The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

can someone explain this to me please? (aqa board)
In terms of atomic structure, explain why the van der Waals’ forces in liquid argon arevery weak.
Original post by blueberry389
can someone explain this to me please? (aqa board)
In terms of atomic structure, explain why the van der Waals’ forces in liquid argon arevery weak.

As you go across a period, the amount of protons increases. This increases the attraction between the outer shell electrons and the nucleus, which draws in the outer shell electrons more, making the atom smaller. The smaller the atom, the weaker the Van Der Waals forces of attraction.
Hi could someone explain how to find the answer to this question/questions like this? Is it something to do with equilibria favouring fwd reaction due to the fact you added OH ions (and it wanted to revert back by adding more H ions? And because the fwd reaction causes yellow colour, the solution just remains yellow? Or something else

Thanks

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 18.48.36.png
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gabby07
Hi could someone explain how to find the answer to this question/questions like this? Is it something to do with equilibria favouring fwd reaction due to the fact you added OH ions (and it wanted to revert back by adding more H ions? And because the fwd reaction causes yellow colour, the solution just remains yellow? Or something else

Thanks

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 18.48.36.png

The OH ions from the sodium hydroxide will react with the H+ on the right hand side to form H20 and therefore the H+ ions from the equilibrium is removed. Can you now see which direction the equilibrium will shift to compensate? :tongue:
Original post by James A
The OH ions from the sodium hydroxide will react with the H+ on the right hand side to form H20 and therefore the H+ ions from the equilibrium is removed. Can you now see which direction the equilibrium will shift to compensate? :tongue:

Ah yes. Thanks for the explanation :h:
How was the Unit 3 exam folks??
for the unit 3 exam are you guys gonna revise ever single thing in group 2 and group 7? cuz theres a lot, should i just revise the bits related to the practical we did cuz i can remember the things we added
Could you guys help me out on structure & bonding?

I just don't understand how to work out the final shape of the molecule l, like do you guys have any tips? xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Heretohelp!

I just don't understand how to work out the final shape of the molecule l, like do you guys have any tips? xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at the number of bonded pairs: lone pairs in the molecule. Lone pairs always repel more that bonded pairs. There's a rule that it's about 2.5 degrees difference in repulsion per lone pair added (but there's other factors involved also. So don't worry about that too much).

There is some memorisation involved (in OCR anyway). Use your notes, resources etc

E.g H20, because oxygen has 6 electrons in it's outer shell. Therefore there will be 2 bonded pairs and 2 lone pairs in tge molecule because 2 of oxygen's electrons are used in 1 covalent bond (with a hydrogen atom) each. Lps repel more than bps, therefore the bond angle is 104.5 degrees with a shape which is described as ''angular'' or ''v-shaped''. Learn the shapes and bond angle rules.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by becauseitslaura
As you go across a period, the amount of protons increases. This increases the attraction between the outer shell electrons and the nucleus, which draws in the outer shell electrons more, making the atom smaller. The smaller the atom, the weaker the Van Der Waals forces of attraction.

I would also be inclined to mention that it exists as a single atom therefore is a smaller molecule and has lower van der waals forces
Original post by Heretohelp!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This helps :smile:. This is how I do it..
So for example.. BCl3
I would find the amount of e- in central atoms outer shell in this case B (group 3 so 3)
B = 3e-
3Cl e- = (3+3 = 6e- /2 so 3 electron pairs and 3 bonding pairs, no lone pairs
if you learn the table you'll know it's trigonal planar
(edited 8 years ago)
Is there an equation or formula that we could use to work out half lives because I'm really struggling to it work out especially when you are not given intial amount of the radioisotope and what is left over
A84
x
Georgiam247
x
TARS
x
Cherry82
x

I'm kinda replying a bit late but you guys gave me really good advice. I'm actually doing the full alevels here biology, chemistry and maths this yr plus as physics. I've been off tsr and managed to get AS + half A2 maths, AS biology and a little bit of chemistry and physics done this week (learnt and understood, did some practice questions on topics as I learnt them, I also plan to do the papers real soon). The splitting into chapters and topics technique makes it easier to learn the stuff and seems less overwhelming. Thanks so much.

btw what's georgiam247, what's LTM?
Original post by samwillettsxxx
This helps :smile:. This is how I do it..
So for example.. BCl3
I would find the amount of e- in central atoms outer shell in this case B (group 3 so 3)
B = 3e-
3Cl e- = (3+3 = 6e- /2 so 3 electron pairs and 3 bonding pairs, no lone pairs
if you learn the table you'll know it's trigonal planar

Yeah I've been told how to do this method but always get stuck. Thanks for replying though :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2314
Original post by jadys10
I'm kinda replying a bit late but you guys gave me really good advice. I'm actually doing the full alevels here biology, chemistry and maths this yr plus as physics. I've been off tsr and managed to get AS + half A2 maths, AS biology and a little bit of chemistry and physics done this week (learnt and understood, did some practice questions on topics as I learnt them, I also plan to do the papers real soon). The splitting into chapters and topics technique makes it easier to learn the stuff and seems less overwhelming. Thanks so much.

btw what's georgiam247, what's LTM?

Ur much welcome. always message if u need any further help I do AS bio chem and phy.
Reply 2315
need help in gce paper unit 1 chemistry question 16 b (ii) which is Suggest how you would mix the acid and the coral to ensure that no carbn dioxide escaped from apparatus... ive found an old TSR thread with various answers.. does this look good. what is the "perfect answer"??

From old TSR thread:

Stick coral to a bung half fill test tube with acid put bung into test tube shake or flip the other way up so they come into contact In the sealed test tube
Original post by A84
need help in gce paper unit 1 chemistry question 16 b (ii) which is Suggest how you would mix the acid and the coral to ensure that no carbn dioxide escaped from apparatus... ive found an old TSR thread with various answers.. does this look good. what is the "perfect answer"??

From old TSR thread:

Stick coral to a bung half fill test tube with acid put bung into test tube shake or flip the other way up so they come into contact In the sealed test tube

That could work but the gas produced will have nowhere to go so bung could shoot out lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi. I'm getting slightly confused over calculating the different types of enthalpy changes. I used to be OK with this, but for some reason, the way I've always used isn't getting me the right answer in this particular question.

So, my understanding:

∆Hr = ∑∆Hc (reactants) - ∑∆Hc (products)

So in a question like this:

Given the following data:

Substance
H2O(l)
CO2(g)
Ethane C2H6(g)
Ethene C2H4(g)
∆Hf/kJmol-1
+52.0

Calculate the enthalpy of combustion of Ethane.

Would you use the equation I gave above? Or would you simply use the products - reactants formula.

Also, please can you explain why you used the particular method you did, as I believe this is where my knowledge is lacking.
Original post by gabby07
Hi. I'm getting slightly confused over calculating the different types of enthalpy changes. I used to be OK with this, but for some reason, the way I've always used isn't getting me the right answer in this particular question.

So, my understanding:

∆Hr = ∑∆Hc (reactants) - ∑∆Hc (products)

So in a question like this:

Given the following data:

Substance
H2O(l)
CO2(g)
Ethane C2H6(g)
Ethene C2H4(g)
∆Hf/kJmol-1
+52.0

Calculate the enthalpy of combustion of Ethane.

Would you use the equation I gave above? Or would you simply use the products - reactants formula.

Also, please can you explain why you used the particular method you did, as I believe this is where my knowledge is lacking.

On a question like this you it's always best to draw a Hess cycle for the information you've been given and the info you want to find out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
On a question like this you it's always best to draw a Hess cycle for the information you've been given and the info you want to find out

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the question provides enough information to draw a Hess Cycle...

Once I have drawn up the cycle, I find that I am missing info for Delta H combustion of Carbon :rolleyes:

My working
https://filetea.me/t1sTO0Q8BslQXauOLqp2w9k5A
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest