The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by sampowell92
Hi all. What is considered a competitive score in the UKCAT? I know it varies between unis but are there any benchmarks for what will be required for 2016 entry?

There will be cutoff scores, but universities can't set them until everyone has taken the UKCAT and they know how everyone did.

Last year the cutoffs were around;

Warwick - 710ish but with extra weight on VR section.

Newcastle and Kings 725ish.

These are just off the top of my head, I could be slightly off but it gives you an idea of what a good score is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
There will be cutoff scores, but universities can't set them until everyone has taken the UKCAT and they know how everyone did.

Last year the cutoffs were around;

Warwick - 710ish but with extra weight on VR section.

Newcastle and Kings 725ish.

These are just off the top of my head, I could be slightly off but it gives you an idea of what a good score is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks Liam. I'm assuming those cutoffs are for graduate entry and not undergrad entry? From what I understand the grad cutoffs are much higher than for undergrads?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 562
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I'd forgotten how much I disliked the UCAS form.

Whilst filling it out I noticed that you can select 2016 entry or defer until 2017. I didn't know this was possible with Medicine?

I remember somebody on tsr deferred their St Georges offer this year. I haven't looked into it myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 563
Original post by sampowell92
Thanks Liam. I'm assuming those cutoffs are for graduate entry and not undergrad entry? From what I understand the grad cutoffs are much higher than for undergrads?

Yep and yep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd forgotten how much I disliked the UCAS form.

Whilst filling it out I noticed that you can select 2016 entry or defer until 2017. I didn't know this was possible with Medicine?

Some will accept deferred undergraduate applications but I don't think any GEM courses do.
Will anybody else be applying for both undergraduate and graduate course entry? Does anybody know if the undergraduate course A-Level reuqirments change if holding a degree? Liverpool are asking for 3 As of which I only have 2 and a B.
Original post by Carlos.D
Will anybody else be applying for both undergraduate and graduate course entry? Does anybody know if the undergraduate course A-Level reuqirments change if holding a degree? Liverpool are asking for 3 As of which I only have 2 and a B.

Most universities state their requirements for graduates on the five year course on their website. Often they will have more relaxed A-level requirements if you have a degree, but some still want AAA.
Kings, SGUL and Newcastle all accept deferrals if anyone is thinking about 2017 entry!
Reply 568
I think I've decided I'm going to sit the GAMSAT instead of chemistry/bio A level. I didn't realise how expensive doing the A level was so the GAMSAT seems cheap compared to it!

I'm going to change my UKCAT from start of August to start of July so that I can revise more.

Is this enough time to revise? I really didn't want to sit this but I would rather do it to open up choices for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, UCAS forms. How I have not missed you.....
Original post by Carlos.D

I will be - and the Unis I contacted (Exeter, Plymouth and a few others) have different criteria for graduates - some want GAMSAT some will look over the whole application and decide accordingly...

You may need to check with all of them to confirm...
Original post by tw781
I think I've decided I'm going to sit the GAMSAT instead of chemistry/bio A level. I didn't realise how expensive doing the A level was so the GAMSAT seems cheap compared to it!

I'm going to change my UKCAT from start of August to start of July so that I can revise more.

Is this enough time to revise? I really didn't want to sit this but I would rather do it to open up choices for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you should do it. I'm just starting GAMSAT revision too (alongside UKCAT revision). I decided not to go down the A-Level route for the same reasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm reading the 600 UKCAT book, in particular the 'Decision Analysis' section and my Philosophy degree is finally coming in handy here! It's very similar to symbolic logic (if anyone else ever had the misfortune of studying that!).
Hey, I'm not sure if this has already been covered but I haven't read through all of the posts on this thread... Does anyone know the round about UKCAT score that people should be aiming for when applying to GEM? I'm aware that it's higher than for undergraduate courses and obviously changes year to year depending on national performance. I have never sat the test before and so I am not quite sure what is a good result...
Thanks!
Reply 573
I think you should do it. I'm just starting GAMSAT revision too (alongside UKCAT revision). I decided not to go down the A-Level route for the same reasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm reading the 600 UKCAT book, in particular the 'Decision Analysis' section and my Philosophy degree is finally coming in handy here! It's very similar to symbolic logic (if anyone else ever had the misfortune of studying that!).

We can do this! How are you revising for GAMSAT?

Haha lucky you!! Nice head start!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ruth_glasgow
Hey, I'm not sure if this has already been covered but I haven't read through all of the posts on this thread... Does anyone know the round about UKCAT score that people should be aiming for when applying to GEM? I'm aware that it's higher than for undergraduate courses and obviously changes year to year depending on national performance. I have never sat the test before and so I am not quite sure what is a good result...
Thanks!

Obviously it varies wildly between unis and years, but I would say that you're probably safe if you manage 725 or higher, more would obviously be safer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 575
Just rescheduled my UKCAT earlier so I have more time to focus on just GAMSAT. Not registrered for GAMSAT yet. AH SCARED
Reply 576
What prep are people doing for UKCAT then?
Does anyone know where to find the number of places per university? I can't find it....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tw781
What prep are people doing for UKCAT then?

I am planning to use this (http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/preparation) and then see if any reading material I can get. got a week off work so I will spending that time revising
Original post by Angelofashes92
Does anyone know where to find the number of places per university? I can't find it....

They are usually on the University websites of each course +/ prospectus...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending