The Student Room Group

Nepal earthquake kills around 4000 people

'The Independent'
A massive earthquake measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale has killed more than 100 people and caused extensive damage in the capital of Nepal and throughout the densely populated Kathmandu Valley region.

Initial police estimates put the death toll at 108, following the quake which struck before noon on Saturday. But this number could rise, due to the high number of large families that live in Kathmandu's poorly constructed buildings.

One girl died when a statue in a park in the Nepalese capital fell on her and another was killed when her house collapsed in India.

Many of the injured have been rushed to the city's main hospital with broken limbs ands arms for treatment.

A number of buildings collapsed in the central district of the city, including historic temples, which are hundreds of years old.

A 19th century tower toppled trapping 50 people inside, local media reported. The Dharahara Tower was built in 1832 and had been open to visitors for the last 10 years.

Resident Prachanda Sual said people were running through the streets in panic as ambulance sirens blared and government helicopters monitored the situation from above.

People have been warned to stay outdoors and remain calm as aftershocks are feared.

Tremors were felt across the region and were reported as far away as India, Bangladesh and China.

A newsreader in the Indian capital New Delhi said: “Massive tremors have been felt here in Delhi and several other parts of India.”

Police in the neighbouring Indian state of Bihar have been flooded with calls from concerned residents.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/nepal-earthquake-kathmandu-suffers-damage-as-tremors-felt-as-far-away-as-new-delhi-10203487.html

Very sad news; it sounds like Nepal is in chaos after this mammoth earthquake.

Scroll to see replies

Very sad news, thoughts with everyone affected.
Very sad, RIP

Once the fracking in the UK starts, there will be loads of these in the UK too
Reply 3
#prayfornepal :cry2:
Original post by pagorai
#prayfornepal :cry2:

I thought about you when I saw this :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by jedanselemyia
I thought about you when I saw this :frown:

You are sooo sweet. Really. :cry2::h:
Wouldn't be crazy if earth quacked in Mosul or raqqa
Original post by pagorai
You are sooo sweet. Really. :cry2::h:

It's only normal :h:
Reply 8
The number of death has risen to over 900 now :frown:
How unfortunate, I really do feel for the families out there.
Original post by jedanselemyia
It's only normal :h:

Its just sweet of you to remember that i am from there :smile:
Original post by pagorai
Its just sweet of you to remember that i am from there :smile:

I'm happy you're touched by it
:hugs:
over 1000 people dead

and many climbers on the Himalayas dead
Reply 13
I've updated the title to reflect the updated death toll. So many innocent lives lost. It's terrible.
Reply 14
Original post by ESPORTIVA
over 1000 people dead

and many climbers on the Himalayas dead

I wonder if the mountain has increased in height?
Death toll has reached 1958, and is increasing. And there has been talk of an alert that within 48 hours, an earthquake with magnitude of 9 may hit.
Reply 16
How on earth do they know that?
Original post by mystic shadow
Death toll has reached 1958, and is increasing. And there has been talk of an alert that within 48 hours, an earthquake with magnitude of 9 may hit.

How? There is no way to predict earthquakes.
Original post by DiddyDec
How? There is no way to predict earthquakes.

Exactly. Its been informed to them now that it was false information. That's just sad. How people can make stuff like that up in such crisis, i don't know
Tragic. We are so lucky to live in a relatively geologically stable part of the world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending