The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Geography SDME 19/05/15

Thread for the OCR GCSE Geography SDME on 19/05/15

Good luck!:u:

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone offer any tips on how to answer the 16 mark question on the same paper please. .. i always struggle.
Original post by rachelherbert
Can anyone offer any tips on how to answer the 16 mark question on the same paper please. .. i always struggle.

I always struggle on the 16 mark question too, I usually try to develop each point as much as possible.
Reply 3
It's likely to be on three types of aid and choosing one of them. I would just make sure you read through the whole resource booklet and make sure you understand each aid type so that you can make a choice on which one to implement in the given location for example.
But you should have lots of time and remember there is no wrong answer as long as you justify your choice
Reply 4
Having said that, there will be an obvious wrong answer
Any good tips on answering the 16 mark question. My teacher said to double develop
what are you guys revising?
To do the 16 marker, I follow these acronyms to remember how to answer it:
D-Decision
A-Advantages
S-Stakeholders
S-Sustainability
D-Disadvantages
R-Rejection
D-Disadvantages
A-Advantages
F-Final Decision
(This one is the hardest to remember, but I remember it by saying Dr. Pepper)

I also use PEEL:
P-Point
E-Evidence
E-Explanation
L-Link

With SEED:
S-Social
E-Economic
E-Environmental
D-Diplomatic

My geography teacher used to help on the exam board to mark papers, and said that they don't consider giving the answer more than 10 marks if they haven't gone over the points above(A to A*)

Hope it helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Wonder if anyone can help- I missed the last 6 weeks of school due to having 2 emergency surgeries and so missed absolutely all preparation for the decision making task and I'm so nervous for the exam tomorrow!
Reply 9
What do I need to revise I have no idea
Do we need to know case studies as I haven't learnt any? We done a mock sdme paper in class last week and I got a D but I don't know how to improve as you can't revise. Any tips?
For the 16 marker I got taught this:
SOCIAL - Why you picked
ECONOMIC - Why you picked
ENVIRONMENTAL - Why you picked
One possible problem of your option
Why you didn't pick other option
Why you didn't pick the other other option
[Stakeholders if they ask for it and other stuff they may ask for here]

Sometimes they only say to speak about Social and Environmental advantages, for example, so you'd skip the Economic why you picked that option in that case.

As always in Geography, remember to develop points to death
Make a point, develop it and then develop it again.

For instance:

An increase of tourism in Benidorm is benefiting the area. This is because an increase of tourism means that more money is being spent on that area which in turn increases the areas economy allowing money to be spent on the area benefiting the residents.
Reply 13
This is my First SDME we have had no mocks :frown: any tips and can someone tell me how like it is laid out + what might come up
Reply 14
Would they ask about FARM-Africa? do i need to know the 4 projects
Reply 15
Don't need to know case studies for the SDME! Just use the resources (usually out of 3) and your common sense and knowledge to pick a suitable one and then fully develop your ideas - make sure to talk about the sustainability (economic, environmental, social) and disadvantages and advantages. Also make sure to look back to the question to ensure you've answered all of the required bullet points it asks u to do! Good luck, you'll be fine!
Original post by mahmzo
This is my First SDME we have had no mocks :frown: any tips and can someone tell me how like it is laid out + what might come up

Copy and paste from my post above:
For the 16 marker I got taught this:
SOCIAL - Why you picked
ECONOMIC - Why you picked
ENVIRONMENTAL - Why you picked
One possible problem of your option
Why you didn't pick other option
Why you didn't pick the other other option
[Stakeholders if they ask for it and other stuff they may ask for here]

Sometimes they only say to speak about Social and Environmental advantages, for example, so you'd skip the Economic why you picked that option in that case.

As always in Geography, remember to develop points to death
Reply 17
I mean for like example : if they give you 3 types of aid and one of them is goat aid. what are the economical factors ? is it stuff like it would provide a source of food/'milk that will be sold allowing them to have a better QoL the government would also benifit from that bc of taxes etc etc. Also like how manure is rich in nutriets for crops to grow. leading to more income.

How about environmental factors? Help!!! Thanks so much
Original post by rachelherbert

USE THE RESOURCES. Reference them. If doing higher mention all the options and say why they would be better and worse than you chosen one.
I think an environmental factor would be that it produces less waste that can't be recycled. For example, they might ask you to choose between goat and computer aid and computer aid produces lots of electronic waste; goat aid is less damaging.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending