The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4: Physics on the Move 6PH04 (11th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wannabe007
Hopefully I'll be able to master unit 4 within the two week break I have. How would you recommend to prepare for it? Im almost done with all the papers and plan to do them again. Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that as the hardest bit is fields and EM induction you could watch youtube videos about it so you understand it a bit more, then do questions on them. Idk tho, if you have the chance of asking your teacher to explain you stuff you don't understand that would be great. And of course asking on TSR helps.
Original post by Hectors
I think that as the hardest bit is fields and EM induction you could watch youtube videos about it so you understand it a bit more, then do questions on them. Idk tho, if you have the chance of asking your teacher to explain you stuff you don't understand that would be great. And of course asking on TSR helps.

Thanks for the great help. :biggrin: Hope you ace your papers too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wannabe007
Thanks for the great help. :biggrin: Hope you ace your papers too. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now it is just up to edexcel to not set crazy questions
on the same boat as Wannabe007, what are your guys' expectations ? I am hoping to get an A on this paper, but I seem to get around A/B borderline which concerns me a lot
Reply 104
Hi, I'm taking this exam also. Am I the only one here who, when marks his past papers, finds that the marks are given to answers not asked by the question(in qualitative questions)? I don't know if I will have enough time to read between the lines and actually figure out what to put down! This is how I lose most marks, any hints would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S. Isn't it strange that Physics only requires about 80% for an A*, whilst all other subject 90% e.g. Mathematics.
Original post by BenjKl
Hi, I'm taking this exam also. Am I the only one here who, when marks his past papers, finds that the marks are given to answers not asked by the question(in qualitative questions)? I don't know if I will have enough time to read between the lines and actually figure out what to put down! This is how I lose most marks, any hints would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S. Isn't it strange that Physics only requires about 80% for an A*, whilst all other subject 90% e.g. Mathematics.

not at all strange. with maths there is just numbers and equations so not much room for the examiners to trip you up if you know your stuff well. but with physics there are so many wordy and graphy questions that the examiners like to trip you up on and you lose marks if you dont write a specific word. edexcel love it. they love nothing more than confusing students and failing them. they love nothing more than watching intelligent hard working students miss out on their university places. there in no consistency in the edexcel exams and the edexcel examiners are a bunch of w*nkers. death to all of them.
Reply 106
Original post by gideon123
not at all strange. with maths there is just numbers and equations so not much room for the examiners to trip you up if you know your stuff well. but with physics there are so many wordy and graphy questions that the examiners like to trip you up on and you lose marks if you dont write a specific word. edexcel love it. they love nothing more than confusing students and failing them. they love nothing more than watching intelligent hard working students miss out on their university places. there in no consistency in the edexcel exams and the edexcel examiners are a bunch of w*nkers. death to all of them.

How did you do last year? I got a B, almost an A if it wasn't for stupid questions in Unit 2.
Original post by BenjKl
How did you do last year? I got a B, almost an A if it wasn't for stupid questions in Unit 2.

B in AS but C overall
Reply 108
Do most people find Unit 4 harder than 5? I certainly do, I can reach the 60s in most Unit 5 papers now but Unit 4 ones it's a battle to reach even 50.
Original post by jay_em
Do most people find Unit 4 harder than 5? I certainly do, I can reach the 60s in most Unit 5 papers now but Unit 4 ones it's a battle to reach even 50.

yep i feel the same way...unit 4 is by far the hardest unit in the a level and its the struggle of my life
Hi!Can somebody explain the difference between flux cut and flux change?how it is in your mind? e.g. Square coil of wire does not have induce emf even accelerating in the magnetic field, but metal rod has emf even with constant velocity, because it cuts flux; flux does not change, but there is emf induced. Thank you!
Original post by Gumileva
Hi!Can somebody explain the difference between flux cut and flux change?how it is in your mind? e.g. Square coil of wire does not have induce emf even accelerating in the magnetic field, but metal rod has emf even with constant velocity, because it cuts flux; flux does not change, but there is emf induced. Thank you!

i think the amount of flux a conductor cuts is the change in flux..

i think whether or not the conductor (coil of wire, metal rod) accelerates or not matters in producing an induced EMF? as long as it experiences a change in the NBA acting on it, it produces an EMF
Can anyone help me with this question? Question paper June 2013 (R) reserved paper

i don't understand the part about why centripetal force has to be bigger than frictional force for second part
What's the role of the electric and magnetic field in a bubble chamber?
Original post by Hectors
What's the role of the electric and magnetic field in a bubble chamber?

Electric fields cause deflections to which the charge of the particle can be determined depending on it's direction. Magnetic fields cause deflections whereby the momentum and therefore the mass of the particle can be determined.
Part e anyone! I'm really really confused with the whole energy, colliding beam and fixed target kind of area :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iceangel8
Part e anyone! I'm really really confused with the whole energy, colliding beam and fixed target kind of area :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's helpful to remember first of all that any mass of the antiproton and proton that is not converted to the mass of the products is converted to the kinetic energy of the products as mass and energy are interchangeable.

So we know initially the antiproton has an energy of 1GeV and the proton is at rest initially so has no energy, though both have a mass of 940 Mev or 0.94 Gev (I'll work in Gev to make it a bit easier calculation wise). so 0.94 x 2 = 1.88 GeV, adding the energy of the antiproton = 2.88 GeV - so this is the energy available for the mass of the products.

Now for the mass of the products, we know a neutral pion has a mass of 135 MeV/c^2, only one is produced. The mass of a charged pion is 140 Mev/c^2, we have four produced so 140 x 4 = 560 MeV in total. Total mass of products = 135 + 560 = 695 MeV/c^2 converting into GeV to give 0.695 GeV/c^2

so reactants - products, 2.88 - 0.695 = 2.185 or 2.2 GeV to 1 d.p. is available for the kinetic energy of the products. Hope this helps !
Original post by Regina15
It's helpful to remember first of all that any mass of the antiproton and proton that is not converted to the mass of the products is converted to the kinetic energy of the products as mass and energy are interchangeable.

So we know initially the antiproton has an energy of 1GeV and the proton is at rest initially so has no energy, though both have a mass of 940 Mev or 0.94 Gev (I'll work in Gev to make it a bit easier calculation wise). so 0.94 x 2 = 1.88 GeV, adding the energy of the antiproton = 2.88 GeV - so this is the energy available for the mass of the products.

Now for the mass of the products, we know a neutral pion has a mass of 135 MeV/c^2, only one is produced. The mass of a charged pion is 140 Mev/c^2, we have four produced so 140 x 4 = 560 MeV in total. Total mass of products = 135 + 560 = 695 MeV/c^2 converting into GeV to give 0.695 GeV/c^2

so reactants - products, 2.88 - 0.695 = 2.185 or 2.2 GeV to 1 d.p. is available for the kinetic energy of the products. Hope this helps !

Thank you very much I gratefully appreciate this!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iceangel8
Thank you very much I gratefully appreciate this!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a problem!:smile:
In the formula E=V/d -
Is d always the separation between the plates or is d the distance from the point charge between the plates to the positive plate?

And is V the potential difference between the 2 parallel plates or the potential difference between point charge and positive plate?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending