The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
No problem.... How do you normally revise???

Original post by CD223
That's such a cool technique! I might try that :smile: thanks for sharing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 401
Original post by dmcque
No problem.... How do you normally revise???

I've made loads of flash cards for the whole course and now I'm starting to plan essays - have you done many past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 402
If done a few if I'm honest.... not many. Its learning content for me. my teacher says my essay style is good so i need to learn content to ensure my detail is high to get high marks....... if all goes wrong we can make up statistics. As long as they sound reasonable they won't be checked. haha!

Original post by CD223
I've made loads of flash cards for the whole course and now I'm starting to plan essays - have you done many past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 403
Original post by dmcque
If done a few if I'm honest.... not many. Its learning content for me. my teacher says my essay style is good so i need to learn content to ensure my detail is high to get high marks....... if all goes wrong we can make up statistics. As long as they sound reasonable they won't be checked. haha!

I find that's often the case with history! Believable stats aren't my forté though haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What points for and against would you bring up for the question

'Nazi war production in the years 1939-45 was essentially inefficient'
How far do you agree with this view?
Reply 405
Original post by Ahmed_Duale
What points for and against would you bring up for the question

'Nazi war production in the years 1939-45 was essentially inefficient'
How far do you agree with this view?

Agree: Nazi party structure and organisation - duplication of function
Agree: Economy inefficiencies - lack of rationalisation before Speer, mishaps with foreign and female labour

Disagree: Rationalisation under Speer
Disagree: Home front morale high - importance of consumer

Any more ideas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, the only other thing I would mention is a lack of raw materials, although this did improve as the war went on.
Reply 407
Original post by Ahmed_Duale
Thanks, the only other thing I would mention is a lack of raw materials, although this did improve as the war went on.

Good point. Germany was never self sufficient in raw materials as it wasn't a natural producer. It imported Romanian coal which wasn't enough.

It failed to fully exploit the areas of land it invaded, and never managed to capture the caucuses region of the USSR when it launched Operation Barbarossa.

Further, the USSR's scorched earth policy was detrimental to German war efforts. The occupied Donbas region of Ukraine produced only 5% of its pre-war output.

Posted from TSR Mobile
5%? Jesus.

Anyways it seems we've had a Weimar question every year, can we expect one this year as well? I'm currently focusing on Second Reich and Hitler's consolidation of power, nazi war opposition and holocaust.
Reply 409
Original post by WilliamSlim
5%? Jesus.

Anyways it seems we've had a Weimar question every year, can we expect one this year as well? I'm currently focusing on Second Reich and Hitler's consolidation of power, nazi war opposition and holocaust.

It seems to be that way aha.

I'm thinking Nazi consolidation and possibly Weimar? I have no idea.
It's gotta be nazi consolidation they've never asked it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 411
I kind of hope last unit doesn't come up because it's probably the one unit you have pretty much nothing to say about. Economy (I think) came up last year, so there'd be nothing else, apart from the final solution which is not a very good topic tbh
Reply 412
Original post by Nchomuzinda
It's gotta be nazi consolidation they've never asked it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like it to be. What do you think we should include?

Events:
Reichstag Fire
March Elections
Opening of Dachau
Potsdam Day
Enabling Act
Banning of SPD/KPD
Dissolutions of Centre, DNVP, DDP and DVP parties
Concordat with Catholic church
Nazis only legal party in Germany

Factors:
Terror and violence?
Propaganda?
Support of elites?
Pragmatism?
Hitler's personal role?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 413
Original post by cuppa
I kind of hope last unit doesn't come up because it's probably the one unit you have pretty much nothing to say about. Economy (I think) came up last year, so there'd be nothing else, apart from the final solution which is not a very good topic tbh

Final solution would be interesting. Chronologically, what era are we supposed to be aware of in the treatment of Jews for that unit?

1939-45? Or beforehand too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 414
Original post by CD223
Final solution would be interesting. Chronologically, what era are we supposed to be aware of in the treatment of Jews for that unit?

1939-45? Or beforehand too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it would be from 1939. For what comes before, we should probably only really mention things like the anti-Semitic nazi origins and all that, if they need be mentioned
Reply 415
Original post by cuppa
I think it would be from 1939. For what comes before, we should probably only really mention things like the anti-Semitic nazi origins and all that, if they need be mentioned

AH cool! It's just my teacher talked of Kristallnacht etc. I wasn't sure whether to make comparisons over how far it radicalized in the war.
I think you've highlighted all the key areas I think structuring it is the hardest part. I would say that the support of the elites was the most important reason why the Nazis could consolidate power. 1 paragraph on support of elites, another on terror and violence then another on veneer of legality. How would you struture your points into an argument ?

Original post by CD223
I would like it to be. What do you think we should include?

Events:
Reichstag Fire
March Elections
Opening of Dachau
Potsdam Day
Enabling Act
Banning of SPD/KPD
Dissolutions of Centre, DNVP, DDP and DVP parties
Concordat with Catholic church
Nazis only legal party in Germany

Factors:
Terror and violence?
Propaganda?
Support of elites?
Pragmatism?
Hitler's personal role?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 417
Original post by Nchomuzinda
I think you've highlighted all the key areas I think structuring it is the hardest part. I would say that the support of the elites was the most important reason why the Nazis could consolidate power. 1 paragraph on support of elites, another on terror and violence then another on veneer of legality. How would you struture your points into an argument ?

Hmm. I think I would say

Support of elites/key institutions:
Potsdam day gaining respect of the elites such as Hindenburg and the kaiser's son
Elites wanting a buffer to KPD, who gained 6.4 million votes in March 1933
Concordat with church reducing interference
Grauert's call for the Reichstag fire decree

Veneer of legality:
Reichstag fire decree seen as justified after building burnt down
Enabling Act allows legal dictatorial power
Law for the restoration of the professional civil service on 7th April removes opponents

Terror, violence and pragmatism:
March elections rigged and dominated by SA violence
150,000-200,000 political arrests
Drafting 500,000 volunteer auxiliary policemen into forces in Prussia
Dachau concentration camp opening to house political opponents
End to habeas corpus
Concordat meaning Hitler will accept Catholicism for acceptance of Nazis

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 418
Would anyone help me add to my essay plans? What could I add to each question? What am I missing?

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
You've got a lot of really good points not sure how you will fit them all into an argument. What about the role of Frick- minister of interior, Goebbells minister of propaganda did they help consolidate nazi power ?

Original post by CD223
Hmm. I think I would say

Support of elites/key institutions:
Potsdam day gaining respect of the elites such as Hindenburg and the kaiser's son
Elites wanting a buffer to KPD, who gained 6.4 million votes in March 1933
Concordat with church reducing interference
Grauert's call for the Reichstag fire decree

Veneer of legality:
Reichstag fire decree seen as justified after building burnt down
Enabling Act allows legal dictatorial power
Law for the restoration of the professional civil service on 7th April removes opponents

Terror, violence and pragmatism:
March elections rigged and dominated by SA violence
150,000-200,000 political arrests
Drafting 500,000 volunteer auxiliary policemen into forces in Prussia
Dachau concentration camp opening to house political opponents
End to habeas corpus
Concordat meaning Hitler will accept Catholicism for acceptance of Nazis

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending