The Student Room Group

Will the real TeeEm please stand up!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeeEm
that is about right

Hi. Just a little of the topic question, which maths/mechanics exam board do you think offers the best specification in terms of "student-friendly" and preparing for a maths degree? I saw the MEI offering much wider content than edexcel with lower boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 541
Original post by smem_96
I definitely ran out of time, wasted too much time on the eigenvector question, and then when I got to qu 7 and 8 I didn't have enough time to think about them properly, so I was just scribbling things frantically without thinking much, another 15-20 minutes and I reckon I would have been able to answer them properly and do a lot better, but unfortunately 1 1/2 hours didn't seem long enough

That is why I said on my comments in my solution post, that Q3 being question 3 must have "eaten" a lot of people. Panic must have set, time must have been wasted etc.
Original post by TeeEm
I think 1 or 2 (many people missed that)
(that part in my opinion was pants as it is very difficult to know as a student if enough has been done for the "show")

Honestly, i thought that whole show that was too trivial for 4 marks as you dont know how much to list and how much transform the reduction. Also, my friends told that the whole question is an example in the edexcel book and upon looking it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 543
Original post by Tiri
I can officially enjoy my summer now. 57 Should get me the A.

see you in the barBQ ...
Original post by TeeEm

Are you being harsh or generous with your boundaries.
Reply 545
Original post by physicsmaths
Honestly, i thought that whole show that was too trivial for 4 marks as you dont know how much to list and how much transform the reduction. Also, my friends told that the whole question is an example in the edexcel book and upon looking it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

totally stupid and a waste of ink ...
Reply 546
Original post by ThatGuyRik

on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays I think I am harsh ...
on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays I think I am generous
and on Sundays I rest!
Reply 547

... I hope I am fair with them ...
Original post by TeeEm
on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays I think I am harsh ...
on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays I think I am generous
and on Sundays I rest!

-.-
Original post by TeeEm
... I hope I am fair with them ...

Fair enough. Thanks again!
Reply 549
-.-

Fair enough. Thanks again!

no worries
Reply 550
Original post by cogito.
Hi. Just a little of the topic question, which maths/mechanics exam board do you think offers the best specification in terms of "student-friendly" and preparing for a maths degree? I saw the MEI offering much wider content than edexcel with lower boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I answered you ... I definitely did I just did not press the submit button and my long reply was lost!

Anyway.

In my opinion the most logical board is EDEXCEL, although it misses some very important topics such as

polynomial roots, general proof, volume/area/surface about any line inc the y axis, linearization of graphs, general solution of trig equations, advanced equation solving, limits, improper integrals to name a few...

MEI is in my opinion the worse board. Its structure appears to have been compiled by someone who escaped from a lunatic asylum
Original post by TeeEm
I thought I answered you ... I definitely did I just did not press the submit button and my long reply was lost!

Anyway.

In my opinion the most logical board is EDEXCEL, although it misses some very important topics such as

polynomial roots, general proof, volume/area/surface about any line inc the y axis, linearization of graphs, general solution of trig equations, advanced equation solving, limits, improper integrals to name a few...

MEI is in my opinion the worse board. Its structure appears to have been compiled by someone who escaped from a lunatic asylum

Lol edexcel don't even cover transformations in form f(ax+b) in core maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 552
Lol edexcel don't even cover transformations in form f(ax+b) in core maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

as I said to name a few ...
Original post by TeeEm
as I said to name a few ...

Is mei the one with markov chains?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 554
solutions to FP3 for those waking up late in posts 504/505
Reply 555
Is mei the one with markov chains?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is on their FP3

all these topics used to be in EDEXCEL (The old London board of the 70s and 80s)

my further maths had series and Markovs as an application of eigenvectors/values
(all the topics that are listed earlier as missing were on my course)
this is just "watering down" of A level.
Hopefully it won't reach the stage of colouring in the shapes ...
Original post by TeeEm

Anyway.

That helps a lot! Solved my worries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
solutions to FP3 for those waking up late in posts 504/505

Hello, I know you're probably busy, but I'd appreciate it if you can give me an estimate for FP3. I'm a bit worried because I massively ****ed up the vectors question.

4. (Volume of rev.) I misremembered the formula and put 2pi in front of the integral, instead of pi.

5.Basically for part (c) I did bxc then did r.(bxc) = a.(bxc) (instead of using AB, AC, etc).

For (d) my method was correct but obviously because of (c) the final answer was wrong.

8. (c). I started it, but didn't have time to complete. Basically I had (2cosθ,sinθ) (2\cos\theta, \sin\theta) and (2cosϕ,sinϕ)(2\cos\phi, \sin\phi). I worked out their midpoints then gradient, then made a straight line equation using the midpoint coordinates and simplified.

Roughly how many marks have I lost?
Reply 558
It appears that people find hard to find resources on Series for AEA.
For those sitting AEA here are some Series question which may be suitable.
I formatted this file from an undergrad resource and I hope I have not included questions by mistake which are not relevant.
Reply 559
Original post by ThatPerson
Hello, I know you're probably busy, but I'd appreciate it if you can give me an estimate for FP3. I'm a bit worried because I massively ****ed up the vectors question.

4. (Volume of rev.) I misremembered the formula and put 2pi in front of the integral, instead of pi.

5.Basically for part (c) I did bxc then did r.(bxc) = a.(bxc) (instead of using AB, AC, etc).

For (d) my method was correct but obviously because of (c) the final answer was wrong.

8. (c). I started it, but didn't have time to complete. Basically I had (2cosθ,sinθ) (2\cos\theta, \sin\theta) and (2cosϕ,sinϕ)(2\cos\phi, \sin\phi). I worked out their midpoints then gradient, then made a straight line equation using the midpoint coordinates and simplified.

Roughly how many marks have I lost?

worse case 10
best case 7

it is the last question which causes uncertainty as I have no idea what method(s) would appear on the marking scheme.

I think even -10 will be in the 90s, so why worry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending