The Student Room Group

AQA English Language A A2 (ENGA3) 2015.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I actually found that exam pretty easy!
First part was a standard language change essay, second part I done political correctness in relation to addressing gender (with a few gender elements but not many) how did everyone else find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 161
Hey. I took this exam this morning and found it sooo hard! I chose the variation question and, this may sound silly, but was it on regional accent and dialect? - I read that it wanted you to comment on his dialect but then I realised that his grammar was similar to Jamaican Creole and I didn't know if you had to link in about ethnicity in some way, even though he seemed to be using lots of variation. For the first bullet point I commented on sentence types, verbs, nouns etc but it felt really weak. Then, for the second bullet point I mentioned all of the accent and dialect stuff I had but the identity confused me. Also, for the third question, if you included gender and PC theorists, ie. Janet Hyde and also the Euphemism treadmill, language reform etc do both count towards the marks? I was also so confused with how it linked it to change. I know I haven't really posted anything on this forum before, but I'm extremely worried about this exam and just thought I'd ask if anyone else felt the pressure of this exam and still is really confused about it.
Reply 162
Original post by Elel123
Hey. I took this exam this morning and found it sooo hard! I chose the variation question and, this may sound silly, but was it on regional accent and dialect? - I read that it wanted you to comment on his dialect but then I realised that his grammar was similar to Jamaican Creole and I didn't know if you had to link in about ethnicity in some way, even though he seemed to be using lots of variation. For the first bullet point I commented on sentence types, verbs, nouns etc but it felt really weak. Then, for the second bullet point I mentioned all of the accent and dialect stuff I had but the identity confused me. Also, for the third question, if you included gender and PC theorists, ie. Janet Hyde and also the Euphemism treadmill, language reform etc do both count towards the marks? I was also so confused with how it linked it to change. I know I haven't really posted anything on this forum before, but I'm extremely worried about this exam and just thought I'd ask if anyone else felt the pressure of this exam and still is really confused about it.

Oh, and also, I sort of merged the two bullet points in question three. I was beyond confused!
Original post by Elel123

I'm the exact same as you! I felt as though I'd just been chucked into a random exam and didn't have a clue what was going on. My a01 labelling is so weak and I didn't even understand that the gender and the language change meant PC. I ended up writing that due to the Norman conquest they brought in French words such as madam which has negative connotations, I was literally rambling on about stupid stuff - even feminists. I'm really disappointed with how it went and I feel as though the questions weren't clear like they have been in previous years
Reply 164
PC is under language change so I'm sure you'll be fine and if you spoke about that but I found it very hard! How did people not realise it was PC when it was the heading of the second text ahah?!
Original post by Ilydia
PC is under language change so I'm sure you'll be fine and if you spoke about that but I found it very hard! How did people not realise it was PC when it was the heading of the second text ahah?!

I know this is why I'm kicking myself!!!!!!! I'm just so annoyed, I didn't even mention PC once
My timing was messed up! I did fine on question 1 but then question 3 had me a little confused cause it gave us quite a few word classes and I was like wait, can I include this 😟

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 167
Original post by Liaamm
I actually found that exam pretty easy!
First part was a standard language change essay, second part I done political correctness in relation to addressing gender (with a few gender elements but not many) how did everyone else find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well done! hopefully we have done okay! thanks for your support too !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168
The only thing I really mentioned on question three that was related to gender was the 'Ms.Magazine' the changing 'women' to 'womyn' Then mentioned overlexical representation and words such as 'mankind' and 'humanity' and so on😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
My analysis for question three was so bad I kind of just rushed into the debate thing oh well we can't do anything now thank you for all the help and good luck!
Reply 170
Stop stressing everyone!!! It's over and we're freee. Worry about it on results day, I'm sure you've all done well. Thank you for all the support, you guys helped me so much 😊 I personally found section B ridiculously hard but hey ho, enjoy your summer lovelys and GOOD LUCK XXXXX

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 171
Original post by mcbb
Stop stressing everyone!!! It's over and we're freee. Worry about it on results day, I'm sure you've all done well. Thank you for all the support, you guys helped me so much 😊 I personally found section B ridiculously hard but hey ho, enjoy your summer lovelys and GOOD LUCK XXXXX

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still have one more exam😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have one more exam too fml
Original post by maisiemclaughlin
I'm the exact same as you! I felt as though I'd just been chucked into a random exam and didn't have a clue what was going on. My a01 labelling is so weak and I didn't even understand that the gender and the language change meant PC. I ended up writing that due to the Norman conquest they brought in French words such as madam which has negative connotations, I was literally rambling on about stupid stuff - even feminists. I'm really disappointed with how it went and I feel as though the questions weren't clear like they have been in previous years

exactly how i felt!! I was so confused as to what the questions were actually asking for us to write :frown:
Reply 174
People still have exams?!!! Sounds horrendous 😰😰

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 175
Original post by mcbb
People still have exams?!!! Sounds horrendous 😰😰

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I know :frown: :frown: :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 176
guys at least we got through that english exam!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 177
I'm so glad I found this thread!!! For section B i talked about gender markers, generic masculines, reflectionism, determinism but then I kind of twisted the question and spoke about dominance, diversity and deficit because the q asked about how language is used to represent gender so i started babbling on about stereotypes.....think i've failed reading what everyone else has put :frown:

Can anyone help me out though, for the second bullet point in q1 and 3 I didn't refer to the texts because it didn't say to and q2 did specifically say to refer to the texts...should i have done it anyway?! I looked at past papers online and they normally always specify for you to refer to the texts :colondollar:
Reply 178
Original post by nat214
I'm so glad I found this thread!!! For section B i talked about gender markers, generic masculines, reflectionism, determinism but then I kind of twisted the question and spoke about dominance, diversity and deficit because the q asked about how language is used to represent gender so i started babbling on about stereotypes.....think i've failed reading what everyone else has put :frown:

Can anyone help me out though, for the second bullet point in q1 and 3 I didn't refer to the texts because it didn't say to and q2 did specifically say to refer to the texts...should i have done it anyway?! I looked at past papers online and they normally always specify for you to refer to the texts :colondollar:

if you did question 1 it didn't say that we had analyse text B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
Original post by may_1
if you did question 1 it didn't say that we had analyse text B

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you 😊 But I meant referring to the texts in the second bullet point. My college taught us to do the analysis as the first half of the answer and then the theories and everything the second half and I didn't link them back to the texts. Sorry if I'm just being confusing haha! Like when I wrote about linguistic determinism and reflectionism I didn't link it to text E or F

Also did anyone else think the guy that wrote that book had the most pretentious writing style ever?! 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending