The Student Room Group

Super HARD C3 question.

Thank you in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hajs
Thank you in advance.

Are you sure this is C3? It is easily provable (took some thinking) with the tan compound angle formula, but I don't know how to solve this in C3 terms (then again, I don't know the spec and compound angles could be in C3). Also, it is definitely correct - check with a calculator - I just can't think how to prove it otherwise which is kinda bothering me :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Duskstar
Are you sure this is C3? It is easily provable (took some thinking) with the tan compound angle formula, but I don't know how to solve this in C3 terms (then again, I don't know the spec and compound angles could be in C3). Also, it is definitely correct - check with a calculator - I just can't think how to prove it otherwise which is kinda bothering me :/

Yes its definitely C3. Shall i send the answer? Maybe that can help to explain it..??
Reply 3

Just googled it, yes it is that formula, never heard of it before.. care to explain?
Original post by hajs
Yes its definitely C3. Shall i send the answer? Maybe that can help to explain it..??

Yes, that would help explain it (I want to know now too :P )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
hep.png
(edited 8 years ago)

That uses the compound angle formula but without saying it is. I don't remember being taught that as just a standalone rule so I'm guessing you were expected to know the compound angle formulae :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
That uses the compound angle formula but without saying it is. I don't remember being taught that as just a standalone rule so I'm guessing you were expected to know the compound angle formulae :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

So is it not C3? It came up in one of the C3 elmwood papers in doing.. Is it further maths or something

Can you still explain it to me..
Original post by hajs
So is it not C3? It came up in one of the C3 elmwood papers in doing.. Is it further maths or something

Can you still explain it to me..

I guess it's a case of different boards - I do OCR MEI and I'm pretty sure we don't do compound angles until C4. Regardless, here's a page with all the formulae on

http://www.mathsrevision.net/advanced-level-maths-revision/pure-maths/trigonometry/compound-angle-formulae

The one used here is the forumla for tan(a - b), because the gradient is equal to the tan of the angle that the gradient makes with the x axis, and the angle between the two is the larger (a) minus the smaller (b). In this case, tana = 1, and tanb = 1/3. The second line of the answer is the substitution of those values into the expansion for tan(a - b) which is on the website I linked. This leaves you with a value for tan theta and then you can take atan of both sides and qed.
Original post by hajs

x

x

The angle θ\theta between two lines of gradients m1,m2m_1, m_2 is given by:

tanθ=m1m21+m1m2tan\theta = |\dfrac{m_1 - m_2}{1+m_1m_2}|
Original post by lizard54142
The angle θ\theta between two lines of gradients m1,m2m_1, m_2 is given by:

tanθ=m1m21+m1m2tan\theta = |\dfrac{m_1 - m_2}{1+m_1m_2}|

But that's literally an abstraction of the tan double angle formula. Are there any exam boards which have that on the spec then?
But that's literally an abstraction of the tan double angle formula. Are there any exam boards which have that on the spec then?

I'm not sure to be honest. It's a pretty standard result.
Reply 12
Original post by hajs
Thank you in advance.

it is nice to be able to do this (all mathematicians to be should be able to do this)
but this is NOT in the C3 specification of any board...
Where is this question from?
Reply 14
Original post by Super199
Where is this question from?

an Emwood paper ...
Original post by TeeEm
an Emwood paper ...

Are the papers any good?
Reply 16
Original post by Super199
Are the papers any good?

I could not possibly comment on a public forum ...
Reply 17
I've heard IYGB papers are good. Solomon, Elmwood etc. all wish they could be as good as IYGB.

Spoiler

Reply 18
Original post by notnek
I've heard IYGB papers are good. Solomon, Elmwood etc. all wish they could be as good as IYGB.

Spoiler

I will give you 50% of what I earn from them ...
Original post by TeeEm
I will give you 50% of what I earn from them ...

Next year I'm not going to do weekly problem sheets.

Instead I will opt to hand in worked solutions to TeeEm's undergrad questions.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest