The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Physics P7

Started from b123 and now we're here....
this is my last exam! so happy! some people are taking further maths i believe... but my school didn't offer it :frown:

so anyways, how's everyone feeling for this exam? i took gcse astronomy in year 9 so i'm pretty confident, although i hate the reflecting/refracting telescope stuff.

any 6 marker predictions?

Scroll to see replies

First :P
Oh god physics is going to kill me.
Reply 3
Hey guys I'll post some questions again like last time soon for you if anyone found the chem ones useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Here is the 2014 P7 paper and the mark scheme.

Good luck.
Probably data questions and evaluation of different stars
Reply 6
Original post by Jitesh
Hey guys I'll post some questions again like last time soon for you if anyone found the chem ones useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^^^^ Yes please 6 marker predictions were really helpful for chemistry, so thank you!!!
Reply 7
Original post by tessa332
^^^^^ Yes please 6 marker predictions were really helpful for chemistry, so thank you!!!

Aha I didn't have c7 predictions but I have mathy/understanding ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
do we have to memorise the hubble constant or do they give it to you in the exam??
Original post by kxylah
do we have to memorise the hubble constant or do they give it to you in the exam??

99% sure they'll give it to you in the exam. There's no way we're supposed to remember such an arbitrary figure to such a high degree of accuracy. Also, I remember the Hubble constant being given to us in a past paper that I done when calculating a galaxy's recession velocity.
Reply 10
Could someone post the formula sheet and the topics we need to learn?
Original post by kxylah
this is my last exam! so happy! some people are taking further maths i believe... but my school didn't offer it :frown:

so anyways, how's everyone feeling for this exam? i took gcse astronomy in year 9 so i'm pretty confident, although i hate the reflecting/refracting telescope stuff.

I really hate P7! I get so confused with everything :frown:
Would you be able to explain cepheid variables because I dont understand how they can figure out how far away they are?? And also why is it that some images are magnified, diminished or real/virtual? THank you very much :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by kxylah

I was told they would give you the information to work it out if anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by 10evanse
I really hate P7! I get so confused with everything :frown:
Would you be able to explain cepheid variables because I dont understand how they can figure out how far away they are?? And also why is it that some images are magnified, diminished or real/virtual? THank you very much :smile:

Cepheid variable stars change in brightness over a period. The longer the period, the brighter they are. You can use the visible brightness to see what their period is. This can then be compared to reference stars.

The general relationship between luminosity and period is this:
Higher period = higher luminosity.

By finding their brightness, they can calculate the distance using the parallax effect (relative and real brightness).

If I am wrong correct me, this is just off the top of my head since I haven't revised P7 yet.
Reply 14
Original post by derpz
Cepheid variable stars change in luminosity over a period. The longer the period, the greater the luminosity. You can use the visible brightness to see what their period is. This can then be compared to reference stars.

The general relationship between luminosity and period is this:
Higher period = higher luminosity.

By finding their brightness, they can calculate the distance using the parallax effect (relative and real brightness).

If I am wrong correct me, this is just off the top of my head since I haven't revised P7 yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by kxylah

FML I hate physics so bad....it's maths (good) mixed with atheist bull**** (not so good). If you know Einstein's formula E = MC^2 (which he ripped off some german scientist and got a nobel prize for), how photons work, and how weed helped hubble find Hubble's constant, then you should be good :tongue:

Shame you're not doing further maths, it's beast. You doing it in college at least?
Further maths is basicly a tonne of curved graphs, finding gradients of tangents, matrices, algebra, circle theorems & graphs, sexy trigonometry, and every question is basicly worth more than most pussies (normally 4 to 5 marks, if you're a nerd it's super easy to score). There's normally like 15 to 17 questions too, so it doesn't take long to finish you could probably get high and **** some bitches halfway through and still pass. Oh yeah it's also about floating triangle doritos, shame physics isn't about that :/

Spoiler

Reply 16
Original post by Jitesh
Aha I didn't have c7 predictions but I have mathy/understanding ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

We meet again brah :h:
Taking one for the team, and lowering the grade boundaries for us all.

IT HATE THIS TOPIC - it's all interconnected, but one minute there I am learning about gas laws and then BOOM telescope - it just seems like too much? Plus the lenses/telescope things make me want to stand in the core of the Sun, so y'aknow.

Right, off to go ingest a book.
This will be the last bit of physics I will ever have to do (hopefully). I'm not looking forward to it because I find physics hard to start with and P7 is the hardest part of the course. Why did I take triple science?!?!?!?!?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by el Brah
FML I hate physics so bad....it's maths (good) mixed with atheist bull**** (not so good). If you know Einstein's formula E = MC^2 (which he ripped off some german scientist and got a nobel prize for), how photons work, and how weed helped hubble find Hubble's constant, then you should be good :tongue:

Shame you're not doing further maths, it's beast. You doing it in college at least?
Further maths is basicly a tonne of curved graphs, finding gradients of tangents, matrices, algebra, circle theorems & graphs, sexy trigonometry, and every question is basicly worth more than most pussies (normally 4 to 5 marks, if you're a nerd it's super easy to score). There's normally like 15 to 17 questions too, so it doesn't take long to finish you could probably get high and **** some bitches halfway through and still pass. Oh yeah it's also about floating triangle doritos, shame physics isn't about that :/

Spoiler

Atheist bull****? Well if you don't want to conform to what at least 95% of the Scientific community would regard as fact then feel free to justify your answers with comments such as "God flips a switch on a star and it starts to glow", and other wonderfully accurate assumptions made by Christians about the Universe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending