The Student Room Group

Latin as 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tilly5798
I am so scared for this exam- i'm scared it will all go wrong ._.

Do you know the text? If so, there's nothing they can ask you that you don't know! :smile:

Original post by Sophleah
Do you translate 'imperator' as general or commander when talking about Pompey??

I used both unconsciously but yeah as she said either should be fine , anything but emperor xD
Kind of- i know the storylines for each but i can't translate them fully ._.
I translated all of Ovid and Cicero and did a word count on it.
Does anything else think that it's ridiculous that there are over 5300 words (in English) that we have to remember, practically off by heart, and then they only quiz us on less than 100 words?

How did you prepare for 10 mark questions? Our teacher has given us no help except for 'just learn the text off by heart and you'll be fine!' yeah... right.. I don't feel fine! Did you ahve like 'model answers' to learn or something? I'm totally petrified as I have no idea what will come up!

Oh and in the final section of Cicero, he refers to the news being received at Pontus "Abuot that battle which I had begun to remind you of a short time ago" What battle is he talking about?! He talks about Mithridates and Tigranes - but he doesn't mention them anywhere else in the text! Help please!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daedalys
I translated all of Ovid and Cicero and did a word count on it.
Does anything else think that it's ridiculous that there are over 5300 words (in English) that we have to remember, practically off by heart, and then they only quiz us on less than 100 words?

How did you prepare for 10 mark questions? Our teacher has given us no help except for 'just learn the text off by heart and you'll be fine!' yeah... right.. I don't feel fine! Did you ahve like 'model answers' to learn or something? I'm totally petrified as I have no idea what will come up!

Oh and in the final section of Cicero, he refers to the news being received at Pontus "Abuot that battle which I had begun to remind you of a short time ago" What battle is he talking about?! He talks about Mithridates and Tigranes - but he doesn't mention them anywhere else in the text! Help please!

I think you'll be fine too! Just don't panic :smile: They can't ask you anything you don't know, remember that.

And that's a good point.. I feel like my teacher just told me, but I forgot ._.
Original post by tilly5798
Kind of- i know the storylines for each but i can't translate them fully ._.

Well at least you'll be absolutely fine on all the other questions, for the translation, just make out the words you know and try to go from there
Any predictions for the Cicero chapters?
Original post by itismeyay
Any predictions for the Cicero chapters?

No, we're the first in the cycle so absolutely anything could come up.
Any predictions for 10 markers??
Original post by Sophleah
Any predictions for 10 markers??

Well for Cicero, his speech is really based on pretty much one thing - showing why Pompey is so great. So this should be maybe easier than the Ovid 10 marker. But no, no predictions. Nothing has come up yet, since we are the first for these texts, so we don't know what probably wont come up.
OMG guys what did you think of that?! My 10 mark essays were terrible - they were so short!
What war was Lucius Sulla referring to? I had no idea and just guessed Slave War! I had no idea! Thank god that's over!
Reply 150
OMG guys what did you think of that?! My 10 mark essays were terrible - they were so short!
What war was Lucius Sulla referring to? I had no idea and just guessed Slave War! I had no idea! Thank god that's over!

Do u reckon this was a harder exam compared to the ones before? Because ive looked at the grade boundaries for past exams and most of them were quite high...
(edited 8 years ago)

I didn't have enough time to write all I wanted to for the 10 markers... no full marks on those for me, but I did what I could so I'm okay with it :smile:
The Lucius Sulla question, I didn't remember right away and left it till the end to answer, but as I was rushing my essays I forgot to do that. He was referring to the civil war. Don't worry though it was one mark!

Original post by klunky
Do u reckon this was a harder exam compared to the ones before? Because ive looked at the grade boundaries for past exams and most of them were quite high...

I honestly think this was a pretty good paper, but it is the first of the cycle so maybe people won't do as well?
What were the grade boundaries you found?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 152
SO glad that's over :smile: thought the essays were okay but they chose some tricky sections for language analysis...
I think the sections they asked us to translate weren't the nicest - it took me a while to recognise the section they told me to translate. But I was trying to find stylistic features to comment on, and Cicero ALWAYS has Tricolons everywhere adn there wasn't a single one! I struggled so much in commenting on style, what did you guys talk about?
I think the sections they asked us to translate weren't the nicest - it took me a while to recognise the section they told me to translate. But I was trying to find stylistic features to comment on, and Cicero ALWAYS has Tricolons everywhere adn there wasn't a single one! I struggled so much in commenting on style, what did you guys talk about?

In the 8 marker for Cicero? It was something like... the ways in which Cicero shows his respect for Pompey? Talking about that one?
Yeah - those 8 marks questions really threw me.
When he was talking about respect for Pompey I just sorta babbled, I can't even remember what I said, except for how he listed his wars and said how he also concluded them and such.
Can you rememebr what the eight mark Ovids were? It was... about the boat stopping still in the sea right? I just kept going on about visualising the sailors and the ivy vines being like snakes - my brain completely shut down on that one!
What did you do?
Yeah - those 8 marks questions really threw me.
When he was talking about respect for Pompey I just sorta babbled, I can't even remember what I said, except for how he listed his wars and said how he also concluded them and such.
Can you rememebr what the eight mark Ovids were? It was... about the boat stopping still in the sea right? I just kept going on about visualising the sailors and the ivy vines being like snakes - my brain completely shut down on that one!
What did you do?

For the first 8 marks, I remember my points were like... let me look up the text XD I'll post what I put in a bit.
I didn't get to finish the 10 marks :frown: If I only I had a little extra time @_@

And as I remember,
1sr Ovid 8 marks - how does Ovid highlight Pentheus' stubbornness and determination (text about his family restraining him and the river simile)
2nd Ovid 8 marks - how does Ovid make the scene tense and dramatic (text about Acoetes swearing on the god that he was telling the truth)

I might have gotten these mixed up with the 6 marks though.. what do you remember?
(edited 8 years ago)
"quod denique genus esse belli potest, in quo illum non exercuerit fortuna rei publicae? civile, Africanum, Transalpinum, Hispaniense, servile, navale bellum, varia et diversa genera et bellorum et hostium, non solum gesta ab hoc uno, sed etiam confecta, nullam rem esse declarant in usu positam militari, quae huius viri scientiam fugere possit."

I think that was the section of text. (28)
How does Cicero by the style of his writing show his respect for Pompey (or something like that xD)

- He asks a rhetorical question to the audience
- He lists an impressive amount of types of wars which Pompey has tackled
- Contrast between that whole list and him alone (uno)

can't quite remember my last point but it was probably something to do with the last line, Cicero's confidence in the fact that Pompey knows everything to do with wars.
Got my text now!
For the 1st Ovid on - stubborn determination... I said how he was going against his family, who were the only people who looked out for him and wanted what was best for him. I described 'acrior' which I think is a comparitive and meant fiercer, and how it was in an emphatic position at the start of the line and showed how not only was their attempt to stop him 'frustra' in vain, but it actually made him worse. Then rambled on about the river simile, how it was quite apt, as the rocks 'saxa' represented his family members trying to stop him, but he only became fiercer like the river which was foaming and raging. Might have said some more about emphatic positions but I can't remember, but that was the gist of it.

For the 2nd - I mentioned how it was instantly dramatic as Acoetes begs Pentheus to believe him, though it is unbelievable. I kept talking about how impossible it was that a ship would stop still in the sea, how you could visualise them panicking and unfurling the sails, making it dramatic. It was tense as no one knows what's happening. Then the vines come in, and I said there was sibilance in the line, reinforcing the snake idea, and the word serpentes means 'coiling' and is like a snake. And the fact that ivy isn't meant to move, but it as does it is dramatic, and Bacchus himself is being dramatic in his punishment of the sailors. I forced the sibilance and an enclosing order in there too but I can't remember where the enclosing order is as it's not in my notes! Think I made it up!

What else was there to put? I bet there were obvious things I missed!
Got my text now!
For the 1st Ovid on - stubborn determination... I said how he was going against his family, who were the only people who looked out for him and wanted what was best for him. I described 'acrior' which I think is a comparitive and meant fiercer, and how it was in an emphatic position at the start of the line and showed how not only was their attempt to stop him 'frustra' in vain, but it actually made him worse. Then rambled on about the river simile, how it was quite apt, as the rocks 'saxa' represented his family members trying to stop him, but he only became fiercer like the river which was foaming and raging. Might have said some more about emphatic positions but I can't remember, but that was the gist of it.

For the 2nd - I mentioned how it was instantly dramatic as Acoetes begs Pentheus to believe him, though it is unbelievable. I kept talking about how impossible it was that a ship would stop still in the sea, how you could visualise them panicking and unfurling the sails, making it dramatic. It was tense as no one knows what's happening. Then the vines come in, and I said there was sibilance in the line, reinforcing the snake idea, and the word serpentes means 'coiling' and is like a snake. And the fact that ivy isn't meant to move, but it as does it is dramatic, and Bacchus himself is being dramatic in his punishment of the sailors. I forced the sibilance and an enclosing order in there too but I can't remember where the enclosing order is as it's not in my notes! Think I made it up!

What else was there to put? I bet there were obvious things I missed!

Honestly I spent too much time on the Cicero so I rushed the Ovid... like.. a lot :')

Mhmm... the first one
- anaphora of "hunc" you know how it goes hunc avus, hunc Athamas blah blah blah. I said that was emphasis on how so many people scolded him alone yet he persisted
- fierce sounds / alliteration of "acrior admonitu" highlights his anger or whatever
- how he compares a blocked river having more vigour when it is blocked to Pentheus, being more determined the more hindered he is
- tricolon of "spumeus et fervens et ab obice saevior" these 3 things convey the same meaning, the repetition just adds emphasis

second one - really at this point I was writing whatever I could make up
- his remark on how Dionysus is the most powerful god, and him swearing on that makes the audience tense with anticipation on what needs so much confirmation
- his need to mention that these things are true means that the things he was about to say were unbelievable or supernatural - dramatic
- stetit aequore puppis - short syllables makes the story seem fast paced, again dramatic
- as if a shipyard were holding it dry, obviously not normal. This preludes more dramatic stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending