The Student Room Group

Oxford Student: "If you’re not at Oxbridge, you’re wasting your time"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by carmex
You're right. According to your link, the California Institute of Technology (32 Nobel Prizes for a school with only 1,000 undergraduates) is also better than either Ox or Bridge. My bad.

That's fine, ignore the facts. Your prerogative.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Isn't this true though?

People who go to low unis especially polys don't end up anywhere and barely even achieve anything in their life.

It is better to not go to university than to go to a poly or anything outside of the top5/6 UK:

inc Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE/Warwick

I agree that there are low unis but to say top 5 or nothing is cringey. Low uni does not mean outisde top 5. Low is freaking TVU or Manchester Met or Wolverhampton (soz).

Imho all top 20 unis give you a decent chance to a bright future, it depends on you to take it. To say someone at KCL or Edinburgh wasted their time going there is... just don't.

*no I'm not butthurt
Original post by SiminaM
I agree that there are low unis but to say top 5 or nothing is cringey. Low uni does not mean outisde top 5. Low is freaking TVU or Manchester Met or Wolverhampton (soz).

Imho all top 20 unis give you a decent chance to a bright future, it depends on you to take it. To say someone at KCL or Edinburgh wasted their time going there is... just don't.

*no I'm not butthurt

Posted from TSR Mobile

SiminaM!Your back! TSR missed you! :wink:.
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

SiminaM!Your back! TSR missed you! :wink:.

Really? Awwww :*

Why do I have the impression most people on tsr dislike me? :s-smilie:
Original post by SiminaM
Really? Awwww :*

Why do I have the impression most people on tsr dislike me? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No,most of tsr likes you.There was even a thread made called where's SiminaM?
It's only misogynistic douchebags and fundamentalists that dislike you.
Reply 25
^ Someone likes Simina... More than usual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
inb4 STEM courses are only worth it.
an Oxford student

:hahaha:

woot

by the time these Oxford aesthetes have finished brushing their teddy bears, waxing their eyebrows, and rinsing the champagne stains from their silk peignoirs, the Cambridge chaps will have rowed twelve miles, eaten raw porridge for breakfast, rung a full change on the College bells and come up with a possible proof of RH.
Its satire, and I found it pretty funny. It has roots in the truth but exaggerates things to a great degree.
Original post by Okorange
Its satire, and I found it pretty funny. It has roots in the truth but exaggerates things to a great degree.

Thank you, that's how I read it.

Is it not obvious that he's kidding when he says "ALL Oxford students do x or y" or "Everyone at Oxbridge will be rich and famous [paraphrasing]"?
Original post by SiminaM

*no I'm not butthurt

You get the fair few that never matriculated citing Branson etc. but anyone with any sense wouldn't bother wasting time at these lesser unis, I have not heard of anyone who went to these lesser unis who made it per se.

I never said you were :smile:
Brian Cox lectures at Manchester.

Furthermore there's no indication that a degree from Oxbridge is actually 'harder', their facilities are better.

Go for what suits you, for instance, I wouldn't go to Oxford in a million years, they don't have the course I want.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
You get the fair few that never matriculated citing Branson etc. but anyone with any sense wouldn't bother wasting time at these lesser unis, I have not heard of anyone who went to these lesser unis who made it per se.

I never said you were :smile:

I've heard of people with great achievements who graduated from KCL, Edinburgh and Manchester. Maybe you haven't heard because you didn't even bother to search.
And for ex, the new course of psychology at KCL is under the control of a professor who was at Cambridge for 15 years and left. He said that in his opinion, only Harvard is better in that field.
I said that because I sensed the 'you are at a crap uni and that's why you said this' comments coming
(edited 8 years ago)
Oxbridge doesn't cover all courses either so if someone wanted to do something like dentistry I don't think they could go to either anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SiminaM
I've heard of people with great achievements who graduated from KCL, Edinburgh and Manchester. Maybe you haven't heard because you didn't even bother to search.

I said that because I sensed the 'you are at a crap uni and that's why you said this' comments coming

kthnxbye
Reply 36
Original post by frances98
Oxbridge doesn't cover all courses either so if someone wanted to do something like dentistry I don't think they could go to either anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly I was looking for business management when applying but neither Oxford or Cambridge offered this. I probably wouldn't have received an offer from them but they didn't have my course unlike other uni's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
well he does have a point sorry
Reply 38
"We are better people because we go to a college which has more money and sit tougher exams. Everyone but us is wasting their time at university".

2/10. Must try harder.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WhisperingTide
Brian Cox lectures at Manchester.

Furthermore there's no indication that a degree from Oxbridge is actually 'harder', their facilities are better.

Go for what suits you, for instance, I wouldn't go to Oxford in a million years, they don't have the course I want.

Which is why Manchester is ranked 10 places lower than it otherwise would be.

His smile makes me sick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending