The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

F215 is really boring :frown:
Original post by baffledchick
what are the ums scores overall for each grade for the whole a level?

a = 480 b=420 c=360 d=300 e =240
Reply 1102
Original post by medactuary
If you limit light intensity - what happens to the amount of TP in the calvin cycle?

RuBP decreases (TP isn't converted to RuBP)
GP increases (as remaining RuBP is still carboxylated)

So TP accumulates? Even though GP can't be converted to TP?

Lower light intensity so less ATP & reduced NADP produced in light-dependent stage.
But ATP and reduced NADP are required to convert GP to TP, so less GP can be converted to TP. Therefore GP concentration increases, while the concentration of TP decreases
RuBP is still being converted into GP (and less TP being converted to RuBP) so RuBP concentration decreases.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by maisie__x
a = 480 b=420 c=360 d=300 e =240

Thank you! Trying to see what I need overall, I have 212 UMS at AS, I think achieving an A is now impossible
Original post by baffledchick
Thank you! Trying to see what I need overall, I have 212 UMS at AS, I think achieving an A is now impossible

Remember to add your A2 coursework to that as well? :smile: You could achieve an A but you'd probably need nearly full UMS in both exams this year
Original post by maisie__x
Remember to add your A2 coursework to that as well? :smile: You could achieve an A but you'd probably need nearly full UMS in both exams this year

I'm really annoyed I messed up my BIO 2 retake, I might have to settle for the B, full UMS in unit 5 is looking like a myth. Thanks :smile:
thanks!
In Light independent reaction , how many TP are produced in 1 turn of the cycle? is it 1tp or 2 tp's?
Reply 1108
Predictions for unit 4 and 5?
Original post by Beni24
In Light independent reaction , how many TP are produced in 1 turn of the cycle? is it 1tp or 2 tp's?

2x TP are made every turn of the cycle.

I haven't looked at Unit 5, am I screwed? :/
Does anyone have any predictions of which topics may come up?
Original post by AnnekaChan173

You're not screwed! In my opinion whilst F215 is boring and there's a lot to learn, it's a lot easier and some of the topics, like animal/plant responses, are really small and quick to learn. Obviously the best grades come from doing past papers and learning absolutely everything, but I still think you can get a decent enough grade on F215 by skimming over some things. Some of the questions on past papers seem like common sense, advantages and disadvantages of things :smile:

(that being said look over the ecosystems topic if nothing else, there's always loads on that)
Original post by Beni24

You start with RUBP (5c), carbon fixation into an intermediate compound (6C) before breaking down into Gylcerate-3-phosphate (2x3C), which is converted into TP (2x3C)

Wow, you seemed better prepared than most of us in this thread. I don't know how you're spreading yourself for the other subjects but if you allocate maybe 2-4 hours a day solely on unit 5, you could very well set yourself up for a good grade in a fortnight
Original post by BioAgent
F215 is really boring :frown:

Ranked most interesting to most boring imo:

Unit 5
Unit 4
Unit 1
Unit 2

I really didn't like the classification/biodiversity/ecology/evolution chapters. At least in unit 5 we do some better ecology like the nitrogen cycle

Thank you! :smile: This is unit 4, but yeah dont worry I havent even looked at unit 5 yet haha Im just going to concentrate on unit 4 :smile:
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Ranked most interesting to most boring imo:

Unit 5
Unit 4
Unit 1
Unit 2

I really didn't like the classification/biodiversity/ecology/evolution chapters. At least in unit 5 we do some better ecology like the nitrogen cycle

I suppose If you like general biology then unit 5 is more your thing but I like human biology especially physiology stuff so I found 4 and 1 to be most interesting.
Original post by Shostakovish
Difference between Lamellae and Thylakoids?

Further to my previous response, if in the exam they asked us to label a lamella in the chloroplast, I think it's best to label an intergranal lamella (the extension of the thylakoid membrane which connects two grana).

:smile:
What synoptic stuff comes up in unit 4?
Has anyone done January 2013 paper for F214? Can someone please explain how they got percentage answer? i dont understand :?
Original post by Bethanwhitexx
has anyone got any slight predictions for F214 my teacher is crap and I have received no guide on what to focus a lot on!! so stuffed for this exam :frown:

I personally suggest revising past papers from 2013 and 2012 because I highly doubt that they'd be repeating the same questions as last year's :wink: I did thatfor f212 and f211 exams and it was on point :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending