The Student Room Group

OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2014_GCSE
I also did just supply decreasing and quite a few people did. The answers for this seem to be mixed though? It seems to be ok whatever you did as long as you explained it properly.

Also yeah I did just public good but quite a few people did quasi-public. Similar to the beaches question from a few years ago, you can probably argue either one and get full marks.

And I did a positive externalities diagram, yes. :smile:

Nice one, didn't know they were called positive externalities diagram - you mean the one with MPC/MSB exc?...

I was tempted to move demand on the second Q but it made no sense in reference to the case study.

And yeah that's why I thought aswell, overall I thought it was a very nice paper barring the significance of PES.
Is anyone going to post an unofficial mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RussMo124
Yo first post on here, registered to talk about these exams and my politics. Few questions:

In the second question, am I alright with just supply decreasing?

Did anyone mention quasi-public good in the public good Q?

And finally did anyone put in a merit-good cost benefit diagram in the essay question? To show where positive externalities came from...

Yes to all :biggrin:
You don't have to have a MPB diagram.. it's not even in the Colin Bamford OCR book
Couldn't you shift Supply (left) or Demand (right) for the 2nd question, and referred back to it?
Trust me! Grade boundaries for this year is going to be low. Cuz all my friends were bear confused about it the questions.
Finally, question 5. That was about the determinants of PED right? I wrote about the necessity of the product and the % proportion of income it takes up... Is that alright?
Original post by Rk2k14
Couldn't you shift Supply (left) or Demand (right) for the 2nd question, and referred back to it?

We seem to be getting mixed responses from everyone, some say shift supply to the left and some say shift demand to the right. Personally i did a shift to the left of supply. I think the explanation will play a key role marks for this question
Finally, question 5. That was about the determinants of PED right? I wrote about the necessity of the product and the % proportion of income it takes up... Is that alright?

I've heard some say determinants of demand and others say determinants of PED... Either way I put time and income
Reply 1709

If you explained these two then yes, I don't see why that would be wrong. The question was referring to determinants of PED, contrary to what many people on here are saying.
Nice one, didn't know they were called positive externalities diagram - you mean the one with MPC/MSB exc?...

I was tempted to move demand on the second Q but it made no sense in reference to the case study.

And yeah that's why I thought aswell, overall I thought it was a very nice paper barring the significance of PES.

Yep that's the one! and yeah it was actually the last question I did. completely threw me off.
And yeah it was alright. Not the best, not the worst.
Original post by AFG-Gamer
Trust me! Grade boundaries for this year is going to be low. Cuz all my friends were bear confused about it the questions.

Maybe, i am not sure if they are going to be very low though. Just because your friends found it hard. Not trying to hate btw.
Original post by Pato1
You don't have to have a MPB diagram.. it's not even in the Colin Bamford OCR book

Yeah I know, great way to introduce though.
1) Define Market Failure
2) Define positive externalities and where they come from...
3) Say they are entwined with market failure as they arise from merit goods, which are under consumed --> Draw MPB diagram
4) Explain Diagram
5) Go onto subsidies, draw diagram, positives and negatives...
6) Talk about alternatives. E.G. Info provision, state how positives and negatives for this swell.
7) Conclude :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1713
Original post by Rk2k14

There are mixed opinions on this. I'm sure I've seen a question in a past paper where either was acceptable though, so I'm hoping that's the case here. I shifted supply left and explained it based on that.
Reply 1714
for the essay did we have to compare other methods of correcting market failure or just talk about subsidies?
I thought this exam went well until I saw this forum...
Original post by A level sufferer
Is anyone going to post an unofficial mark scheme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were making one but when someone posted the link it all kept on getting deleted. Should have one done by this evening though
it's subsidy, i knew itttt
Did anyone talk about demand for agricultural goods being inelastic and therefore if supply shifts left price will rise significantly
Original post by luceds
for the essay did we have to compare other methods of correcting market failure or just talk about subsidies?

I don't know how you would get more than 10 marks for talking solely about subsidies, i am sure you would have to mention alternatives with there diagrams and advantages and disadvantages etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending