The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Exeter or Bristol?

Hey - there's been a thread on this before but I found the information a bit outdated and lacking in detail.

I'm stuck between choosing Exeter and Bristol for Ancient History. Exeter's offer is AAA, Bristol's is AAB.

I see Bristol as a city with more sociable accommodation and a general party atmosphere, which I'm rooting for, whereas Exeter is less nightlife-based but offers a better course in the Classics department. Exeter has more modern accommodation and facilities but Bristol's look more fun (with music rooms, JCRs, bars) - whilst Exeter's self-catered doesn't have much of a community (can someone disprove this?).

Can anyone help me decide?

My main problem is, if I miss out on Exeter's offer, I will end up in bad accommodation at Bristol. Does anyone know if Exeter are lenient with grades?

Cheers

Vel
Unless anyone knows in advance what all the A level results are, then predicting who might get in as a 'near miss' is an impossible question to answer. It all depends on how many other people fulfill their offers - and if the Uni decides to go for original grade requirements from people in Adjustment or if they decide to accept near misses to fill any empty spaces.

Instead of trying to work out the impossible, then you need to go back to two basic questions :
1) Which course will hold the most interest for you for 3 years? (Interest = enthusiasm for study = (usually) better degree result).
2) Realistically, what grades am you likely to get? (Be very honest with yourself on this one - if you kid yourself then it could be highly embarrassing/disappointing on Results Day. They is no point in going Firm on an offer you already realise is totally outside your league.)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I am literally in the exact same situation, I'm looking to do Politics and Sociology and my offer from Exeter is 32 and Bristol 31 (I do IB). I've visited both uni's and at first I was set on going to Exeter because like you said the accommodation and campus in general is a lot nicer. But overall I think Bristol has a lot more going on and is a lot better night-life wise which is definitely important for me, for 3 years I think I would get bored at Exeter.

If you're worried about getting bad accommodation at Bristol, I think they assign accommodation after all the offers are set not on a first come first serve basis so I wouldn't worry about that. Also I know people that have gone to Exeter and missed their grade but still got in, I guess it just depends on your course. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by KerraP
I am literally in the exact same situation, I'm looking to do Politics and Sociology and my offer from Exeter is 32 and Bristol 31 (I do IB). I've visited both uni's and at first I was set on going to Exeter because like you said the accommodation and campus in general is a lot nicer. But overall I think Bristol has a lot more going on and is a lot better night-life wise which is definitely important for me, for 3 years I think I would get bored at Exeter.

If you're worried about getting bad accommodation at Bristol, I think they assign accommodation after all the offers are set not on a first come first serve basis so I wouldn't worry about that. Also I know people that have gone to Exeter and missed their grade but still got in, I guess it just depends on your course. Hope this helps!

While I really do love Bristol University, I think i need to point out some of their more unfair accommodation policies.

While i am uncertain when this policy will come into act (I believe it's for people starting in 2016, so it probably doesn't apply to this thread). Because of an accommodation shortage, Bristol University will soon only guarantee accommodation for students who have firmed Bristol as their first choice.

Even now, students who haven't firmed Bristol don't get to pick accommodation until August (while firmers are allowed to pick from July), this unfortunately does mean there is a first come first served basis. :frown:
Even if this is true, are you really going to choose a University on the basis of the accommodation - which you will live in for only 9 months?

Is this really all a degree is about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending