The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Connor_leigh
I'm redoing my ISA to try get a better mark, Is this the AQA one with the milk of magnesia?

Yeah it is

Original post by samb1234
Well done, just be careful what you say as it is against the rules to share specific details about practicals

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh i'll keep that in mind
Original post by grapes12
I did my ISA today. It went really well. For anyone doing AQA and titrations I suggest you look at halides and the precipitates they form, group 2 metals and how to work out solubility

mine didnt:bawling:
Yeah it is

I'll be sure to check this out (Y) Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Original post by amino9
mine didnt:bawling:

Sorry to hear. Is this your resit or do you still have that option? This was my resit, I got a C in my last one but the whole class got D's and E's so I decided to resit too. Missed an hour of philosophy so win win!
mine didnt

Was this your second ISA? Or first?
Sorry to hear. Is this your resit or do you still have that option? This was my resit, I got a C in my last one but the whole class got D's and E's so I decided to resit too. Missed an hour of philosophy so win win!

Yeah majority of my class flunked out on this one too. I think i managed to just scrape a B which isn't what i wanted. Hopefully this one will be a little easier :smile:
Yeah majority of my class flunked out on this one too. I think i managed to just scrape a B which isn't what i wanted. Hopefully this one will be a little easier :smile:

Well done! I got my biology ISA back today and it was a D! The day I took it I had a rough fall out with my boyfriend and I let it get in the way of my grade, so I have to resit that one too! Learn from my mistakes guys, stay single until AFTER exams! Lol
Well done! I got my biology ISA back today and it was a D! The day I took it I had a rough fall out with my boyfriend and I let it get in the way of my grade, so I have to resit that one too! Learn from my mistakes guys, stay single until AFTER exams! Lol

Haven't really had a choice of that haha. I messed up my biology isa too. It's my weakest subject, don't find it that enjoyable and my orthodontist always seems to book my appointments on a tuesday (I have double biology that day). When is your resit?
Haven't really had a choice of that haha. I messed up my biology isa too. It's my weakest subject, don't find it that enjoyable and my orthodontist always seems to book my appointments on a tuesday (I have double biology that day). When is your resit?

Its one of my weaker subjects too, no where near as bad as philosophy though! My resit will be next week. Not sure what its on though, my last one was about rubber tubing being models of blood vessels
Its one of my weaker subjects too, no where near as bad as philosophy though! My resit will be next week. Not sure what its on though, my last one was about rubber tubing being models of blood vessels

Yeah thats what my one was on aswell. What other lessons do you do? Any other ones with ISA's i can help with?
'Boron trichloride is easily hydrolysed to form two different acids as shown in the following equation.
Bcl3 + 3h20 makes(can't do an arrow) H3BO3+3HCl.
Calculate the concentration in mol dm^-3 oh hydrochloric acid produced when 43,2g of boron trichloride are added to water to form 500cm^3 of solution. Give your answer to 3 significant figures'

I've checked a mark scheme and it's saying 43.2/117.3. Can anyone tell me where the 117.3 comes from please?
'Boron trichloride is easily hydrolysed to form two different acids as shown in the following equation.
Calculate the concentration in mol dm^-3 oh hydrochloric acid produced when 43,2g of boron trichloride are added to water to form 500cm^3 of solution. Give your answer to 3 significant figures'

I've checked a mark scheme and it's saying 43.2/117.3. Can anyone tell me where the 117.3 comes from please?

Its the Mr of BCl3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Its the Mr of BCl3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I used the proton number of boron.... My Mr calculation of BCl3 came out wrong. Thats why i was so confused :frown:
Can someone also please explain why you times to moles of Hcl by 1000/500? Thanks in advance
Can someone also please explain why you times to moles of Hcl by 1000/500? Thanks in advance

What's the question

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by Connor_leigh)

What's the question
Here
Here

you work out number moles of boron trichloride BrCl3 so that's what the 117 thing was about.
then you look at the equation
what is the mole ratio?
then work out the conc of Hcl by rearranging moles=conxvol
Anyone need any help with anything? Stuck at a family friends and all my revision stuff is at home :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i despise isas/empas, iv done the chemistry and physics as isas, got 31 on chemistry=(((( and 40 on physics which is okay i guess. Now i have to do an empa for chemistry which i hear are very difficult anyone have any general tips on doing it and ways to revise.
Does anybody know what 32 marks in the AS edexcel chemistry controlled assessment is? Is it a C?

Quick Reply

Latest