The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History 6HI03/C2 - USA - June 8th 2015 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarahalouane
WIN_20150607_171909.jpg
Let me know if you need any more, the only one i dont have is mccarthism as im not bothering to revise it as its my worst topic and it cam up last year

Do you have ones for the 40 mark depression questions, causes and how Hoover handled it?
What are everyones predictions?
WIN_20150607_173606.jpg

The left are the causes, the right is why it lasted so long, the stuff Hoover failed to do is top right :smile: Once you know the main points you just have to adapt it to the question

Original post by TomRussell26
Do you have ones for the 40 mark depression questions, causes and how Hoover handled it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 143
Original post by Drunken Bard
Don't forget the urban/rural divide. Many farmers and share croppers felt no benefits from the boom.

Thanks! Do you have any specific details about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is everyone predicting for part B (the constroversy that ISN'T to do with New deal/ roosevelt)
Original post by stressedbrownboy
What is everyone predicting for part B (the constroversy that ISN'T to do with New deal/ roosevelt)

how hoover handled the depression

I think it'll be impact of the depression
Original post by ycullebanna
What are everyones predictions?

- im guessing something on social/political tensions - im leaning towards prohibition/women as KKK and immigration have already been up

- also, im really banking on rural VS. urban

- how effective were the policies of the 1920s?

- mccarthyism maybe

- maybe something on impact of wwi as the chapter has never been up before
how hoover handled the depression

Didn't the question involve Hoover last year?
Those are the 4 topics im most confident on!! i really hope one of them comes up so i can gt at least an A in this paper. How are you feeling for the 40 mark?

Haven't really done much work for the 40 mark, but hope its how hoover handled the depression
Original post by elliemarling
- im guessing something on social/political tensions - im leaning towards prohibition/women as KKK and immigration have already been up

- also, im really banking on rural VS. urban

- how effective were the policies of the 1920s?

- mccarthyism maybe

- maybe something on impact of wwi as the chapter has never been up before

Prohibition was on in 2013 and I'm pretty sure something to do with McCarthyism/Communism was on last year too?
Original post by JoshH3
Thanks! Do you have any specific details about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main issue was that during the war, the government subsidised farmers to grow food for the war effort. Agricultural production rates were through the roof, issue was at the wars end the subsidies from the government were repealed, but production didn't fall, leading to a massive surplus in food and a huge drop in prices.

Also, most of rural America had no electricity as it simply wasn't worth electric companies time and money to connect rural areas to the grid. The worst off were the share croppers, who were mostly black. This directly links to the mass internal migration of Black Americans into "ghettos" as they found rural life wasn't profitable and moved into the cities to find new income. In effect the depression hit the rural communities a decade before everyone else.
Haven't really done much work for the 40 mark, but hope its how hoover handled the depression

Tbh once you know the structure you'll be fine as the majority of the marks are for source work just make sure you drop in bits of own knowledge and you can easily get 35+
Can someone sum up the rural vs urban divide?
Is it just KKK, prohibition, women, scopes trial?

i think it might have, but im sure it was about republican policies or something, unless thats basically how he handled it, i dont know?

It will be either

a) Hoover's response to the depression was effective/ineffective

b) The effects of the depression social/economic

c) The causes of the depression (Asks wether a certain aspect was solely responsible ie: The market crash)

last year it was how republican policies caused the GD but if how hoover handled it comes up, that would be why it lasted so long so it could come up this year as theyre completely different questions
Original post by Frank Costello
Can someone sum up the rural vs urban divide?
Is it just KKK, prohibition, women, scopes trial?

To sum it up.

Rural communities felt no effects from the boom. Agriculture was depressed already, no electricity in many parts, many (Particularly African Americans) move to cities seeking better living standards.

Urban communties felt under threat from such large African American migration into communities, hence why the KKK support spiked.
last year it was how republican policies caused the GD but if how hoover handled it comes up, that would be why it lasted so long so it could come up this year as theyre completely different questions

Ah thank you so much! Causes has been up 3 years in a row now so it would make sense for it to be about how it was prolonged I guess.
Ah thank you so much! Causes has been up 3 years in a row now so it would make sense for it to be about how it was prolonged I guess.

No problem! im hoping it is, i find it easier to talk about why it lasted so long rather than what caused it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending