The Student Room Group

Jeremy Clarkson dropped from Top Gear

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wsxcde
come on everyone need 1.5 million signatures https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

For freedom of speech!

je suis clarkson

No. The BBC are better off without him anyway, I have never liked him.

Surprised how that even got 1million signatures in the first place :rolleyes:
Reply 281
I know people are saying of course he got fired. I will however miss him on Top Gear as I thought his sarcasm and banter was hilarious.

However, how comes the likes of Chris Brown still have recording contracts? Double standards. Also the BBC hired Leslie Grantham for Eastenders (after he had been convicted for a murder) and nobody said anything. Cant help but think everyone is getting overly upset about Clarkson when there are famous people (who still have contracts) who have done a lot worse.
Original post by spotify95

Surprised how that even got 1million signatures in the first place :rolleyes:

It's quite embarrassing that a petition to reinstate Jeremy Clarkson got more signatures than the amount of people who voted in this year's Youth Parliament elections... Talk about misplaced values.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Why do you think Clarkson leaked it?

Surely the news stories at the time contained a statement from the BBC? Clarkson let the BBC know, the BBC then suspended him and issued a statement about it. That's what I presumed had happened anyway...

I'd need to check the precise sequence of events, but my recollection was the media had it before the BBC statement? If I'm wrong about that, then fair enough. I heard Ian Hislop speculating that Clarkson was controlling events when he was asked about it on Radio 4. I think the whole thing has been Clarkson from the get-go, including the staged hissy-fight, which I'm sure he decided was a suitably obnoxious act likely to get him kicked off the show.

My guess is that Sky already had an offer in front of him and he needed an 'out' from the Beeb.
Original post by matl
I know people are saying of course he got fired. I will however miss him on Top Gear as I thought his sarcasm and banter was hilarious.

However, how comes the likes of Chris Brown still have recording contracts? Double standards. Also the BBC hired Leslie Grantham for Eastenders (after he had been convicted for a murder) and nobody said anything. Cant help but think everyone is getting overly upset about Clarkson when there are famous people (who still have contracts) who have done a lot worse.

Chris Brown is a singer, he has a contract with a record company, so it's a totally different concept and plus he isn't with the BBC so if he was the same thing would happen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by matl

Not to mention that they kept many serial paedophiles and self-confessed sex pests like John Peel on the books for years despite it apparently being 'common knowledge' internally that they were getting up to those things.

Clearly the BBC wanted rid of Clarkson just as much as he wanted rid of them.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I'd need to check the precise sequence of events, but my recollection was the media had it before the BBC statement? If I'm wrong about that, then fair enough. I heard Ian Hislop speculating that Clarkson was controlling events when he was asked about it on Radio 4. I think the whole thing has been Clarkson from the get-go, including the staged hissy-fight, which I'm sure he decided was a suitably obnoxious act likely to get him kicked off the show.

My guess is that Sky already had an offer in front of him and he needed an 'out' from the Beeb.

But if his contract was up anyway, could clarkson not just have chosen not to sign a new one if he needed out?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
But if his contract was up anyway, could clarkson not just have chosen not to sign a new one if he needed out?

Don't know. Depends on his contractual terms. However, perhaps he just really, really hates the Beeb now for being mean to him about using the show as a platform for casual racism, so this is his idea of revenge.

Or then again, maybe, as James May says, he's just a knob.
Reply 288
Original post by MrMackyTv
Chris Brown is a singer, he has a contract with a record company, so it's a totally different concept and plus he isn't with the BBC so if he was the same thing would happen.

That does not avoid the fact they hired Leslie Grantham after he committed a murder and no one batted an eyelid.

Seems people just jumped on the bandwagon with Clarkson, however don't jump on the moral bandwagon when horrendous individuals like Grantham are hired.
Original post by spotify95

They're really not.

They've killed their most successful export, their biggest money spinner for what?

A minor dust up that no doubt happens time and again behind the scenes in showbiz but is dealt with in house and/or brushed under the carpet so they can get on with entertaining people and making bank.

What the BBC has done makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Truth is the liberal yahoos at the BBC have wanted any excuse to get rid of Clarkson.

Top Gear was the only British TV I watched and now its over its a travesty.

When I see reruns now I get upset knowing there won't be anymore.

The BBC has a responsibility to provide something for everyone they are seriously lacking in their mandate.

On a lighter note (not sure if this has been posted)

[video="youtube;iLRna0RRvxo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLRna0RRvxo[/video]
Original post by wsxcde
Excuse me but I thought the UK was supposed to be a democracy, far more people signed a petition to bring back clarkson than to sack him. So the people have spoken. We are living in a BBC dictatorship though because even though we all pay for the BBC they just go off and do whatever they want to, ignoring the votes of the people who pay for them. Just like the government as well. If the government cared they would have forced the BBC to reinstate clarkson and compensate him for firing him.

UK is a democratic country but 1 million out of how many people who watch Top Gear??? Whether you like it or not he has been sacked because he did something very stupid and immature. The BBC is run by the government... so they are the ones who are really in charge. Imagine this, you run BBC, how embarrasing would it be that you reinstate someone who punched a producer? The producer could sue the BBC for not ensuring the safety of employees and everyone would shame them. What's worse, one million people against firing Clarkson or the whole nation shaming you? I think the second one's worse.
1 million out of a global audience of 350 million... nice try.

Top Gear Fans are even threatening not to pay their tv license, I mean seriously?
Original post by wsxcde
People can choose to vote for clarkson to stay, to be thrown out, or abstain, and the majority who voted wanted clarkson to stay. So the government should force the BBC dictators to rehire clarkson and give him compensation and a pay rise imo. Your option is fascist no different to stalin or hitler imo.

The majority did not vote clarkson to stay... as I said 1 million isn't enough out of the 350 million people around the world who watch it. As I also said the BBC is run by the government so they would make the decision since it is their channel.

No offense but do you even know what fascist means? I don't think my argument would be viewed as a fascist concept. You're probably just a troll and for you to call me hitler/stalin is a bit extreme. Why don't you put yourself in their shoes and see what it's like to own the BBC and see if you make the same decision? The BBC did the right thing and for them to have not done that would've been barbaric.
Original post by wsxcde
you dont seem to understand how voting works, people who didnt voted to abstain and gave up their vote, if 50% of people dont vote then they just vote that they arent interested either way. The BBC is a facist dictatorship which ignored the voters

Just another troll. I do actually know how voting works and it's a petition, petitions aren't really that powerful they're used to persuade someone to do something like the BBC to reinstate Clarkson. So far the BBC hasn't changed their mind and it doesn't look like they will.

A bit of advice, don't call people words that you don't know. You just confuse yourself mate.
Reply 294
Original post by wsxcde
what is next putting clarkson in a concentration camp becaues he decided to speak his mind

They'll get Oisin to falsely accuse Clarkson of raping him next.
Reply 295
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The evidence seems to be that it was Clarkson himself who leaked it to the media. It was definitely Clarkson who informed the BBC formally about the incident - he even rang the DG to let him know personally. That was reported the following day, suggesting that the leak came from Clarkson.

Jezza has been manipulating the media throughout this charade. It is almost certainly the case that he wanted to quit the show and this was his chosen method of doing so. Perhaps the aim was to try to hole the BBC and the series below the waterline, so that it would be too damaged to recover when Clarkie and the gang take off to Sky.

You do love your conspiracy theories. What are you smoking. Can I have some? :smile:
Reply 296
Original post by wsxcde
yeah thats what they will do next have a massive paedophile investigation about clarkson just because he decided to stand up for free speech and try to pin stuff on him to make him disappear in prison

It isn't beyond them. It's all for the "greater good" ofcourse.
Original post by wsxcde
and yet it was one of the most successful petitions ever

the people have spoken!

I don't think so...
Original post by wsxcde
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions#all-time

yes it is the second ever most signed petition on the most used petition site ever.

So 1m people signed it. That means c59m DIDN'T sign it in the UK alone. So on your argument, the majority don't want him reinstated. No?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending