The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Valvopus
Yeah I think I'll have a go at it over summer, just ran off a few pages now and realised how much of the system I have problems with. I might need to split it up into a few different points because I realised a huge part is the university relying on people who are struggling to say something. That is impossible for some people so for them the support systems effectively don't even exist because clearly if you don't say anything then everyone should just assume you're fine.

Very good point. Writing articles like that is very difficult, but I think, if you make sure, it is written very objectively with kind of a scientific undertone, not generalising but listening cause and effect and ways out of it would be really beneficial.

And with people struggling to say something, that is so true. Furthermore I think, it is even more difficult, if the others say nothing, too, just assuming, that it works like that, because nobody wants to change and the others only don't change, because they think the others would tell, if they wanted.
Original post by Odd socks
nothing is holding my attention today. none of the games I would usually enjoy are fun, I don't feel like watching any films that would usually cheer me up, I can't focus on reading anything :frown:

Not even sleep can help?
Original post by Anon_98
Oh right okay. :smile: Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask but.. if someone were to 'trigger warn' me would it mean that we should conclude the conversation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry didnt see this! Silly TSR app for not showing up whos quoted who! :fuhrer:

Looks like furry has already answered your question, sorry i didnt explain it well, its not a warning to you, though someone may ask you to spoiler something, such as if you mentioned maybe someone hit you say a family member, it may get asked to be spoilered as there may be domestic abuse victims here which may see that and it may trigger them into a flash back or something.

But thats not a warning thats just a polite reminder to look out for others as we are all vulnrable to certain things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nathanielle
Not even sleep can help?

I think that's what I'll do now, I'll try and get some sleep. I've a feeling my life is going to be like this all month, I can't get enough hours at work to keep me busy so I'm just rotting away in the house :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
In general, if people are talking about food or abuse or something that could be otherwise upsetting/triggering to other people they will put what they're saying in a spoiler and add a trigger warning (or tw) on the top, for example

TW abuse

Spoiler

So it's not so much that someone will warn you for being triggering, although this will sometimes happen and either you'd be expected to edit a post or a mod will do it for you, more that you do it to help keep other people safe. On a similar note it is against the rules for people to talk about self harm or suicide, to protect themselves if someone were to respond inappropriately and other people from being triggered.

Sorry for the ramble, hope that helps a bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohhhhh- no you didn't ramble at all, that was explained perfectly. - I truly understand it now, properly. Thank you. - It takes a while for me to get things sometimes, hope I didn't waste a lot of your time. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Sorry didnt see this! Silly TSR app for not showing up whos quoted who! :fuhrer:

Looks like furry has already answered your question, sorry i didnt explain it well, its not a warning to you, though someone may ask you to spoiler something, such as if you mentioned maybe someone hit you say a family member, it may get asked to be spoilered as there may be domestic abuse victims here which may see that and it may trigger them into a flash back or something.

But thats not a warning thats just a polite reminder to look out for others as we are all vulnrable to certain things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that's absolutely fine- I have the same problem ahah, really irritating!

Yes, s/he has. No, I read over it right now- you explained it really well- its just me ahah. Thank you for clarifying further, that makes a lot of sense now. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Valvopus
:wavey:

Sorry, can't seem to quote your post properly, but totally agree with everything said :sadnod:

Something I find really horrific about Oxford (dunno whether this happens at Cambridge) is

Spoiler

Might be a long night :frown: really struggling with my breathing for some reason :frown: seems to have eased now iv taken my blue in haler, but still doesnt feel right :s-smilie: never had it this bad in years

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks so much for the replies guys, was reading them while waiting at the doc's. :smile:

I'm not in hospital! :woo: Got a med change and made a promise that I'll go to the ER if I'm unsafe. Love my wife so much, she spoke up and got me out of the worst which is awesome - though she told me that I better not make her regret it. I feel like that's a lot of pressure but hopefully the med change makes things easier. Really hoping I don't put all the weight I've worked hard to lose back on. :/

Thanks guys.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
Thanks so much for the replies guys, was reading them while waiting at the doc's. :smile:

I'm not in hospital! :woo: Got a med change and made a promise that I'll go to the ER if I'm unsafe. Love my wife so much, she spoke up and got me out of the worst which is awesome - though she told me that I better not make her regret it. I feel like that's a lot of pressure but hopefully the med change makes things easier. Really hoping I don't put all the weight I've worked hard to lose back on. :/

Thanks guys.

That's great news! So happy to hear it! (I'll still light my candle though.)
Not good. Wide awake. Feel "off" and spaced out. :cry2:
Original post by CescaD96
That's great news! So happy to hear it! (I'll still light my candle though.)

Thank you. :smile:

Have you quit the abilify entirely? Stopping antipsychotics suddenly can sometimes make you feel spaced out so that might explain it. :console:
Original post by Sabertooth
Thank you. :smile:

Have you quit the abilify entirely? Stopping antipsychotics suddenly can sometimes make you feel spaced out so that might explain it. :console:

Yes, I have. But yesterday and today have been the worst ever - and it's different. Over the weekend when I stopped th Abilify I would just get the shakes. I started feeling like this Monday during my exam and it's stayed.

------
I'm being assessed today. :eek: Personality traits and all.
Hello. 4:10 and I'm awake.
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Hello. 4:10 and I'm awake.

Hi, been awake for the last hour!
I've already taken my medication too. I've sorta had breakfast there now.
Hi, been awake for the last hour!

Did you nap/go to sleep early and wake up then? :p:
Did you nap/go to sleep early and wake up then? :p:

Fell asleep around 10ish. I did nap for 2 hours in the afternoon, only cause the previous night I had woken up early too. And I even took a sleeping tablet. :tongue:
Fell asleep around 10ish. I did nap for 2 hours in the afternoon, only cause the previous night I had woken up early too. And I even took a sleeping tablet. :tongue:

Hmm my sleeping pattern is dodgy too-probably cos of the meds. I do try to tell people but they don't listen!! On that note I should probably try to sleep, good night :smile:
Hmm my sleeping pattern is dodgy too-probably cos of the meds. I do try to tell people but they don't listen!! On that note I should probably try to sleep, good night :smile:

Good night too, I hope you can sleep! I've tried, no luck.

Latest