The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

About to firm Leeds (AAA) and put Loughborough (AAB) as insurance, anyone know if either have been lenient if you slip a grade in previous years
Original post by Anon606
About to firm Leeds (AAA) and put Loughborough (AAB) as insurance, anyone know if either have been lenient if you slip a grade in previous years

I emailed Leeds and they said they don't do clearing so they would accept some near misses
Original post by Flather
I emailed Leeds and they said they don't do clearing so they would accept some near misses

I'm guessing that'll mean one grade, hoping they'll be ok with AAB (with the B in Maths)
Original post by Anon606
I'm guessing that'll mean one grade, hoping they'll be ok with AAB (with the B in Maths)

This is exactly what they said:
"if we then have any places left on the course, we would allocate those to some ‘near-misses’; those students who have narrowly missed the conditions of their offer, i.e. such as achieved AAB and have an offer of AAA. The best of this cohort of students would then be made unconditional offers. Obviously this situation will change every year based on the number of offers met or exceeded versus any places left on the course.

The Business School does not go into Clearing and would rather take applicants who have made us their Firm choice but narrowly missed the conditions of their offer than take someone who did not even make us one of their original five choices."
Original post by Flather
This is exactly what they said:
"if we then have any places left on the course, we would allocate those to some ‘near-misses’; those students who have narrowly missed the conditions of their offer, i.e. such as achieved AAB and have an offer of AAA. The best of this cohort of students would then be made unconditional offers. Obviously this situation will change every year based on the number of offers met or exceeded versus any places left on the course.

The Business School does not go into Clearing and would rather take applicants who have made us their Firm choice but narrowly missed the conditions of their offer than take someone who did not even make us one of their original five choices."

Thanks for that, are you firming them as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon606
Thanks for that, are you firming them as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably firm York, was debating insuring them
Original post by Flather
Probably firm York, was debating insuring them

What were you other 3 choices?
Original post by Anon606
What were you other 3 choices?

Durham (rejected) Newcastle and Leicester
Hi there!

I have a enquiry about the UCAS personal statement.

I am in a unique situation because due to my national service (NS) in Singapore, I have two opportunities to apply for UK universities, once in my first year of NS and another in my second.

As such, for my first try, I was thinking of not applying for any safety schools since I would not accept the safety school offers anyway.

My options were going to be as such:
Cambridge // LSE Econs // LSE Math and Econs // UCL Econs // UCL Econs and Stats

I have gotten 44 points for my IB exams (with a 7 in math) so my grades should be good enough. The issue is the personal statement.

I have heard that UCL Econs and UCL Econs and Stats are rather similar courses, so writing a personal statement catering to Economics should be sufficient for both courses.

However, seeing that admission to LSE depends heavily on your personal statement, I have been advised against applying for both Econs and Math and Econs at LSE. I have been told that LSE really wants you to cater your application towards one focused course, and it is stupid to apply for both courses as they are not that similar. As such, my questions are:

1) Are LSE Econs and LSE Math and Econs really so different? How difficult is it to write a personal statement that caters to both?

2) Is it true that the schools under UOL such as UCL, LSE are able to see your applications to their different schools? Does that disadvantage me?

3) Is it unwise to apply two courses at the same university like I have? Will the department receive the two applications independently or together?

4) Is it possible that they could reject me from both just because I have applied for both two courses at the same university? Or will that not be a problem and could I very well receive two offers form the same university?

5) After doing my research, the closest course to LSE Econs that I could find within LSE was LSE Math and Econs. Is there any closer degree to Econs within LSE that I missed out on?

Thanks so much! :smile:
Original post by jemmmylim
Hi there!

I have a enquiry about the UCAS personal statement.

I am in a unique situation because due to my national service (NS) in Singapore, I have two opportunities to apply for UK universities, once in my first year of NS and another in my second.

As such, for my first try, I was thinking of not applying for any safety schools since I would not accept the safety school offers anyway.

My options were going to be as such:
Cambridge // LSE Econs // LSE Math and Econs // UCL Econs // UCL Econs and Stats

I have gotten 44 points for my IB exams (with a 7 in math) so my grades should be good enough. The issue is the personal statement.

I have heard that UCL Econs and UCL Econs and Stats are rather similar courses, so writing a personal statement catering to Economics should be sufficient for both courses.

However, seeing that admission to LSE depends heavily on your personal statement, I have been advised against applying for both Econs and Math and Econs at LSE. I have been told that LSE really wants you to cater your application towards one focused course, and it is stupid to apply for both courses as they are not that similar. As such, my questions are:

1) Are LSE Econs and LSE Math and Econs really so different? How difficult is it to write a personal statement that caters to both?

2) Is it true that the schools under UOL such as UCL, LSE are able to see your applications to their different schools? Does that disadvantage me?

3) Is it unwise to apply two courses at the same university like I have? Will the department receive the two applications independently or together?

4) Is it possible that they could reject me from both just because I have applied for both two courses at the same university? Or will that not be a problem and could I very well receive two offers form the same university?

5) After doing my research, the closest course to LSE Econs that I could find within LSE was LSE Math and Econs. Is there any closer degree to Econs within LSE that I missed out on?

Thanks so much! :smile:

Lse are really picky about personal statements so there'd be basically no point in applying there for two different courses, are there no other economics courses in the UK you'd be willing to apply to? Warwick is a similar level to ucl so that could be a good one to put in, otherwise you could just apply to 4 instead of 5 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Lse are really picky about personal statements so there'd be basically no point in applying there for two different courses, are there no other economics courses in the UK you'd be willing to apply to? Warwick is a similar level to ucl so that could be a good one to put in, otherwise you could just apply to 4 instead of 5 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmm that's a good idea, thanks so much :smile:
Is anybody else currently choosing between Durham and Bath as their firm?
For me, both universities and locations have their respective pros and I'm finding it really difficult to choose between them :s-smilie:.
Bath:
Industrial placement year is a massive plus
More mathematical course (BSc)
Highest Student satisfaction rates in the country
Seemingly superior nightlife
Great Sports facilities
Warmer weather

Durham:
More prestigious university so perhaps more respected
Really like the collegiate system and the college I've been allocated
Better international reputation
Cheaper cost of living
Fully catered first year

If anybody else is in a similar position or if anyone has anything to add, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by louisjones
x

I'd go with Bath. I'd say that prestige wise, they're roughly the same, possibly Durham edges it, due to age, really.
That aside, the placement year at Bath should be the deciding factor to go with Bath. Quite often, job offers upon graduation are given to students. That alone would be enough for me.
I just received an offer from UCL for Economics and I'm super happy about it but I'm not really sure if I want to live in London (far away from home etc). I was thinking of firming in Bristol? I was just wondering if people think I'm wasting an opportunity? I know Bristol is good but people keep telling me to firm UCL :/
Original post by Pineappleface317
I just received an offer from UCL for Economics and I'm super happy about it but I'm not really sure if I want to live in London (far away from home etc). I was thinking of firming in Bristol? I was just wondering if people think I'm wasting an opportunity? I know Bristol is good but people keep telling me to firm UCL :/

How come you don't want to live in London of you don't mind me asking? UCL is soooo much better for Economics, definitely one of the best in the country. Bristol is also good, but UCL is much better
Original post by tomixox
How come you don't want to live in London of you don't mind me asking? UCL is soooo much better for Economics, definitely one of the best in the country. Bristol is also good, but UCL is much better

Aha it's cool, big cities just stress me out horribly plus it's really far away from home :P Yeah I keep hearing about how good it is :P I feel like I would be wasting an opportunity.. ahhh so many decisions I need like 2 more years to think about it :L

What do you plan to do after you graduate?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
What do you plan to do when you graduate?

I'm not entirely sure :P I'm mostly interested in development economics so I'll probably do something along those lines.. I think I'm just gonna focus on where to get the degree from first (assuming I get in) :P
I'm not entirely sure :P I'm mostly interested in development economics so I'll probably do something along those lines.. I think I'm just gonna focus on where to get the degree from first (assuming I get in) :P

Oh ok, just had to ask as most people in this thread want to go into Investment Banking in which case you should almost definitely choose UCL. Outside of that, there wouldn't be much difference in career prospects. For Development it would be more about how well you do at undergrad so you can get into a good postgrad program. Whilst UCL has the stronger course Bristol isn't too far behind, it's consistently top 10 http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=economics.

I think there's a lot more to picking a uni than how well it's ranked so I'd say to take a good look at both courses in terms of the modules, and maybe visit both places if you haven't done so already (UCL has an compulsory offer holders day not sure if Bristol does something like this?), speak to students there on what they're like and pick whichever you'd feel would be best suited for you. They're both great choices so congrats on your offers :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi :biggrin:
Where are you off to in September? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending