The Student Room Group

Outcome of two failed modules?

I am studying first year at the University of Brighton and have resits for two exams in two different modules late August which I am likely going to fail.

Second semester in general saw a grade drop which I attribute mainly to personal issues affecting my mental health and ability to study affectively (my first sem results were mainly 2.1s and those exam in sem 2 that i have passed are sitting at 3rds and 2.2s)

I know you can repeat one module but I'm not sure about what happens if I don't obtain the credits from two.

Any help will be massively appreciated.
Reply 1
it really depends on your uni policy. In my uni we can only fail 1 module a year that's worth 30 credits or 2 15 credit modules (I think). however, if you do fail 2 and they kick you out we're allowed to appeal it (like if your personal issues were out of your control and pretty bad) and see if they allow us to continue. just scan through your unis policy on it because it might be different, they might just let you retake the whole year.
Original post by castle0209
I am studying first year at the University of Brighton and have resits for two exams in two different modules late August which I am likely going to fail.

Second semester in general saw a grade drop which I attribute mainly to personal issues affecting my mental health and ability to study affectively (my first sem results were mainly 2.1s and those exam in sem 2 that i have passed are sitting at 3rds and 2.2s)

I know you can repeat one module but I'm not sure about what happens if I don't obtain the credits from two.

Any help will be massively appreciated.

I suggest you take a look at Brighton's "General Examination and Assessment Regulations for Taught Courses (GEAR)", which you can access from here. (It's in the "Regulations and key documents" section.)

What I believe you are describing is what Brighton call "conditional progression" (see paragraph 5 in section C). This is where you're allowed to progress onto the next stage (second year in your case), but include a repeated module alongside the normal modules for the next stage. Does that sound about right?

They only allow you to do that for up to 20 credits, so unless these two failed modules are very small (10 credits each) that doesn't seem like it would be an option.

If they're both 20-credit modules, then maybe the best approach tactically would be to put all your revision efforts into just one of them right now, with the hope of getting a pass in that one when you resit the exams later this month. That way, you'd only have to repeat one 20-credit module, which is permitted according to GEAR.

By the way, you say you experienced "personal issues affecting my mental health and ability to study affectively". Did you make a claim for extenuating circumstances? How are things now? Any better?

(Edited to replace the actual link to GEAR with a link to the referencing page, as TSR doesn't support the format of URLs which SharePoint often uses.)
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending