average is approx 95%, applicant average is somewhat lower.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
For maths applicants they are only interested in Maths, and Physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep and MUMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay so I got 6 A*s at GCSE, 3 As and 2 Bs. predicted straight As at AS but I think I may get a B in philosophy. Also taking English Lit, History and maths and my Lit coursework is full marks. I should hopefully get over 90% in all the other exams. Will Cambridge look down on my GCSEs and a B at AS?
Edit: Also I'm applying for law.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
Okay so I got 6 A*s at GCSE, 3 As and 2 Bs. predicted straight As at AS but I think I may get a B in philosophy. Also taking English Lit, History and maths and my Lit coursework is full marks. I should hopefully get over 90% in all the other exams. Will Cambridge look down on my GCSEs and a B at AS?
Edit: Also I'm applying for law.

6A* is within the boundaries of those who get offers for law. Your UMS ranking will exclude Philosophy but in the overall assessment of your application, they will note the Philosophy. By itself it is not a deal breaker, it just makes you marginally less competitive than the candidate who scores highly in all four subjects. Nothing that interview can't overcome. However don't apply to Churchill (see what they say on their website.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
6A* is within the boundaries of those who get offers for law. Your UMS ranking will exclude Philosophy but in the overall assessment of your application, they will note the Philosophy. By itself it is not a deal breaker, it just makes you marginally less competitive than the candidate who scores highly in all four subjects. Nothing that interview can't overcome. However don't apply to Churchill (see what they say on their website.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much. My other three will almost certainly be 97%+ and philosophy may even be a low A. Which college would you recommend applying to and any idea what should I put as my other university choices? Probably A*A*A* predictions.
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
Thanks very much. My other three will almost certainly be 97%+ and philosophy may even be a low A. Which college would you recommend applying to and any idea what should I put as my other university choices? Probably A*A*A* predictions.

If you have a realistic chance of 3A* I would apply to 5 top unis. So a selection from UCL, LSE, KCL, Durham, Exeter, Edinburgh, Bristol. I'm not that up on the top unis for Law. Durham and UCL I would check what their websites say about GCSEs. For English and Economics 6 A* would be lowish.

As regards colleges pick what you like in terms of location, age of buildings, size. It makes little difference as teaching is largely centralised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ATokyoDrifter
HELLO. I'm just going to be honest about this. My GCSEs were genuinely SHOCKING. I was predicted ALL As and A*s at GCSE, and this was possibly the worst thing that happened to me. I got far too cocky and complacent, and it was the biggest mistake of my life hithero. Instead of getting all As and A*s, I got 4 As and the rest were Bs :frown:. Being a massive blouse about it didn't work, so from when I started college I made it my task, from the very first day, to ace every single test I would get. Currently, every mock test that has been thrown at me in AS level I have gotten an A in, bar two 'surprise' mocks in which I got Bs. TO THE POINT. I am on track to get all As at AS level, and also all above 92% (my college predicts this for some reason). I am hopeful that this time around I will get the grades I deserve and am predicted. BASICALLY, DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE ANY SORT OF ADVICE TO GIVE TO ME REGARDING THE POSSIBILITY OF ME APPLYING TO CAMBRIDGE?

Regards, Sam.

Work bloody hard don't just rely on predicts. Cam looks more on ums average. Also try to focus on the subject you are applying for . Show that you are genuinely interested in the subject. And if you can score higher that's better. But one last advice. Never rely on predicts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys I'm an international student and am aware of the fact that they generally don't interview international students unless they are sure they stand a good chance of getting in. I got 9A*s at igcse and we just had a mock for AS and I averaged 92 ums for the most relevant subjects (further maths, chemistry, physics) hoping my grades would improve by ~5 ums points by the end of easter. Does anyone know how important are the teacher references for the application process? And how stellar would my a level grades have to be to compensate for not-so-stellar teacher references? haha thanks in advance
Original post by Sydian
Hi guys I'm an international student and am aware of the fact that they generally don't interview international students unless they are sure they stand a good chance of getting in. I got 9A*s at igcse and we just had a mock for AS and I averaged 92 ums for the most relevant subjects (further maths, chemistry, physics) hoping my grades would improve by ~5 ums points by the end of easter. Does anyone know how important are the teacher references for the application process? And how stellar would my a level grades have to be to compensate for not-so-stellar teacher references? haha thanks in advance

In what way not stellar? Academic worries or behaviour/ attitude etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
In what way not stellar? Academic worries or behaviour/ attitude etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

behaviour/attitude.. Nothing illegal, it's just that my school's particularly strict and I've broken several minor rules haha
(like accidentally setting off the alarm by pushing a door) etc
Original post by Sydian
behaviour/attitude.. Nothing illegal, it's just that my school's particularly strict and I've broken several minor rules haha
(like accidentally setting off the alarm by pushing a door) etc

Hahaha lol u set the alarm off by accident, damnn

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I got AAAD in chemistry math English Lang and aict respectively , would cambridge consider me for PBS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by twenty16app
i know this thread is a level dominated but i just want to know my chance of getting in to cambridge. i take IB.

Physics HL 7
Maths HL 6
Chinese HL 7
Econ SL 7
Art SL 7
English SL 6

For what though?
Umm... not sure if this is the right place to post this but:
I'm in year 11 and I already have four GCSEs:
RE: A
Statistics: A
Engineering: A
ICT: A
And I'm on track to get:
English Literature: A*
English Language: A*
History: A*
Maths: A*
Physics: A*
Chemistry: A*
Biology: A
French: A
Spanish: A/B
Music: A
And for a-level I would be looking to take English literature, history, physics, and chemistry (or possibly maths, but probably chemistry...)
I'm just wondering if I get a B in Spanish, and potentially one in another subject, will this affect my application negatively? Is it difficult to get in with just 6A*s?
Also, what would class as 'extenuating circumstances'? Because my mother's been fighting breast cancer since I was 11, was on the verge of death when I was 12, then made an almost miraculous recovery but has again deteriorated and is looking unlikely to make it to the end of the year, which is understandably affecting me negatively. I have no father, so am having to look after her myself, with a little help from my aunt and grandma (though my aunt has four children so is a little busy!) and I feel this is affecting the amount of time I've had for revision, and to finish off my music coursework and most recent Spanish speaking assessment, in which I got a C, considerably lower than the A in the one I did a year ago?
I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge for English, by the way :smile: thanks for any help!
Original post by Rosaleen
Umm... not sure if this is the right place to post this but:
I'm in year 11.... thanks for any help!

Really sorry to read about your mum, and yes that definitely counts as extenuating circumstances.

More info about how Cambridge considers situations like that here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

You might also like to follow this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3164815
2017 Cambridge Hopefuls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Really sorry to read about your mum, and yes that definitely counts as extenuating circumstances.

More info about how Cambridge considers situations like that here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

You might also like to follow this thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3164815
2017 Cambridge Hopefuls

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: both the links are very useful- how would one go about expressing the case of 'extenuating circumstances'? Do you just attach the form to your application?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending