The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mani119
Who found this test much harder than the first?

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
:/

But i think i did well :wink: -ish
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 301
I sat this paper with no problems and was surprised with the fuss created, maths is about applying knowledge not just memorising formulas and also not everyone can get an a*, if everyone passed there would have been no point in sitting the exam. I see no point in this petition and all of the hype is demeaning to those who are good at maths and those who have put in the effort to do well, also if the paper was very easy it would be really hard to get the top grades as the boundaries would have been really high and people may have begun to lose the grades on stupid mistakes not lack of actual mathematical knowledge or kill.
Reply 302
Original post by Bobbbobbob
I get your point, but no one would be ranting if it really required just the 'pinch of a thought.' And of course if the more able students got it, then that would also be normal.

But the fact that the entire country was completely stumped by not only that question but a good half dozen of them is a little much. One or two weird questions, OK, but the whole second half of the paper confused the large majority of students. .

I would just like to point out that many of the more able students did get the answer however we are not the people ranting and raving all over the social media and so have been overlooked for the most part.

Original post by Blaz1ng
Hey, you think it's a problem when that happens? Are students not expecting to get some questions that actually test their understanding in the Linear paper?

In my Level 1/2 Certificate papers 3H/4H, there were a couple of questions in both papers that I didn't 'expect' to have to do. However I understand maths, so after 10minutes of thinking about a question and writing some potential workings, I figured it out and solved the problem.
The whole point of maths is being able to understand it and apply it.

Just because some poor little students weren't taught that EXACT question in class does not mean the question was unjustifiable. Teachers can't teach students every single possible question, there are an infinite number of possible applications, and the teacher's job is to help the student understand the subject. If they simply aren't as capable a mathematician, then they won't be able to apply their knowledge. If they were, they would've been able to figure out that question with just a pinch of thought.
If they are capable enough and they came out not being able to answer it and ranting about it, then they clearly either a) aren't as capable as you thought or b) They gave up instantly and didn't persist, which is their fault.

I think it was a perfectly reasonable question, and it was one that tests which candidates actually understand the subject vs which ones just attempted to memorise the questions they'd practiced in class.

This is perfect. :smile:
I think I missed out two pages and skipped them when I was turning the pages and now I don't know what to do. but I'm not sure because we can't discuss questions anymore
Reply 304
Original post by mani119
Who found this test much harder than the first?

Much easier mate
When edexcel make the papers some are harder than others but they do adjust the grade boundaries fairly to keep their marks up. I agree this was a much harder paper than ones in the past but just leave it to edexcel because kicking up a fuss wont make matters better.
Reply 306
Original post by aamirac
I think I missed out two pages and skipped them when I was turning the pages and now I don't know what to do. but I'm not sure because we can't discuss questions anymore

What do u mean discuss? And u probably lost about 10 marks
Original post by aahmad
What do u mean discuss? And u probably lost about 10 marks

Yeah I know 😁. I'm freaking out! As in we can't talk about answers and questions as there are other students in different time zones that do this paper that can get the answers.
no point worrying now, you all did your best (obiusly) you will get the grade that you desereve, now start revising for the next two exams and look forward to the 3 months holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its actually the top 10% who are allowed to get A*
Reply 310
What did people get for amount of soil Fred needed?
Original post by aamirac
Yeah I know 😁. I'm freaking out! As in we can't talk about answers and questions as there are other students in different time zones that do this paper that can get the answers.

We can talk about paper one and tomorrow we'll be able to talk about paper 2 :smile:
Original post by sasankaupaman
no point worrying now, you all did your best (obiusly) you will get the grade that you desereve, now start revising for the next two exams and look forward to the 3 months holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said! Can't believe we've only got two exams left - I had 18 or 19 in total but some of my friends had like 25 :O :O
Might even get a job this summer!!

Having said that I need to get a move on with Chemistry haha :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
the maths paper was to hard past papers were not suitable to the questions that had previously come up. the questions were badly worded aswell
Petition over 30000... oh dear.
some I saw some statistics its like 3.7%
Reply 316
Full paper with mark scheme / model answers here:

Maths A Paper 2 Higher Calculator 1MA02H- 8 June 2105.pdf
http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/MSo2wk86/file.html
Original post by yolande1
so this petition has been going around, directed towards edexcel to lower the grade boundaries for todays maths paper 1. Over 10,000 people have signed it.
Thoughts?

How do I sign up to the petition ?
Original post by TheRedStar
Its actually the top 10% who are allowed to get A*

A few pages back was a statistical data sheet from Edexcel, showing that last year ~6% got A*.

Latest

Trending

Trending