The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Final degree classification

Hi, I'm a bit confused about the overall degree classification. I know 1st year isn't counted, 2nd year makes up 25% without a placement, and 3rd year is 75%.

In the general regulations:
10.2.3 Borderline candidates
a) Candidates who are 0.5% or less below a boundary will be promoted automatically to the higher class.
b) Candidates whose mark falls within a 2.0% band below automatic promotion will be considered for promotion to the higher class.
c) Any candidate who has 50% or more of the 16 eligible units in the higher classification should be promoted automatically.

So by (b), technically if a student's final average is a minimum 67.5%, being 2% below the automatic promotion of 69.5%, they are still eligible for a promotion to the higher class, providing they get at least half of their overall grades in the higher classification? Or does the 2% band stops at 68%?

Original post by flyhigh234
Hi, I'm a bit confused about the overall degree classification. I know 1st year isn't counted, 2nd year makes up 25% without a placement, and 3rd year is 75%.

In the general regulations:
10.2.3 Borderline candidates
a) Candidates who are 0.5% or less below a boundary will be promoted automatically to the higher class.
b) Candidates whose mark falls within a 2.0% band below automatic promotion will be considered for promotion to the higher class.
c) Any candidate who has 50% or more of the 16 eligible units in the higher classification should be promoted automatically.

So by (b), technically if a student's final average is a minimum 67.5%, being 2% below the automatic promotion of 69.5%, they are still eligible for a promotion to the higher class, providing they get at least half of their overall grades in the higher classification? Or does the 2% band stops at 68%?

Hi there,

The mystery of classification regulations can be highly confusing. I believe that C does in fact correlate with the fact that that student also needs to fall into the prior 2% bracket. Without that logic you could technically be awarded a first class mark with an overall of 55%

Take it as you need to fulfill section B to have section C apply to you but let me look into this further for you and ask the people who wrote the regulations.

Josh
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Aston University
Hi there,

The mystery of classification regulations can be highly confusing. I believe that C does in fact correlate with the fact that that student also needs to fall into the prior 2% bracket. Without that logic you could technically be awarded a first class mark with an overall of 55%

Take it as you need to fulfill section B to have section C apply to you but let me look into this further for you and ask the people who wrote the regulations.

Josh

This is something that I would like confirming. Does this apply to 67.5% or is it 68% to be considered for upgrade to a first class degree?
It says 2.0% BELOW automatic, therefore 67.5%. Devalues getting a first though if you just allow people getting a 2:1 to be promoted. However if you've got 8 modules as firsts but the other 8 drag you down, it seems that 67.5% becomes automatically a first. I doubt they'd invoke C without B being in play first though.

Quick Reply

Latest