The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

what do we need to learn and memorize for edexcel
Original post by Signorina
How do you find out the relative abundance? Anyone? I kind of understand how to for percentage abundance, but not when it's not percentage!!

The question is m/z 113 and m/z 115. the relative atomic mass is 114.5. whats the relative abundance!!!!!!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432236261.328514.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes thank you i think i get it now
Original post by C0balt
Write out the spdf notation for aluminium
1s2 2s2 2p6 2s2 2p1
Electron is removed from outside to inside, so third, fourth, 10th 11th and 12th and 13th are removal from s orbital

Al2+(g)->Al3+(g)+e-

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just done the edexcel January 2012 paper and i'm confused about a couple of questions in the multiple choice, would anyone be able to help me out? (it's question 13)
The ionic radii in nm of some ions are given below
Li+ 0.074
Ca 2+ 0.100
F- 0.133
Cl- 0.180
O2-0.140
S2- 0.185

Which of the following has the most exothermic lattice energy? They all have the same crystal structure
A - LiF
B - LiCl
C - CaO
D - CaS

The answer is C but I don't understand why, is anyone able to explain?
With the second question i'm in the same situation (its part b of this question)

Which of the following compounds will show the greatest difference between the experimental lattice energy and that calculated from a purely ionic model?
A -LiF
B - Li2O
C - CaO
D - CaS

The answer is D
Original post by itsConnor_
For the second part, as the hydrazine acts as a base, this means it is a proton acceptor (definition), so the N2H4 accepts a H+ ion to form N2H5+.

Not sure how to explain the first part, but the other ion in water is OH-, so I suppose that is what is left when the N2H4 accepts the H+? (sorry for terrible explanation)

Ah okay thank you!! haha no worries, that makes sense!
Saw this on the spec about concentration: http://gyazo.com/501fcf1dd4462f3278dcc8bfdcc630b0
What exactly do I need to know about concentrated vs. dilute?
Reply 2866
does anyone know how to answer this question the relative atomic mass of boron is 10.8, in the sample boron exists as two isotopes 10B and 11B. calculate the percentage abundance of 10B in this sample of boron.....PLEASE HELP!!
Original post by chantellerose
I've just done the edexcel January 2012 paper and i'm confused about a couple of questions in the multiple choice, would anyone be able to help me out? (it's question 13)
The ionic radii in nm of some ions are given below
Li+ 0.074
Ca 2+ 0.100
F- 0.133
Cl- 0.180
O2-0.140
S2- 0.185

Which of the following has the most exothermic lattice energy? They all have the same crystal structure
A - LiF
B - LiCl
C - CaO
D - CaS

The answer is C but I don't understand why, is anyone able to explain?
With the second question i'm in the same situation (its part b of this question)

Which of the following compounds will show the greatest difference between the experimental lattice energy and that calculated from a purely ionic model?
A -LiF
B - Li2O
C - CaO
D - CaS

The answer is D

Lattice energy is more exoteric the more charged and smaller the ions are Ca2+ is doubly charged than Li+ and O2- is smaller than S2-

The difference in experimental and theoretical arise from degree if covalency. The bigger the anion the more prone it is to polarisation. S2- has the biggest ionic radius

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Lattice energy is more exoteric the more charged and smaller the ions are Ca2+ is doubly charged than Li+ and O2- is smaller than S2-

The difference in experimental and theoretical arise from degree if covalency. The bigger the anion the more prone it is to polarisation. S2- has the biggest ionic radius

Posted from TSR Mobile

And ca2+ is smaller

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your help! :smile:
Original post by HToo
does anyone know how to answer this question the relative atomic mass of boron is 10.8, in the sample boron exists as two isotopes 10B and 11B. calculate the percentage abundance of 10B in this sample of boron.....PLEASE HELP!!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432237327.056982.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
And ca2+ is smaller

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah kinda got lazy lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Hahaha thank you :colondollar:

You're welcome. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm confused, so the paper got leaked and now we have a harder one???
For the fellow edexcel chemistry troopers, what do we think is coming up to torture us with ? I'm absolutely petrified of the exam, considering I have been constantly failing this year -do we keep our heads high and hope the paper is doable? or shall I cry now and not in the exam (as I already did that in maths). The multiple choice is devils spawn and don't get me started on Hess's law, as that is clear nonsense in my brain that cannot fathom the arrows and products at all.

Oh well.

Good luck nonetheless !
Original post by Lilieeeeeee
I'm confused, so the paper got leaked and now we have a harder one???

This is the first I've heard of it..I really doubt it bc those rumours were spread for the C2 paper also.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MikaHina
For the fellow edexcel chemistry troopers, what do we think is coming up to torture us with ? I'm absolutely petrified of the exam, considering I have been constantly failing this year -do we keep our heads high and hope the paper is doable? or shall I cry now and not in the exam (as I already did that in maths). The multiple choice is devils spawn and don't get me started on Hess's law, as that is clear nonsense in my brain that cannot fathom the arrows and products at all.

Oh well.

Good luck nonetheless !

I'm petrified too! I have no clue what will come up but I hope its bonding and ionisation energies! they're all i seem to understand
Original post by MikaHina

Oh well.

Good luck nonetheless !

Do not worry, you should just be incredibly positive bc entering with a negative mindset of how possibly hard the paper could be isn't going to help you at all. :smile: You'll be okay- hopefully it won't be too hard and GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO!

Posted from TSR Mobile
how do you draw a functional group isomer of an ALKENE anyone
i draw a cycloalkane for alkanes but idk how to do an alkene

Thank you! Lol you're too good

Quick Reply

Latest