The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1

Scroll to see replies

did anyone talk about trade blocs in question 9b?
Reply 41
Thanks guys although I messed up that q lol

But I don't understand why ppl are upset at the lack of case studies.

Like seriously, just look through the mark schemes and you'll see they don't matter much
Original post by sxxxxt
I spoke about UK and Spain

Polish migrants helped UK tackle the ageing population as 80% of migrants were 34 or younger. This contrasts against Spain who now have an ageing population (demographic model)

Political issues - Spain natives accuse migrates of not integrating. Polish migration has led to an increase of parties such as UKIP who want an EU refrendum. However, I also wrote that Polish migration in contrast to Spain, has led to positive impacts such as increased attendance in Catholic churches and increased number of hybrid cultures and food in the Midlands.

Mentioned some other smaller points too. But they were my two main points/ideas.

awesome haha I thought I was the only one who did question 10 as I found it the best
Reply 43
I talked about Poland and India.
These were the points I made:
Migration from Poland the the UK
- positive - consumers of goods and services e.g Tesco sells over 100 different lines of Polish products, this provides us with a more diverse society and helps boost our economy
negative - rising house prices and social costs, referring to Cornwall

Migration from India to the UK
- positive - they will gaps in the job market and prevent labour shortages, they are also considered to be very hard working and provide reasonably priced labour
- negative - the UK and India have very different cultures, I talked about the cultural diversity between the two regions and the social problems that could arise if migrants failed to integrate.

Spain and Poland were obviously our compulsory case studies for this but I found it hard to link my points to Spain so decided to use the figure and India instead.
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
I thought it was good part b was to ask tall about Spain and the UK? For Poland to UK and UK to Spain

yes thats what i did! but i was so rushed for time!!
Original post by Manexopi
What was the question about the south African farmers? Like what should they do?
An why are there droughts in Cali?

For droughts I said they experience high pressure and anticyclones and La Niña events exaggerate these conditions and also they get Santa Ana winds bringing desert air.
For South Africa I said that they could grow more fruits which thrive in warmer climates such as bananas and that they could adapt their crops to be either halophytic or xerophytic for the rainfall changes
Reply 46
For the question about physical factors that cause drought in California is ENSO (i.e. La Niña) a physical factor? I'd say that it's more to do with meteorology, so I avoided mentioning it (I wrote about Santa Ana winds being channeled through the mountains mountains being the physical feature... And the relative lack of lakes/water sources, although that's unlikely to get a mark).

For section B I did question 8, and talked about containerisation, increase in population (∴ more livestock needed more methane released), China's growing middle class (∴ more cars more greenhouse gases emitted) etc. but would've liked more time.

Overall I think it was a good exam; would've liked more case study specific questions, as most people are saying.
what were the reasons for there being more 0-5 year olds?
Reply 48
Original post by OL350
I talked about Poland and India.
These were the points I made:
Migration from Poland the the UK
- positive - consumers of goods and services e.g Tesco sells over 100 different lines of Polish products, this provides us with a more diverse society and helps boost our economy
negative - rising house prices and social costs, referring to Cornwall

Migration from India to the UK
- positive - they will gaps in the job market and prevent labour shortages, they are also considered to be very hard working and provide reasonably priced labour
- negative - the UK and India have very different cultures, I talked about the cultural diversity
between the two regions and the social problems that could arise if migrants failed to integrate.

Spain and Poland were obviously our compulsory case studies for this but I found it hard to link my points to Spain so decided to use the figure and India instead.

Original post by OrdinaryStudent
awesome haha I thought I was the only one who did question 10 as I found it the best

I'm guessing you talked about points similar to these? ^
Reply 49
Original post by beachelsea

Internal growth is increasing ever so slightly due to more migrants entering the country and giving birth.
Reply 50

-Political policies (e.g. increased paid maternity leave).
-Increasing total population, more at lower age groups.

I just put that there may have been a lack of babies born in 2001 because it was just after the Cold War so less children would be born and there may have been a baby boom in 2011 because people were feeling more prosperous?? Do you think this would e correct??
Original post by ombtom
-Political policies (e.g. increased paid maternity leave).
-Increasing total population, more at lower age groups.

oh damn i only mentioned that more immigrant women are going which increases birth rate! found that and the question about south african farmers the trickiest
Reply 53
Hey Guys, what did you write for the 9a (essay Q) ?
Original post by Lucas007
Hey Guys, what did you write for the 9a (essay Q) ?

i basically did a paragraph on each point from the figure and talked about how that creates different connectedness between nations, and used some figures from the case studies on globalization
Reply 55
oh kl, i mainly talked about China and Iceland cause they had very different inernet and population movement stuff..
what do you think ?
Anyone else do q7?
And what did everyone put for the question on environmentally friendly products (except buying locally)?
For the iHUB i put: Job oppurtunites, buying+selling goods, Transfer of ideas, sharing of information, communication. think it was a 5 marker.
Original post by OL350
What did everyone put for question 10?

Part A i just went through the figure and gave some reasons why it might be like that eg. EU allows free movement of people from Poland, India is a commonwealth nation, already many foreign communities in the UK making it easier to integrate.

Part B I compared Polish people migrating to the UK for work, and people from the UK retiring and going to spain for favourable weather conditions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending