The Student Room Group

English Literature - A View from the Bridge and Of Mice and Men / STRUCTURE

Hi guys, just wondering how would you structure your paragraphing for the exam. If you have any tips on how to write your answers.
Reply 1
I would do a short intro, then 3-5 PEE's depending on the quality and time you have, then a medium sized (4-5 lines) ending.
For AVFTB;
Intro, why it is important what has just happened, what happens next
PEDAL;
Point - answer the question
Evidence
Dramatic Devices
Analysis - how do the dramatic devices link to the q? why has Miller used them?
Language

For OMAM;
Same intro
PELEC
Point
Evidence
Language
Explanation
Context
Link to another part of the novel

I write about 4 main paragraphs + intro
Reply 3
Shouldn't there be context in AVFTB as well though? Like women weren't treated equally blah blah etc..?

Also, what are your predictions for OMAM and AVFTB?
Original post by chrisbpw
Shouldn't there be context in AVFTB as well though? Like women weren't treated equally blah blah etc..?

Also, what are your predictions for OMAM and AVFTB?

My teacher said you can slot a line or two in but it isn't an AO, might just put a little bit in to be safe

OMAM Curley, AVFTB Alfieri, hopefully they're similar to this
Reply 5
What about predictions for themes? If loneliness and power come up imma ace this b**** :biggrin:
What about predictions for themes? If loneliness and power come up imma ace this b**** :biggrin:

So am I
Hopefully they do, we've focussed so much on them
Hopefully love or jealousy will come up in AVFTB, or the law

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
If power comes up, can I talk about the lack of power shown through some characters?
If power comes up, can I talk about the lack of power shown through some characters?

I'd do that
And things like other characters bowing to power shown by other characters
My teacher said try to find an alternative interpretation of the question because examiners like that apparently

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Yeah, one of my problems was answering the question from one point of view, apparently it's best to explore a wide range of opinions etc... what do you reckon??
Yeah, one of my problems was answering the question from one point of view, apparently it's best to explore a wide range of opinions etc... what do you reckon??

I've always set one track and gone with it, but looking over my essays I've done in the past the points seem to cover a wide range of view points, if you can I'd try to do it but I'd focus on answering the question the best you can to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we talk about part a and b separately or can we combine them into one paragraph?
Original post by Palette
Do we talk about part a and b separately or can we combine them into one paragraph?

Which board are you on?
I'm on OCR and our teacher has warned us they're two separate questions, and talking about both might not help you get your point across etc. But in OMAM she's said to refer outside of the extract
Original post by JessThomas6
Which board are you on?
I'm on OCR and our teacher has warned us they're two separate questions, and talking about both might not help you get your point across etc. But in OMAM she's said to refer outside of the extract

My board is AQA.
:s-smilie:Oh right, I'm not sure then, sorry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending