Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
No it's my first time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nvm then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1381
Original post by frozo123
Well you're missing out enthalpy of atomisation, mean bond enthalpies, enthalpy of hydration, enthalpy of solution, lattice enthalpy
But yeah what you done so far is good

Posted from TSR Mobile

it depends what exam board you are my specification doesn't cover enthalpy of atomisation, hydration or lattice enthalpy.
Original post by frozo123
make sure you actually understand what the definitions are on about
rather than just memorising them, it helps :smile:

Oh okay thanks
Original post by VeryLastMinute
Here are my notes on Hess' Law and Hess Cycles, hope they help, if you can't read any parts let me know and I can type them up.

Edit: Would appreciate some feedback on the notes, just to see if they're missing out on anything. I do international as chem so I sat my unit 1 in January (and wrote that before the exam) and I'm not sure if I've missed out anything there.

Thankyou, it hasd made certain elements a lot clearer
guys....I genuinely do not understand Hess's Law cycles AT ALL.

I've tried and tried....

How did you guys manage to wrap your heads around it?
Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me why some salts are soluble in water while others such as lithium fluoride are not?

Thanks
Original post by wednesday_adams

I've tried and tried....

After a couple of questions it clicked in
Leave it a couple of days and come back, a fresh mind does wonders for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are you guys revising for chemistry? Lots of people are telling me to do past papers but I've done some and they aren't improving my grade :frown:
Original post by C0balt
After a couple of questions it clicked in
Leave it a couple of days and come back, a fresh mind does wonders for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks, that is good advice. i might keep coming back to it with a different mind set until i finally get it..
Original post by chantellerose
How are you guys revising for chemistry? Lots of people are telling me to do past papers but I've done some and they aren't improving my grade :frown:

I recommend making really condensed notes for everything, a bit like this (except for chemistry). It works for me :smile:

I've tried and tried....

I've never really understood the point of drawing those diagrams, I find it easier to just reverse one of the equations to get the products on the right side etc. But you need to remember to flip the sign of the ΔH\Delta H

I've tried and tried....

Don't worry, at AS level as long as you remember the specific equations for whether you have formation or combustion data you will be fine, I remember my teacher saying you could rely on them alone. Although at A2 you will have to have an understanding about it, however it should make more sense at that point in A2.
Out of the three following Intermolecular forces, whats the order of strength?
-Electronegativity (permanent polar dipole-dipole)
-Van der Waals',
-Hydrogen Bonds
Original post by S.Ahmad
Out of the three following Intermolecular forces, whats the order of strength?
-Electronegativity (permanent polar dipole-dipole)
-Van der Waals',
-Hydrogen Bonds

Hydrogen bonds>dipole dipole>van der waals

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Diligence
Hi,

I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me why some salts are soluble in water while others such as lithium fluoride are not?

Thanks

the enthalpy of solution is positive and too endothermic, this means that there is a the entropy of the surroundings is negative, so despite the entropy of the stystem being postive, the total entropy of the system will be negative.
Basically, for AS, the ionic bonds are too strong lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey please can someone help on this question.. I just don't understand or enthalpy changes of combustion in general or of anything. Like when you do energy released and then switch over and do the opposite sign for temp released.. well all that makes no sense to me. Pls help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM2-QP-JUN12.PDF

Quesiton 2C. Can someone explain this to me. If the delta h is positive does that mean the reaction is endothermic. How do you know the reaction is to the right is my question basically.

If it was negative how would you know which way was exothermic or endothermic.

Is the way you do it by looking at the sign and saying the reaction to the right if negative = endothermic. If delta h is positive reaction to right = endothermic?

Thanks.
Also just tried doing it and got for bi) +56430 but I'm unsure whether it should be negative or not. For bii) 0.02 and for biii) 2820000 but that number seems so big so seems wrong
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zara1234567
Hey please can someone help on this question.. I just don't understand or enthalpy changes of combustion in general or of anything. Like when you do energy released and then switch over and do the opposite sign for temp released.. well all that makes no sense to me. Pls help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

First question is Q=mcAT. m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat capacity, delta T is the temperature change.

For second question divide the mass used by molar mass.

For third use the values above and calculate delta H.
deltaH=-Q/n

P.S don't forget to convert to kJ
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zara1234567
Also just tried doing it and got for bi) +56430 but I'm unsure whether it should be negative or not. For bii) 0.02 and for biii) 2820000 but that number seems so big so seems wrong
Posted from TSR Mobile

Divide by thousand to get kJ/mol
First question is positive. Third question is negative

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest