The Student Room Group

Can i get into Trinity college dublin with..

Can i get into Trinity College Dublin with Btec. If so Do you think would I be able to get in with Btec Level 3 IT for computer science course

Currently doing Btec Level 3 IT i think ill get DDD
Reply 1
Unfortunately they dont accept BTEC however with DDD grades you would be able to get into a much better university in England, I got D*D*D* in the IT Extended and amm now studying Computer Science however most of my offers were DDD
TRY OXFORD (brookes)
Original post by yt7777
Unfortunately they dont accept BTEC however with DDD grades you would be able to get into a much better university in England, I got D*D*D* in the IT Extended and amm now studying Computer Science however most of my offers were DDD

Please, enlighten me about these 'much better' English universities that accept BTECs. TCD is, essentially, Ireland's Oxbridge equivalent - A*AA won't even get people in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
Please, enlighten me about these 'much better' English universities that accept BTECs. TCD is, essentially, Ireland's Oxbridge equivalent - A*AA won't even get people in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I didn't realise that, I couldn't find their entry requirements page.

EDIT: I found it, it seems they work on a points system, different courses vary quite a lot though, from like 300 up to the 500's, for Computer Science they require 460 which is AAAB from 4 A levels, the BTEC has a maximum of 420 but isn't mentioned so the OP should provably email them but they would need to get an extra 40 points from somewhere if they were to accept it
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yt7777
Really? I didn't realise that, I couldn't find their entry requirements page.

Yeah, they don't interview people or have 'entry requirements' as such. Everyone applies with their equivalent of UCAS points (solely based on grades) and they basically start at the top of the pile (people with the highest points achieved) and go down until they have enough students to fill their places. This threshold becomes the de facto minimum required to get in, but it's all relative to how well the next years cohort do.

The entry reqs are usually just subject choices (like A2 Maths being required for CS).

It's a brutal selection process.
Reply 6
Yeah, they don't interview people or have 'entry requirements' as such. Everyone applies with their equivalent of UCAS points (solely based on grades) and they basically start at the top of the pile (people with the highest points achieved) and go down until they have enough students to fill their places. This threshold becomes the de facto minimum required to get in, but it's all relative to how well the next years cohort do.

The entry reqs are usually just subject choices (like A2 Maths being required for CS).

It's a brutal selection process.

Wow that seems harsh, I guess the OP would have to email them to query it as the BTEC Extended holds a maximum of 420 and they require 460 for Computer Science and I guess the extra 40 required points would have to come from maths or (providing they accept the BTEC in IT) the OP could get DDD and try and get a B in maths A level and that would meet the 460
Original post by yt7777
Wow that seems harsh, I guess the OP would have to email them to query it as the BTEC Extended holds a maximum of 420 and they require 460 for Computer Science and I guess the extra 40 required points would have to come from maths or (providing they accept the BTEC in IT) the OP could get DDD and try and get a B in maths A level and that would meet the 460

It's a different points system called the CAO points system. I'm fairly certain that BTECs aren't accepted by TCD - A-Levels/IB/Highers are it seems.
Reply 8
It's a different points system called the CAO points system. I'm fairly certain that BTECs aren't accepted by TCD - A-Levels/IB/Highers are it seems.

Yeah it looked different, everything seems to be worth more like an A* is worth 150 points

It doesn't mention BTEC requirements however it does say they accept Vocational qualifications with the exception of NVQs and something else, I guess the OP would be best off emailing them
Depends on the person, but I'd say the Irish system is more appropriate. You do 6-7 subjects and the points are basically percentages. If you do Higher Level, 75-79% is a B2, which is 80 points, 65-69% is a C1 which is 70 points. Specific subjects don't matter at all pretty much - you only need to get somewhere around 55%+ in maths to do CS. To get into Trinity, which as noted previously, is an Irish Oxbridge equivalent (top 100 worldwide in CS, 26th in Europe Overall), they take in your overall knowledge rather than focusing on 2-3 specific subjects. The maximum is 625 points (best 6 are counted, and then extra 25 points are given if you do Higher level Maths). The admission process is fairly brutal, yes, and the requirements can change rapidly - anywhere from BCC to AAB - isn't unheard of. It's a fairly complicated system if you plan to do medicine though, you'd need to get like 100% in about 9 subjects just to reach the minimum requirements.

As for OP, I think that admission is very unlikely, though it wouldn't hurt to try to contact them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending