Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovecake123
how do you convert into grams?
thanks again

x10^-3

Posted from TSR Mobile
aqa suck
(edited 8 years ago)
When you're testing for halides, I know you would normally add nitric acid and then silver nitrate but what would be the reason for adding the silver nitrate first and then the nitric acid? Any help would be appreciated- just can't seem to think why you would do it that way!
Original post by purplefoot
When you're testing for halides, I know you would normally add nitric acid and then silver nitrate but what would be the reason for adding the silver nitrate first and then the nitric acid? Any help would be appreciated- just can't seem to think why you would do it that way!

Why shouldn't you? If you do it that way you can sort of use it as a test for carbonates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Why shouldn't you? If you do it that way you can sort of use it as a test for carbonates

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see, thank you!
Original post by purplefoot
Oh I see, thank you!

They would never do it that way though so I don't think you would need to know why.
The nitric acid is added first to make sure no ions interfere with the test with silver nitrate
Original post by ilovecake123
hi can someone help me with this question thanks

methanol starts to have toxic effects when it is present in blood at levels of above 200mg in 1000g
express this in parts per million

ppm= mass of solute (g) / mass of solution (g) x1000000

so lets fill in the places

milligrams means one thousandth of a gram so 200mg would be 0.2g because it's 200/1000

in 1kg you have 1000g
Now..
ppm= 0.2/1000 X1000000
= 200 ppm

If you have any further questions let me know :smile: although someone called samb may be more suitable for help as I've forgotten half of AS chemistry lol
Question about redox here
if the atom ox state goes up e.g +2 to +3 it's lost electrons and therefore has been oxidised
and if the atom ox state goes down +1 to 0 then it's reduced - gained electrons????

i just can't get my head round it
Original post by samwillettsxxx
if the atom ox state goes up e.g +2 to +3 it's lost electrons and therefore has been oxidised
and if the atom ox state goes down +1 to 0 then it's reduced - gained electrons????

Remember this mnemonic.

OIL RIG

Oxidation Is Loss (of electrons), Reduction Is Gain (of electrons).

:smile:
Original post by James A
Remember this mnemonic.

OIL RIG

Oxidation Is Loss (of electrons), Reduction Is Gain (of electrons).

:smile:

Yes thank you I use that but I mean is the going up going down of numbers I wrote right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right. When an atom/compound/molecule loses electrons, it is oxidised. E.g +1 -----> +2. That would mean 1 electron was lost by the atom/compound/molecule

When an atom/compound/molecule gains electrons, It is reduced. E.g 0 -----------> -3. That would mean that the atom/compound/molecule gained 3 electrons.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes thank you I use that but I mean is the going up going down of numbers I wrote right?

Yeah it is.

Just remember that an electron carries a negative charge (-1), so if you remove an electron (oxidation) then the number will increase on the atom that you are looking at.

e.g:

Fe(2+) -----------> Fe(3+) + e-
Original post by _NMcC_
Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right. When an atom/compound/molecule loses electrons, it is oxidised. E.g +1 -----> +2. That would mean 1 electron was lost by the atom/compound/molecule

When an atom/compound/molecule gains electrons, It is reduced. E.g 0 -----------> -3. That would mean that the atom/compound/molecule gained 3 electrons.

Thank you :smile:
Who has already done their empa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could someone help me with this question please? Thank you :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeaAndTextbooks

Posted from TSR Mobile

290. 10% reacts so because of the fact the mole ratios that 30cm3 becomes 20cm3 and you have 270 that never reacted

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeaAndTextbooks

Posted from TSR Mobile

As only 10% is decomposed 270cm3 of ozone is left.
30cm is converted to oxygen. In same temperature and pressure gases of same number of moles occupy the same volume. Ozone:redface:xygen are in 3:2 ratio so you multiply 30cm3 by 2/3, which gives 20cm3
Add the volume of ozone left and it is 290cm3

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's so helpful thanks alot!! My teacher spent ages explaining this to me, but you just made it alot easier :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello :smile: does anyone know where i can find old edexcel chemistry mark schemes? like june 2004 and such
Reply 2399
when does AQA not want as level chemistry unit 1students to talk about VDW IMF in bonding and structure questions !? im lossigng marks by talking about intermolecular forces i bonding questions and i havent a clue why! please help!!

Quick Reply

Latest