The Student Room Group

Moving into halls

Hi, I’m just wondering if anyone can advise when most people get dropped off/move in prior to the welcome week starting? (Specifically Southampton on 25/9/23, but general advice appreciated too) Thanks
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Emily hilton
Hi, I’m just wondering if anyone can advise when most people get dropped off/move in prior to the welcome week starting? (Specifically Southampton on 25/9/23, but general advice appreciated too) Thanks

Hey @Emily hilton

This generally depends on the university, so Southampton will likely give you a specific move in date/period - but most people generally move in the weekend before welcome week begins (so a couple of days/one day before) or some move in during welcome week :smile:

Natalie
- University of Kent Student Rep

Hi Emily,
It depends on the university (and sometime on the accommodation) but generally, it's the weekend before freshers/welcome week when many students arrive. If you need or want to move in earlier, I'd definitely recommend contacting your accommodation and seeing if this is possible. They should provide more information on moving in prior to your arrival. Good luck with starting uni and packing!

- Sophie

Hi @Emily hilton,

For Edge Hill University you move in the weekend before the start of welcome week so this year it is the 23rd and 24th September with induction week / freshers starting on the 25th. This is what I've been able to find for the university of Southampton with the move in dates being mainly the same as Edge Hill.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
General top tip I always give out, if you have shared fridge/freezer try and move in as early as possible to get the top shelves! Never need to worry about milk/food dripping down on your stuff!!! Be batting off any issues like: :jitsu:
Original post by CCCUOfficial
General top tip I always give out, if you have shared fridge/freezer try and move in as early as possible to get the top shelves! Never need to worry about milk/food dripping down on your stuff!!! Be batting off any issues like: :jitsu:

Genius! :lol:
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Genius! :lol:

Found this out the hard way! :frown:

Usually the weekend before Welcome Week :smile:

Hey there @Emily hilton !
Usually most people move to university at the very start of freshers week which is the week that commences the week before your timetabled lectures start. It usually falls within the second or third week of September but can vary from uni to uni. The students who have applied for accommodation privately will probably move in the week before as their tenancy starts earlier, people who apply through the university usually have their contract starting the day that freshers week starts. There's no specific date you have to move in, just whenever you'd like to and whenever people can help you move in.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Congratulations on Southampton it’s ace university city what with 2 universitys there are so many students and it’ well geared up for them. Most people will move in on Saturday or Sunday. I move din to Deanery (yep Solent) on the Sunday when everything kicks off with a big night out don’t worry about where to go the (we called the angels) will show you where to go and you’ll usually move in a herd anyway.

Hi there @Emily hilton,

Whenever you are ready to start moving really. Most students move in a few days before freshers week so that they are unpacked and a bit more settled on campus. If you have found anyone else who you'll be living with maybe asked them when they are moving in.

All the best,
Sarah

Hello, final year Bm5 student at Southampton here 👋

The majority of people will move in the weekend before fresher’s week. Each accommodation has a move in window, and its usually in your the accommodation offer email.

Here is a link for the Soton dates https://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentservices/hotline-what-to-bring.page.

I really enjoyed moving into halls the weekend of fresher’s week, I moved in on the Saturday and all my flatmates had done the same, so it felt really communal and lively. Staff and student ambassadors were everywhere as well, so it felt very welcoming.

I hope this is helpful. Don’t hesitate if you have any other questions

Cynthia
(University of Southampton student ambassador) https://www.southampton.ac.uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending