The Student Room Group

Tory candidate suggests mentally ill people should wear wristbands

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/14/tory-candidate-suggests-mentally-ill-people-should-wear-wristbands-5149798/?ito=facebook

A Conservative parliamentary candidate has apparently suggested that mental health patients should wear wristbands to identify their conditions.

Chamali Fernando, who is the Tory candidate for Cambridge, said at a hustings event hosted by the campaign group Keep Our NHS Public that wearing a wristband to indicate the nature of a mentally ill person’s condition would be helpful to professionals to whom certain people cannot explain their condition.

Lovely party.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Godwin's law has got nothing on this. How can a parliamentary candidate be so utterly dense? The Tories won't be winning this particular seat I suspect.
Original post by Dez
Godwin's law has got nothing on this. How can a parliamentary candidate be so utterly dense? The Tories won't be winning this particular seat I suspect.

I think it's a stupid thing to say though I can see the logic. People carry around mini advanced directives and cards talking about conditions they possess.
or they could have a colored symbol to sew onto their jackets... maybe a star or something ?
Original post by keromedic
I think it's a stupid thing to say though I can see the logic. People carry around mini advanced directives and cards talking about conditions they possess.

Choosing to carry a card is fine, in their wallet, where medical professionals can see them if necessary. Being told to wear a wristband on display to the whole world is pretty disgusting.
Original post by jenhasdreams
Choosing to carry a card is fine, in their wallet, where medical professionals can see them if necessary. Being told to wear a wristband on display to the whole world is pretty disgusting.

Which is why I think it's stupid.

Original post by the bear
or they could have a colored symbol to sew onto their jackets... maybe a star or something ?

Are you jewish?
Nothing wrong with that, some diabetics do already. I think it is necessary if they could potentially have a fit or attack so when the doctors/Ambulance arrive they can know straight away what the cause is. It was said with good intentions.
Which is why I think it's stupid.

Are you jewish?

just check my jacket.... no
Original post by the bear
just check my jacket.... no

Did you know the Jehovah's Witnesses were designated their own identification symbol: the purple triangle?

Original post by The two eds
Nothing wrong with that, some diabetics do already. I think it is necessary if they could potentially have a fit or attack so when the doctors/Ambulance arrive they can know straight away what the cause is. It was said with good intentions.

Some people I know with allergies wear tattoos or chains with it but it is their choice.
Reply 9
It was said with good intentions.

Yet it betrays sheer ignorance, which is beyond excuse for a parliamentary candidate. One who hopes to be an MP should not be ignorant of these issues.
Original post by Dez
Yet it betrays sheer ignorance, which is beyond excuse for a parliamentary candidate. One who hopes to be an MP should not be ignorant of these issues.

Recent polls following the statement show a small rise for the Tory candidate. Does not look like it has done damage after all. How does that make you feel?
Did you know the Jehovah's Witnesses were designated their own identification symbol: the purple triangle?

yes
Is it me or does this sound a little Nazi-ish? Next thing you know they'll be killing them all off.
Get outta here man.
Reply 13
Recent polls following the statement show a small rise for the Tory candidate. Does not look like it has done damage after all. How does that make you feel?

It makes me feel sorry for Cambridge, who may end up with a very poor representative this year.

So people who suffer from a mental illenss should have to wear a band displaying it? So aswell as being unfortunate to have the illness, they'd be a prime target for abuse and bullying too.

Some people will support anything the tories say no matter how odious...
Reply 15
She sounds like a bit of a fruitcake, maybe she should get herself a wristband.
Original post by Bornblue
So people who suffer from a mental illenss should have to wear a band displaying it? So aswell as being unfortunate to have the illness, they'd be a prime target for abuse and bullying too.

Some people will support anything the tories say no matter how odious...

If it means it can save their life by meaning they recieve faster and more efficient treatment than yes. Unlike you I care about lives while you care only for money. Why should money be placed above people's lives?
Wouldn't work because people would get jealous and then everyone would start wearing wristbands.
This is ridiculous and just perpetrates stereotypes that people with mental illness are dangerous and should be pointed out, hidden under a cloak of 'care'.
If it means it can save their life by meaning they recieve faster and more efficient treatment than yes. Unlike you I care about lives while you care only for money. Why should money be placed above people's lives?

Oh yeah, because it would take so much time, going into their wallet to find a card.
These are patients with mental illnesses, not physical ones. If you find them on the floor passed out, knowing what mental illness they had won't matter a great matter.

Whilst we're at it, why not make those who've been victims of sexual assault wear a special wristband?
Should we make people with aids wear one?

Should we make these people display their conditions in public and make them the victims and targets of abuse and bullying? Do they not already have a hard enough deal?

It's astonishing how you'll support anything a tory says or does, no matter how disgusting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending